Coral Vue Hydros

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Ramblings from an Old Reefer by Paul B.

© Paul Baldassano

If you are involved in any hobby, past time, or job long enough, you can easily become bored.

In time, reefing, even with all of it’s controversial wisdom concerning substrates, lighting, additives, foods, and water treatments can also become boring which is in my opinion the main reason why so many people leave the hobby after a few short years.

This is a shame because some of the animals we keep can out live even us if properly cared for.

Avery interesting article on reef tanks by Paul who goes a number of topics in this article, including algae and more.

Link :

http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/reefs-m...old-reefer.html

Albert

Paul Baldassano’s Reef - 40 Years in the Making

© Paul Baldassano

pba1.png

pbald.png

I have been asked a few times to write an article about my experiences in this hobby, and I am always at a loss as to where to start.

Not because my tank is better or healthier than any one else’s tank, but because it is so different.

Some will say odd, others will say my practices are weird.

[Editor’s note: and many of us have found inspiration and admiration for Paul and his long-lived reef and fish!]

Link : http://tinyurl.com/97k4es3

Albert

That EchoTech picture is adorable! BTW....I like your new avatar picture!

Yes I thought so too that is why I posted it ... never seen such a funny one actually ...

Thanks for the kind words on the new avatar ... I like it too.

I hesitated between that one and this one

flame4.png

which I thought is a cute one too ... thanks for stopping by

Albert

Hi Albert,

Not long home from work and its blate here in the UK 11.05pm. I did manage to get a few things done on the new tank today and here's a few pic's.

Made my skimmer platform to raise my BM Curve 5 skimmer so it will now sit in 9" of water in the sump. Also fitted my filter sock and holder after some adaption of the holder to get it to fit under the sump input from the tank.

First the DIY platform.

Sumppics004.jpg

Sumppics003.jpg

With the skimmer sitting on the platform in the sump, no water in it as yet however.

Sumppics001.jpg

Pic of the filter sock and holder sitting in the sump.

Sumppics002.jpg

Les

Red Sea Coral Pro Salt and Potassium Content

I wanted to find out what the Potassium (K) content was of the Red Sea Coral Pro Salt, which I use, and emailed them about it.

Below is the link I received in response to my email with shows the concentration for [K] and other components.

Quote:

This PDF contains the information you need.

http://www.redseafish.com/uploadimages/Pro...50%20_A2012.pdf

Note : The Potassium concentration depends on the salinity and the table would specify it.

Unquote

Albert

Just me or does the pdf attached not indicate the K level of Red Sea Salt?

Have you found out what the levels are Albert?

Christine

Just me or does the pdf attached not indicate the K level of Red Sea Salt?

Have you found out what the levels are Albert?

Christine

It is on the PDF ...

Here are some pics of what is on the page that lists them

5555.png6666.png

Albert

Paul Baldassano’s Reef - 40 Years in the Making

© Paul Baldassano

pba1.png

pbald.png

Link : http://tinyurl.com/97k4es3

Albert

The Majano Wand ... Easy to use to get rid of them

wand.png

Link : http://majanowand.com

Albert

As you likely know Albert, Paul Baldassano invented the Majano Wand and holds a patent for it but similar products have surfaced in the past years like the Aiptasia Wand and others. Paul indicated a while back that this patent cost him quite a bit to secure, I hope he has made his money back and more over the years. He is also invented some pretty cool feeding stations that submerge with live brine so finicky eaters can feast all day. He is quite an inventor and roll model for reefers today IMO. :)

Christine

Edited by NanoTopia
Hi Albert,

Not long home from work and its blate here in the UK 11.05pm. I did manage to get a few things done on the new tank today and here's a few pic's.

Made my skimmer platform to raise my BM Curve 5 skimmer so it will now sit in 9" of water in the sump. Also fitted my filter sock and holder after some adaption of the holder to get it to fit under the sump input from the tank.

First the DIY platform.

With the skimmer sitting on the platform in the sump, no water in it as yet however.

Pic of the filter sock and holder sitting in the sump.

Les

Very nicely done Les ... I like how you put it together to raise the skimmer in the sump.

Clean and neat ... remember though that that eggcrate will become slimy and will need to be cleaned just like everything else .. :-) as I am sure you realize ...

You are making progress ! Another day or so and I guess you'll be moving everything over

Albert

As you likely know Albert, Paul Baldassano invented the Majano Wand and holds a patent for it but similar products have surfaced in the past years like the Aiptasia Wand and others. Paul indicated a while back that this patent cost him quite a bit to secure, I hope he has made his money back and more over the years. He is also invented some pretty cool feeding stations that submerge with live brine so finicky eaters can feast all day. He is quite an inventor and roll model for reefers today IMO. :)

Christine

Christine ... oh yes I know that ... Paul and I go back a long long way ... I have know him for what seems like ages ...

And yes he did get a patent and hopefully he did indeed make his money back ... on that and on the other inventions.

He has been in this hobby for longer than some can even imagine as you well know ... (I posted a link to his tank and how long he has had it today in fact).

Thanks for pointing it out though as some readers may not have been aware of the facts that you stated. i appreciate your clarification

Albert

It is on the PDF ...

Here are some pics of what is on the page that lists them

5555.png6666.png

Albert

Guess I didn't look very hard. :happy:

I really don't believe the claims salt manufactures put on their products. I use DD H2Ocean Pro, they make the same claims of 380-420 ppm but I have tested it repeatedly and get 320-340ppm. I find these salt companies and their claims of elemental levels quite misleading. I test my water to know for sure.

FWIW, I dose K weekly and test levels every two weeks using Elos Potassium test kit.

Christine

Guess I didn't look very hard. :happy:

I really don't believe the claims salt manufactures put on their products. I use DD H2Ocean Pro, they make the same claims of 380-420 ppm but I have tested it repeatedly and get 320-340ppm. I find these salt companies and their claims of elemental levels quite misleading. I test my water to know for sure.

FWIW, I dose K weekly and test levels every two weeks using Elos Potassium test kit.

Christine

NP, happens to all of us .. I sometimes read messages, or posts, too fast too and miss something ... hey, when there is a lot to read sometimes we just scan and don't really see everything that is there.

And on your statement about salts : I do wonder sometimes myself how they come up with those claims, they probably figure that hobbyists will not verify their claims, and that they can get away with it, so good for you that you double check ...

It is unfortunate but in the hobby there are way too many questionable claims indeed. Just think of all the products that say that they are reef safe when a lot of them just are not reef safe at all.

Albert

Paul's Tank is 40 Years Old - Yes 40 Years Indeed - Anniversary Posts

© Paul Baldassano

paulll.png

In a couple of weeks my reef will will have reached 40 years old. Unfortunately I don't remember when I was 40 but I remember when I set it up. I was a skinny 22 year old just back from Viet Nam.

It is still running very well, still using the same reverse UG filter, same dolomite substrait but none of the fish are original. The oldest one, a fireclown is just over 16, all of the older fish died in an accident that was due to my carelessness. The tank is mostly LPS, gorgonians, giant mushrooms and a few leathers.

There are only three SPS corals, two of which have been with me for a few years and are growing nicely.

I am not sure is any of the original NSW from the Long Island Sound is still in there or any of the original amphipods but maybe much later generations.

I still can't take a decent picture and the tank is not as blue as these pictures but it is what it is.

Link : http://tinyurl.com/d3pxybx

Albert

Wow it is looking really good after that short a period of time ... I guess it is in the existing tank and not yet in the new one correct .

Looks "purdy" as they say here. Very pretty color too and I see the bubble tip starting to come out as well. Good luck with it ... but then you know how to deal with them and how to get them to grow and look good.

Nice acquisition !

Albert

@atoll - .... How's the Bubble Tip doing today .... we LOVE pictures ... :-)

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
It is unfortunate but in the hobby there are way too many questionable claims indeed. Just think of all the products that say that they are reef safe when a lot of them just are not reef safe at all.

Albert

Speaking of which, did you post an article here from reefkeeping magazine a gew months ago about the affects of certain meds on corals?

Speaking of which, did you post an article here from reefkeeping magazine a gew months ago about the affects of certain meds on corals?

I will do a search for it in the morning and let you know ... not sure but I may have as I have posted so many links to articles that I probably did.

Thanks for asking.

Albert

Edit : here is one of them

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/sp/feature/index.php

And here is the other one :

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-12/sp/index.php

All I did to find them is use the search box and type in medications and then scroll through the page that came up to find the posts that dealt with medications and the Part II one came up. I then went to that one and clicked on the internal link to get the URL for the Part I

Edited by albertthiel

Plerogyra sinuosa, Large Polyp Bubble Coral

© John Clipperton and Marine Habitat

bubbleee.png

Replicating low to medium flow in the environs of this coral in captivity is critical; indeed, flow that is too strong or direct can interfere with polyp expansion and even cause tissue recession.

Damage of the delicate polyps is probably the biggest problem with this species, and the shipping process often causes tears that then lead to infection, and ultimately death.

The blade-like septa that form the coral’s skeleton (obvious when the coral is retracted) can easily slice into the tissue, or even break off completely

Link to the full article : http://www.marinehabitatmagazine.com/archives/4986

Albert

Hey Albert I am having more problems...what is with these darn fish??? The question is kinda extremely long so I will just post a link rather than filling up an entire page of you thread haha. Would love to hear your opinion on the matter either on this thread or the one in the link.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=313496

Btw last time u recommended I set up a QT...

Idk if u still recommend this but FYI when I went to set it up the heater and filter were broken...so...I need to get new ones. It could be a few days...

And on your statement about salts : I do wonder sometimes myself how they come up with those claims, they probably figure that hobbyists will not verify their claims, and that they can get away with it, so good for you that you double check ...

Albert

On that very question Albert,

I am not sure but a very well known brand of salt still for sale today used to (maybe still does) put on each bag or box of salts all the trace elements added to their salt with 70 claimed in total. Some of the elements listed include arsenic, cyanide, mercury and all manner of things I wouldn't want in my salt in any quantity or at all. IMO the makers of this salt are misleading buyers and few will read through them all on the bag.

I don't believe for one moment that the makers are intentionally putting in some of these trace elements witch are shown as a very small amount indeed typically around 0.0001% and the like. They will be there simply because to try and remove them would be if not near impossible then very costly to remove such minuscule amounts. I believe these elements are there as a byproduct of other elements added such as calcium and magnesium.

The manufacturers are not being dishonest by claiming the number of elements they are adding but I do feel they are misleading. You may well know the salt brand in question Albert as they have been a premium alt for decades. Of course perhaps I am wrong about the above but I remain very sceptical about the need or benefit of a number of the trace elements in their salt most of which will be in other manufacturers salts as well they just don't brag about them. If you can't guess which salt it is I will PM you the name of it.

Les.

Apogon leptacanthus (Threadfin Cardinal, Longspine Cardinal)

© Massi P : .... Video of several in a Nano-Reef

apogon.png

Video at :

Albert

Hi Albert I think I have written about a shoal of 10 I had of these lovely fish before. Individually they don't look that much but in a shoal they are beautiful indeed as the swim and turn together as the light flashes off their body's. I have a couple of vid's of them links below.

A pair getting ready to spawn.

Hi Albert I think I have written about a shoal of 10 I had of these lovely fish before. Individually they don't look that much but in a shoal they are beautiful indeed as the swim and turn together as the light flashes off their body's. I have a couple of vid's of them links below.

A pair getting ready to spawn.

Very nice indeed Les, I like that video #2 especially, but the 1st one was great to watch as well. Thanks for posting the links.

Yes you are right, by themselves they do not look like much but if you put a bunch of them together they are quite something as they all seem to stay together and then really make an impact on you.

apogonn.png

I saw maybe 30 or 40 of them, in one of the large frag tanks at my local LFS, and they were all swimming right by a Long Spine Black Urchin (Diadema spp., probably setosum or antillarum), unfortunately due to shallowness of that frag tank, the very high water circulation, and the intense lighting over it I could not get a picture of them. Pity really as it was a "sight" to watch and a ver nice one !

Love them ...

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
On that very question Albert,

I am not sure but a very well known brand of salt still for sale today used to (maybe still does) put on each bag or box of salts all the trace elements added to their salt with 70 claimed in total. Some of the elements listed include arsenic, cyanide, mercury and all manner of things I wouldn't want in my salt in any quantity or at all. IMO the makers of this salt are misleading buyers and few will read through them all on the bag.

I don't believe for one moment that the makers are intentionally putting in some of these trace elements witch are shown as a very small amount indeed typically around 0.0001% and the like. They will be there simply because to try and remove them would be if not near impossible then very costly to remove such minuscule amounts. I believe these elements are there as a byproduct of other elements added such as calcium and magnesium.

The manufacturers are not being dishonest by claiming the number of elements they are adding but I do feel they are misleading. You may well know the salt brand in question Albert as they have been a premium alt for decades. Of course perhaps I am wrong about the above but I remain very sceptical about the need or benefit of a number of the trace elements in their salt most of which will be in other manufacturers salts as well they just don't brag about them. If you can't guess which salt it is I will PM you the name of it.

Les.

Yes I do know what salt you are referring to and I also think that it is the one that most LFS actually use because it is inexpensive when bought in bulk as they do.

Of course you are right, the Ocean contains minuscule amounts of just about every known chemical element, and when I say minuscule, I mean concentrations like Pb (Lead) of 0.00003 ppm or Ta (Tantalum) of < 0.0000025 ppm, etc.

And as you say it does not make much sense listing all of those, especially the ones that we all know to be very toxic, such as Arsenic (As level given by Stephen Spotte of 0.0003 mg/l-1), but at one point they did indeed list all of them - not sure if they still do as I have not used that salt since probably the late 80's, and have not looked carefully at one of their bags and what is listed on it.

Not sure if they are trying to mislead the public when they were doing so though. Guess Frakes (et al), at that time, just wanted to be complete in the listing of the composition of their salt, but since most if not the majority of hobbyists did not really look at the listings, I kind of wonder now why they decided to do so.

Anyway, you are correct they are byproduct of other compounds that are in the salt, and removing them would be a very costly undertaking indeed, plus since the concentrations of some of them are so low, I don't really think they had any impact on the life forms in our tanks. But who knows right, since no one to my knowledge every did any studies on that (Randy Holmes-Farley did a study at one time and I posted a link to that article some time ago) but from what I remember he did not make any statements that indicated that their presence in salts was causing any deleterious effects on fish and corals and invertebrates.

Of course, nowadays even the best of salts (if there actually is a "best" one) only mention the major elements that hobbyists are interested in (Ca, K, Mg, and maybe a few others like Mb, Fe, Sr) but a lot of them do not even list all of those.

So what salt to use remains a hobbyist's choice I guess, and I have in the past recommended, and still do, that it is not a bad idea to switch salts from time to time, to introduce elements that may not be contained, or not in sufficient quantities in one but that are contained in the other one.

The one element that seems to be of real needed correct concentration especially for those who keep a lot of SPS corals (K) is often not even listed, and when it is, as NanoTopia pointed out, the concentration on the package or bucket may not even be correct (close but not the correct ppm that is listed). Case in point the one she mentioned.

Salt is a difficult topic and I am sure that every hobbyist has their own opinion about it, and two who use the same salt probably have different opinions about that salt ... but that is not new in the hobby, as opinions on supplements, compounds, salts, reactors, skimmers, and any contraption we use vary by user, based on the experiences they have or have had with them.

I guess that because of all of those varying opinions the conversations about some of those keep going and going and never seem to come to a "definitive" or "authoritative" conclusion.

Then there is the fact that respected Authors do not always want to talk down certain products for fear of getting sued ... which as you know is rampant in this country. In the US it seems that people sue a lot more than in Europe.

In fact I remember a joke that goes like this :

What do Americans call their first born daughter?

Answer: Sue ....

Anyway, the composition of Salts and other products (especially additives) are a topic that can bring about threads that never seem to end, and where no one necessarily agrees with what others post, and where no final definitive conclusion ever seems to be arrived at ...

But enough said .. I get the point of what you mean and hopefully this post will generate some reaction from others (unfortunately there is not enough of that going on here on this thread). Lots of views ... we are over nearly 65000 since June, but the number of post that are reactions to the ones I make, or that you have made are really at a minimum and that is unfortunate but I guess "that is what it is" and unless others change their habits after they read posts here, that will not change.

Thanks for the input and hopefully my response will generate some reactions ...

Albert

EDIT ... The Randy Holmes-Farley article is was referring to is ... ...

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/rhf/index.php

and the section is the one on Accumulating Metals, but the article contains other interesting information about water chemistry

Edited by albertthiel
Hey Albert I am having more problems...what is with these darn fish??? The question is kinda extremely long so I will just post a link rather than filling up an entire page of you thread haha. Would love to hear your opinion on the matter either on this thread or the one in the link.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=313496

Btw last time u recommended I set up a QT...

Idk if u still recommend this but FYI when I went to set it up the heater and filter were broken...so...I need to get new ones. It could be a few days...

Kfmmartin1996

I looked at your long post on your thread about the issues you are having and I need to think about this for a while, as the issue you are having does not seem to be that simple and giving you an answer is going to take me reading that post several times and try to understand what is actually going on.

When I respond here, I'll add a copy of what you posted so readers on this thread know what the issues are as well.

So more later.

Albert