Top Shelf Aquatics

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Im a newby- I just ordered a 'clean up crew' package based on a 15 gallon measurement of volume. This was how they determined how much to send you. I just opened a box containing seriously hundred of snails and probably at least 20-25 hermits! Most of the hermits are small so not such a big deal, but the snails are a bit overwhelming! I've been worried about my blenny not getting his fair share of algae even without the snails, so now I know he won't and in light of that, thank goodness, had ordered some 'veggie diet' along with the clean up crew.

So, my question is this; is there such a thing as 'too many snails'? Do they put off ammonia also? I ordered them (not anticipating the numbers I got) to help clean up the fish poo so I didn't have to ciphen the tank bottom daily from the blenny's larger than normal bowel movements :-/

Yes I agree that 20 to 25 hermits may be a bit much indeed for a small tank like yours, so what I would do is keep about 8 or 9, and try to either trade the others here on the forum with someone, or at an LFS locally where you are. Of course, the number is also dependent on how large they are. If they are fairly small you can keep a few more than that, say a dozen.

You'll have to have extra shells as when the grow they'll want to move in larger shells, so maybe some of the extra ones you have are empty shells (not sure as I cannot see what you have). You will have to check that out.

On the snails, not all of them usually make it, so you'll have to watch and if in a day or two or three they do not move you may just want to remove those.

Let me know whether you need more info ...

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

Algae-Eating Fishes for the Marine Aquarium

© Bob Goemans and TFH

tav.png

Whether you're battling a bit of hair algae on your reef or tackling a full-blown bubble algae infestation, an algae-grazing fish may provide the perfect solution.

While difficult to spot when diving, snorkeling, or even watching a coral reef on television, algae of various types are always present and serve as vital components of any natural reef.

Algal overgrowth, such as what we see in our tanks, does not occur on a healthy reef because the nutrient-poor waters of a reef are not conducive to rapid algae growth, and what does grow is quickly harvested by the many reef herbivores.

Link: http://tinyurl.com/8r6ho8r

Albert

Cirrhilabrus spp. Wrasses: The Fairy Wrasses

© Author: Phillip Hunt and TFH

tav1.png

A marine aquarium usually charms and enchants all who see it, but the extravagant coloration of the majestic fairy wrasses can make a tank positively mesmerizing!

Fairy wrasses, among the most beautiful marine fishes, are known for their very vibrant colors and striking patterns.

They also happen to be generally peaceful, with interesting behaviors and bold personalities, which makes them great residents for the fish-only community or reef tank. In order to learn the basics about fairy wrasses (Cirrhilabrus spp.), it’s best to start by understanding their natural habitats and behaviors.

Link : http://tinyurl.com/8wux834

Albert

Small, but Pugnacious Wrasses: The Pseudocheilinus Wrasses

© Author: Bob Fenner and TFH

tav2.png

Wrasses of the genus Pseudocheilinus impress with their gorgeous colors, but they can become real terrors when coupled with the wrong tankmates.

The wrasses of the genus Pseudocheilinus appear to have much going for them. They are commonly available and stay relatively small, plus they’re good-looking, intelligent fishes.

They are shrinking violet terrors, however. While they can be extremely aggressive to tankmates, these labrids are also top contenders for being the poster fish for shyness.

Although quite common in their natural ranges, with the exception of P. ocellatus, divers miss seeing them about as much as anxious reef aquarists who keep them.

But despite their tendency to be little terrors and their propensity for hiding, these fishes can make engaging, albeit fleetingly seen additions to many types of marine systems.

Link to the Article: http://tinyurl.com/9su88oa

Albert

Leopards for the Reef: The Leopard Wrasse

© Author Bob Fenner and TFH

fenn.png

Once considered difficult to keep, wrasses of the genus Macropharyngodon are good candidates for modern reef systems with plenty of hiding places and passive tankmates.

The common name “Leopard Wrasses” might imply that these members of the Macropharyngodon genus are as tough as big cats.

Unfortunately, that is not the case, as the common name mainly refers to the spotted appearance sported by most members of the species.

The wrasses’ stealthy, stalking feline behavior is also reminiscent of their namesake. The 10 or so described species of leopards in the article are small

Link : http://tinyurl.com/98oq477

Albert

Hammer Coral - Euphyllia ancora and Euphylla parancora

© Tom and corallore

poc1.png

poc2.png

The Hammer coral gets its name from the hammer or anchor shape of its tentacles. During the day the tentacles are extended and provide nice movement to the reef which is much like the movement you would normally find only in soft corals.

On top of the nice movement the tentacles fluoresce under actinic lighting adding vibrant color to the reef. Hammer corals come in a variety of colors some of the most common are brown, purple tentacles with green tips, and green tentacles with pink tips.

Also found but a tad more rare are green tentacles with purple tips, orange tentacles, all purple, or a light peach color.

Link : http://www.corallore.com/hammer-coral-216.htm

And a Video of Clowns hosting a Hammer coral :

Albert

Micro-Reefs Announces Pico LED Fixture

© Joost de Vries

picoled.png

Micro-reefs, previously known for their acrylic pico reefs is now venturing into LED fixtures.

These LEDs are specifically designed to fit on Micro-reefs pico systems, but obviously fit with similar aquariums as well.

The total wattage of the LED fixture comes in at 63 watts with 21 3 watt Epistar LEDs. The fixtures come in three different color spectrum, presumably equal to 10k, 14k and 20k flavors.

Link : http://tinyurl.com/99awk7u

Albert

Compact Culture System from AP Breed makes raising Rotifera dead simple

© Jake Adams

rotiz.png

rotizz.png

The Compact Culture System is a practical new way to raise rotifers using commonly available aquarium vessels – buckets.

Made by AP Breed the compact culture system (CCS) consists of curved bucket clips, a partial filter and airlift as well as an optional rotifer food source.

With CCS clips, you can easily suspend the air pump powered partial filter that gently turns over your broth of rotifers.

Link .... : http://tinyurl.com/9sfwkjq

Albert

Albert,

How do you sex gobies? I have a young clown, only one, so does that mean it will always be male?

Actually no, Gobiodon spp fish start life as females, and when paired up, if needed, one changes sex to form a breeding pair.

In the case of two females forming a pair, the larger of the two becomes male, and in the case of two males, the smaller changes sex to become female.

The only time a male is smaller than a female is when a small male is placed in the same coral as a large female.

However they are difficult to sex as there are no distinctive differences when they are past the juvenile stage when you only see 1 at an LFS ...

If you see more than one then the above would tell you what the sex is of two that are kept together.

Hope this helps. If yours is a juvenile it is a female right now ... but if you pair it it may or may not change sex depending on what the sex of the other one is.

Hope this helps

Albert

Deleted User 3

There was this small one (its tiny.. like 1/2 inch) and a black hugeee adult one in the tank, but they didnt not ever go by each other, so Im assuming the baby one was a new arrival just thrown in. So I'm guessing it's female, which is good because it's much easier naming girl fish :) Thanks Albert!

There was this small one (its tiny.. like 1/2 inch) and a black hugeee adult one in the tank, but they didnt not ever go by each other, so Im assuming the baby one was a new arrival just thrown in. So I'm guessing it's female, which is good because it's much easier naming girl fish :) Thanks Albert!

Yes that could be the case and the easiest way to find out would be to ask the LFS how long the two had been together ... and if you got the small one then, yes, IMO it would be a female for now at least until you add another one and then see what happens ...

They are great fish ... but then so are most Gobies. I love them although some of them are so shy that if you have anything a bit large in the tank they will hide most of the time.

I have a Yellow Rose in my tank and I am lucky if I see it every couple of days and when I do it is when I feed, and it will dash out of its little cave like at lightning speed and grab a piece of food and then dash back to his hiding place.

Make sure that your small one eats and does not get outcompeted for food with whatever else you have in the tank is my suggestion to keep it in good shape and healthy and growing

Albert

Clam Mania setting up to satisfy your desire for Tridacna

© Jake Adams

clamt.png

Giant clams are awesome and there’s never been a better time to get into Tridacna.

Clams are available from Cocos to cooks, from Vietnam to Tuamotu as well as many farm raised specimens.

Every fish store and e-trailer has a few clams but not since Clams Direct has there been one go-to source for quality clams.

Link : http://tinyurl.com/95vakax

Albert

Sicce Minu LED fixture for High End Nano Tanks gets unboxing Treatment

© Joost de Vries

sicce.png

The Sicce Minu is the smallest LED fixture in Sicce LED line. At 5.5 by 5 .5 inches and 20 watts, the Sicce Minu LED fixture is definitely meant for nano aquariums, but with it’s MSRP at $249 the Minu is the most affordable high end fixture on the market

Read more at : ...... http://tinyurl.com/8vctqjo

Albert

Hyper Red flame Angelfish makes its way to South Africa

© Jake Adams

flameRedHyper.png

Pygmy Angelfish variants are cool but few can compare to aberrant Flame Angelfish when the colors of Centropyge loricula get put on overdrive.

The deep dark black tiger stripes have been replaced with deep red ones on a yellow-orange body and even the dorsal and anal fins are pure red save for a thin strip of blue edging.

The enthusiastic fish keepers at SA ReefKeeping in South Africa received this Hawaiian flame angelfish by way of Tropical Marine Centre in the UK, and we don’t know how much of a premium they paid for it but looking at the naturally oversaturated colors of this hyper-red individual it probably wasn’t enough.

Link to more info and Video : http://reefbuilders.com/2012/10/03/flame-angelfish/

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

Reef Angel releases water level switch with Variable Sensitivity: very Innovative

© Joost de Vries

reefangel.png

Reef Angel users rejoice, Reef Angel has just recently released a water level expansion kit for their Reef Angel controller.

The Reef Angel water level expansion kit relies on water pressure, which simply put means you can say goodbye to your mechanical float switches.

The pressure sensor plugs straight into your existing Reef Angel head unit, and unless you decide to get several does not require any expansion units

Link to more info : http://tinyurl.com/8d9w3vl

Albert

Eshopps Square Frag Discs coming later this Year - Better Design

© Brian Blank

eshopps.png

Eshopps square frag discs will be released sometime later this year allowing you a relatively simple way to grow and frag your spreading corals in your system.

The square plugs are textured and colored to blend into your system.

Plus the textured surface allows for better adhering of glue for fresh frags and give your spreading coral something to grab onto.

More info here: http://tinyurl.com/9xxhsq5

Albert

If you are looking for a name ... and you want names of Princesses, look here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_princesses

Albert

Hi Albert,

On my way home from my lady friends today I picked up this from a fellow reefer who used it in his Seahorse breeding tank with great results. However he had given up keeping seahorses so I got it for approx half the retail price. I know you will know what it is Albert but not sure many others on here would know. Now no cheating anybody who wants a stab at what it is. :o

OxydatorA001.jpg

OxydatorA002.jpg