SaltCritters.com

Plate Coral Lovin'

Psychosis

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plates are the easiest coral to feed on the planet. If you get food on any part of the coral, it will all wind up in it's mouth. No guess work, just Turkey Baste and forget. I'm not sure how large Rod's food is, but if it's meaty and of reasonable size the plate will accept it. Hell, mine grab New Life Spectrum pellets all the time.

subsailor07

So I was at my LFS about a week ago. I saw that he had a plate coral frag, no bigger than 3 inches. Its a orange short tentacle. I was wondering if anyone has successfully kept a frag. I only paid $9.99 for it.

nathanq.inc

c18079fd.jpg

Gallivanting about the sand bed causing me to rearrange everything, but now it's up at the glass and I can get close ups!

doppelganger

Yay for plates! I just picked up my first plate as well. Absolutely love it. This one had such unique colors so I and it was only 30 bucks so I couldn't pass it up.

Here's a shot. It's orange with white stripes running along it.

7462487954_3f653ccb09.jpg

Here's a close up of the green tentacles with purple/blue tips

7462487826_9bd3790b74.jpg

don't have any actinic shots yet so maybe I'll do that tonight

• 1 month later...
jedimasterben

My LFS had a ginormous (at least 8" across for the skeleton alone) long tentacle plate coral. I almost bought it, but I figured $50 was a lot to spend on something that will almost 100% guaranteed died in the next month. :(

I completely rescaped my tank recently, I now have tons of room on the sandbed for clams and plates, just gotta start getting them. :)

I'm convinced a LTP would do great in a NPS tank with really moderate lighting. All the research I've done points to this being an ideal setup.

I may actually enter this months photo contest

jedimasterben
I'm convinced a LTP would do great in a NPS tank with really moderate lighting. All the research I've done points to this being an ideal setup.

I may actually enter this months photo contest

Everything I see says "dirty water" for them. I think that with my feeding regimen now that I could possibly support one now. I know a ton more about them, but I'm still hesitant about it. I'd hate to lose another one.

Also, I only see that they need moderate-high light, usually on the higher end. Don't know how well they'd do long-term, even with heavy feedings.

Are bright orange considered rare? my lfs had medium sized random colors for about 40 bucks, but the bright orange one about as round as a half dollar was 75 bucks!

jedimasterben
Are bright orange considered rare? my lfs had medium sized random colors for about 40 bucks, but the bright orange one about as round as a half dollar was 75 bucks!

Not rare, just expensive.

Archived