Pod Your Reef

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Wyoming White Clownfish coming soon from Sustainable Aquatics

© Jake Adams

clownwhite.png

Platinum perculas have been around and widespread for a long time but we can’t say the same for the angelic looking Wyoming White ocellaris clownfish.

Originally produced and developed by C-Quest in Puerto Rico, the numbers of Wyoming White clownfish has remained quite low in the marine aquarium hobby.

Some aquaculture outfits have been dabbling in Wyoming White ocellaris production but after years of effort Sustainable Aquatics has been able to produce a Wyoming White stable of their own.

More Pictures and text at : http://tinyurl.com/9bnv8q9

Albert

Plasmalyte partners with ReefBrite for blue-LED supplements for Plasma Lighting

© Jake Adams

plasma1.png

plasma2.png

PlasmaLyte is a line of plasma lighting from Stray Light Optical, the company which first introduced plasma lighting to reefers with their SeaShine fixture.

It’s been a little while since we’ve heard news of Plasma in the aquarium but the newly improved Plasmalytes feature much improved components which feel more assembled than cast iron, and are now available with supplemental blue LEDs from ReefBrite.

All along we thought that the Plasma solution from Luxim was a nice bright white color rendition but that it needed some high powered blue LEDs around the rim to give it that splash pf blue which is more to the taste of marine aquarists these days, and the dual blue colored ReefBrite LED striplights are a perfect partner.

More info and Pictures at : http://tinyurl.com/97prhxw

Albert

A few Interesting Pictures of Marine Life Forms

Very Small marine Worm

wormmarine.png

Head View of a Marine Worm

wormmarine2.png

Spaghetti Worm

wormspaghettti.png

Peanut Worm

peanutworm.png

Marine Worm Magnified

marinewormmagnified.png

Clown Frogfish

frogfishclown.png

Saddle Butterfly

butterflysaddle.png

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

A very rare pic of a little rhino having a yawn on The Great Barrier Reef

© Photo: Daniel Stassen

This sure is a "rare" one of a Rhinopius spp. fish

rhinoyawn.png

Albert

Hi Albert,

I find myself frantically trying to catch up on your thread every Monday, 3 days away and many pages have been created omgomgomg

I wanted to mention a couple of things:

Your Montipora setosa looks like it has bleached areas throughout and has no PE, not sure if this is the result of the photograph or something else. These corals are known for their bright orange coloration but ridiculously slow growth. Just an observation :)

The YouTube video you posted by ReefDVM's regarding wet skim water changes is a great example of just one of their informative videos. They are active members, and Dr's of Veterinary Medicine in the Minnesota area, on another marine forum site in which I moderate. I recommend to all that it is worth having a look at their Youtube channel for some more videos they have produced. Interestingly, they have just acquired a fairly expensive digital microscope system in which they plan to use for marine identification purposes, video's upcoming. Here's the video link to their new microscope:

I look forward to their findings in the future.

I read somewhere that aluminum oxide is not a preferred media for marine systems, I shall continue looking for this article and post if I find, and any thoughts on this in the mean time?

UPDATE: here is the article: Chemistry And The Aquarium: Aluminum In The Reef Aquarium

By Randy Holmes-Farley

Your tank is filling up fast and looks great!

Christine

Edited by NanoTopia
Hi Albert,

I find myself frantically trying to catch up on your thread every Monday, 3 days away and many pages have been created omgomgomg

I wanted to mention a couple of things:

Your Montipora setosa looks like it has bleached areas throughout and has no PE, not sure if this is the result of the photograph or something else. These corals are known for their bright orange coloration but ridiculously slow growth. Just an observation :)

The YouTube video you posted by ReefDVM's regarding wet skim water changes is a great example of just one of their informative videos. They are active members, and Dr's of Veterinary Medicine in the Minnesota area, on another marine forum site in which I moderate. I recommend to all that it is worth having a look at their Youtube channel for some more videos they have produced. Interestingly, they have just acquired a fairly expensive digital microscope system in which they plan to use for marine identification purposes, video's upcoming. Here's the video link to their new microscope:

I read somewhere that aluminum oxide is not a preferred media for marine systems, I shall continue looking for this article and post if I find, and any thoughts on this in the mean time?

UPDATE: here is the article: Chemistry And The Aquarium: Aluminum In The Reef Aquarium

By Randy Holmes-Farley

Christine

Christine :

Thanks for the observation on the M. setosa and you are right. I do not see any PE and wonder if it is due to the light I have as it is not the Calcium etc. levels ... I have not had it for a long time and it has shown a tiny bit of growth but as you say no PE ... It is under 6500 K lighting and that may not be the right one for it. I'll have to look into what else I can find out and do for it. If I am not going to use LED's what lighting intensity would you recommend under 200 watt equivalent of 6500K CFT bulbs ... strong, moderate, or low ? Based on that I may have to reposition it. Right now it is a mid-level ...

One problem I noticed that may affect it is that my Bi-color Blenny picks at it, not all the time but several times a day ...

On the thread, yes I agree many pages get added and I guess keeping up with it unless done every day can take a long time. Hopefully you can scroll through and focus only on the articles that are of real interest to you.

I will take another look at the Videos you refer to and probably post links to a few more as per your endorsement of what they do and research. Thanks for the heads up. Which forum is it that you moderate if I may ask?

On the Aluminum oxide ... I have posted that article some time ago, but thanks for inserting the link again for those who have not read it ... Mind you, there is a similar article on GFO, that states about the same thing: Fe gets leached into the water just as Aluminum is leached by the other one.

I have never had any issues with Al oxide and I have 2 Leather corals in my tank, and they usually react to it pretty quickly as per that article, and mine do not when I use the Al oxide compound (mind you right now I am using GFO and have done so for a few weeks now.

Here is link to the article by Randy Holmes-Farley on GFO :

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=4049873

So it is kind of difficult to decide which one is best since both leach either aluminum or iron in the tank especially when used in reactors.

Thanks for the post, and I look forward to your response. Thanks for the kind words on the Tank.

Thanks

Albert

Hi Albert,

Christine

Great Video on the Scope they got and all the other goodies to go with it ...

A tad above my budget though :-) Thanks for the link though and I'll look for some other interesting ReefDVM Video to post here on the thread ...

Albert

How to Exterminate Majanos ... Video by ReefDVM's

© ReefDVM's

Not everyone keeps tanks with Majanos or Mantis Shrimp and if you have any and want to get rid of them, below is a link to a Video by ReefDVM's

Link : http://www.yourepeat.com/watch/?v=nFFpBRVO...e=youtube_gdata

Albert

AND ... ...

How to raise your Calcium Levels Using Kalkwasser

© Video by ReefDVM's

Ecellent and detailed Video

Link : http://www.yourepeat.com/watch/?v=LV1yENM0...e=youtube_gdata

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

How would you like This One ?

this1.png

And one of these, but not in the same Tank ...

this2.png

Both are super looking but cannot be kept together unless you have a huge tank where the Angel has plenty of space and does not go for the Coral. And even in large tanks it may not be a good idea to keep them together, although I have seen tanks where it is done.

Albert

Radion Pro’s Eight Color LED cluster brings out Incredible Coral Color Rendition

© Jake Adams

radionpro.png

This weekend we got our first look at the Radion XR30w Pro LED from Ecotech Marine and we walked away quite impressed.

To some of us, ourselves included, the idea of having a multitude of LED colors in an aquarium light seems like the ultimate aquarium lighting solution on paper, but probably pretty hard to get right as far as color mixing and even-ness of spread is concerned

View more pictures and read more : http://tinyurl.com/8pvt48c

Albert

Milwaukee Instruments MA887 Seawater Refractomer is useful, accurate

and affordable

© Brian Blank and reefbuilders

sali.png

A handy refractometer is an essential piece of equipment for any hobbyist and if you are looking for a great tool to take the guesswork out of measuring you salinity, you have to take a look at the Milwaukee Instruments MA887 Seawater Refractomer.

This imposing looking piece of equipment is extremely accurate, simple to use and most of all — affordable.

Read more here : http://tinyurl.com/95966yh

Albert

After all the Shenanigans that the Paly put me through yesterday and of which I posted a number of pictures on previous pages yesterday ... here is what it looks like today around 14:15.

Wonder what it went through as nothing seems to have happened that I can see.

palyyy.png

Just another one of those hard to figure out things that happens in our aquariums !

Albert

Chemistry And The Aquarium: How To Select A Calcium

And Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme

© By Randy Holmes-Farley

This article will provide the information necessary for aquarists to choose an appropriate scheme for their specific needs. Such deciding factors as cost, complexity, impurities, and a variety of others things come into play in making a decision.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/2/chemistry

Albert

Aquarium Invertebrates: Heliofungia: Husbandry Considerations

And Taxonomical Relationships

© By Julian Sprung

heliofungia.png

Keeping Heliofungia in a reef aquarium is not difficult.

The free-living stony coral Heliofungia actiniformis is one of the largest solitary polyp corals, and it has been popular with reef keeping aquarists since the early days of the reef aquarium hobby.

The appearance of the living animal is very deceptive to the first time observer. Most who see it at first think it is a sea anemone, and this is the reason for its specific name.

The polyp of Heliofungia has the ability to swell dramatically with water, a feature that enables it literally to walk across the substrate, or turn itself back over if it is overturned.

This feature also enables the coral to escape from being buried by sediment that may settle on it during stormy weather conditions, and it allows the coral to live and remain on top of soft bottom habitats where other corals would simply sink into the mud and suffocate (Hoeksema,1988).

Article and more pictures : http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/4/inverts

Albert

Milwaukee Instruments MA887 Seawater Refractomer is useful, accurate

and affordable

© Brian Blank and reefbuilders

sali.png

Read more here : http://tinyurl.com/95966yh

Albert

I have ordered this Digital Reflectometer last week, I will post a small review after I get a chance to use it Albert, I'm excited to give it a try.

Christine

I have ordered this Digital Reflectometer last week, I will post a small review after I get a chance to use it Albert, I'm excited to give it a try.

Christine

Great ... thanks Christine ... and I look forward to your review ... based on what I have read it is quite accurate and can measure in 3 different modes.

Thanks

Albert

BTW ... I joined .. well you know what ... :-)

Christine

I have one of these. You are going to love it! It calibrates in a matter of seconds using plain RO/DI water and it takes seconds to test your water. Maybe 30 seconds total to test your salinity. It's extremely accurate.

I made a quick video a while back showing how fast it really is.

The Flame Hawkfish .... Species Profile – Neocirrhites armatus

The Scarlet/Flame Hawkfish

© marinehabitatmagazine

flame1.png

flame3.png

Growing to a maximum of just 9cm (3.5ins), this hawkfish species makes a great addition for even small tanks, but note that an overall minimum display size of 180 litres (40 imperial gallons) should be offered.

In the confines of a smaller tank, the likelihood of disputes arising with smaller, more peaceful fishes increases.

It is worth noting that this species has been observed to extract snails and small hermit crabs from their shells (and then eat them), and even to attack and dismember ornamental shrimps in captivity. Not all specimens commit this thuggery though; indeed, keeping a specimen well fed may be a way to limit this behaviour.

Note : although some have tried to keep them in reef tanks, note the above remarks about snails, crabs and ornamental shrimp.

Link : http://www.marinehabitatmagazine.com/archives/5273

Albert

I have one of these. You are going to love it! It calibrates in a matter of seconds using plain RO/DI water and it takes seconds to test your water. Maybe 30 seconds total to test your salinity. It's extremely accurate.

islandoftiki : Yes reading up on it, and reading some reviews, I agree with you that it seems to be a real good one, albeit maybe a little large but that is not really a problem. We have tons of "stuff" that is large anyway. Plus it is made by a company with a real good reputation in the marketplace.

Glad you visited and posted. Thanks.

BTW how are the Majanos doing ? How many "different" ones are you up to now ... last i saw you had a few and were looking for some more with different colors ...

Maybe you can post a pic of your tank that shows all the Majanos ... Thanks.

Albert

Species Profile – The Manderinfish - - Synchiropus splendidus

© marinehabitatmagazine

mandarinz.png

Mandarins require special care in captivity if they are to survive beyond the short term. Specifically, their feeding requirements must be met.

This starts with selecting an individual that is likely to survive shipping and introduction to the home system. Look for fish that are active, alert and inquisitive, and which don’t appear to be emaciated.

Most importantly, try to obtain a specimen that is observed to be feeding on frozen foods (enriched mysis ideally).

Due to the passive feeding habits of this species, it is best to house them only with other species of a similar temperament; seahorses and pipefishes make suitable tank mates

Link : http://www.marinehabitatmagazine.com/archives/6850

Albert

Renaissance Aquatics Pictures of New Corals They Received (I)

© Renaissance Aquatics (note that I am not associated with them)

Pictures are posted for your viewing and enjoyment, and I became aware of them via FB

raa1.png

raa2.png

raa3.png

raa4.png

raa5.png

Link : http://www.facebook.com/renaissancelax

Albert

Renaissance Aquatics Pictures of New Corals They Received (II)

© Renaissance Aquatics (note that I am not associated with them)

Pictures are posted for your viewing and enjoyment, I became aware of them via FB

raa6.png

raa7.png

raa8.png

raa9.png

Link : http://www.facebook.com/renaissancelax

Albert

Nice little Vid that shows how it works and it gives a fast reading from what I see. Calibration seems very easy as well (distilled water I think).

Nice and the price is right too for a device that gives that level of accuracy and functions

Albert

Cryptocentrus cinctus, Yellow Watchman Goby

© marinehabitatmagazine

gobywatch2.png

This species is generally hardy in captivity, and, especially if kept with an Alpheid shrimp partner (such as Alpheus bellulus), provides a fascinating subject for even a small tank of around 15 UK gallons.

As a bottom-dwelling species, it may sift through fine sand substrate for food, but it usually adapts quickly to frozen meaty foods and even pellets (much more so than some of the other Sand Sifting Gobies, many of which are far less hardy).

Although generally peaceful, take note that this species may fight with other bottomdwelling species, particularly if kept in a confined space

Link : http://www.marinehabitatmagazine.com/archives/7081

Albert