Top Shelf Aquatics

Plate Coral Lovin'

Psychosis

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
Thanks tinctorus! If you stumble upon it, I'd love to see it! I'll keep an eye on cherry corals to see if any other neat ones pop up.

NO PROBLEM!

I LOVE the DIaseries plate corals, the fact that you can frag them or they will frag themselves is awesome to me, Because of the fact that you typically cant frag plate corals it just seems wonderful to me, This way if you start to have a problem with 1 part of the plate because something damages it you can frag it up and hopefully have a better chance of saving it

It also gives you the ability to make frags to sell to locals which is not something that you typically see offered for sale you know?

Also from just about everything that I have read on Diaseries plates they seem to be one of the easier/hardier species of plates to keep "unlike fungia's that typically just die"

There is also a "cyclosereis" plate "I think that is the name" that seems to be fairly new in the hobby that is also apparently another fairly easy to keep species of plate coral

Mine loves to eat! He hasn't moved other then extending for food however he is in the spot where my clam will eventually go. I wonder what his reaction will be when he is no longer directly under my lamp.

post-45321-1350726696_thumb.jpg

Mine loves to eat! He hasn't moved other then extending for food however he is in the spot where my clam will eventually go. I wonder what his reaction will be when he is no longer directly under my lamp.

post-45321-1350726696_thumb.jpg

Real nice indeed !

No I sold all of them but the one you quoted. I had it for 2+ years and I dropped a chunk of live rock on it moving some stuff in the tank. It was dead within hours.

jedimasterben
No I sold all of them but the one you quoted. I had it for 2+ years and I dropped a chunk of live rock on it moving some stuff in the tank. It was dead within hours.

holy ####. Two years? You're a god amongst mere mortals. :bowdown:

There aren't many words.

How long have you had it?

Probably 6-8 months. Sadly I think I'm about to lose it. I came back from vacation and it had a huge tear.. up until then it has been a very healthy and incredible coral..

holy ####. Two years? You're a god amongst mere mortals. :bowdown:

I have had some plates and LPS for 2-3 years. Give me some SPS I will kill it in 7 days or less. Nice Deep Blue shallow. I have the 24x24x12.

jedimasterben
I have had some plates and LPS for 2-3 years. Give me some SPS I will kill it in 7 days or less. Nice Deep Blue shallow. I have the 24x24x12.

Well, that's pretty common, but keeping heliofungia alive is not - you're the only person that I know of that has ever claimed to have kept one longer than twelve months.

Well, that's pretty common, but keeping heliofungia alive is not - you're the only person that I know of that has ever claimed to have kept one longer than twelve months.

IME if you can keep it from tearing (I don't have a clue what tore mine, too much flow maybe?) there isn't much difficult about them. Mine has been easy to keep. i don't do anything special, rarely even target feed. Also, I have torn/shredded numerous tentacles on it by accident, and never seemed to phase it.

I just checked some pictures and dates I had it for 22 months and 2 tank moves. Never knew they were so hard to keep. It looked great every single day as well :(

IME if you can keep it from tearing (I don't have a clue what tore mine, too much flow maybe?) there isn't much difficult about them. Mine has been easy to keep. i don't do anything special, rarely even target feed. Also, I have torn/shredded numerous tentacles on it by accident, and never seemed to phase it.

+1 I agree never feed it 1 time.

Claimed LoL

Thanks Jedi you just inspired me to hit up the LFS. Came home with a new Heliofungia for 23 dollars and a another awesome Wellso for 23 dollars. All there coral in one tank was 23 dollars each. Check back in a year and see how my plate is doing :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived