Cultivated Reef

Plate Coral Lovin'

Psychosis

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8226955241_7964bd4196_z.jpg

Here's my plate, one of the first corals that I ever purchased. He was on a big plug and detached himself a week ago, now I have a baby plate where he was attached.

• 2 weeks later...

20121208_082340.jpg

updated pic, this plate has now recovered from 2 tears in its flesh (first was much worse than the second) without the help of any iodine dips. not sure what is causing them. It has not looked the same since the fist tear.. anyway, it's still doing pretty good, some days it is happy some it is not... I have noticed that the tentacles are growing nobs.. looks like they have elbows... not sure what that is about..

clownfishlover

Just curious where is the tear at?

20121208_082340.jpg

updated pic, this plate has now recovered from 2 tears in its flesh (first was much worse than the second) without the help of any iodine dips. not sure what is causing them. It has not looked the same since the fist tear.. anyway, it's still doing pretty good, some days it is happy some it is not... I have noticed that the tentacles are growing nobs.. looks like they have elbows... not sure what that is about..

Just curious where is the tear at?

it would be on the back side in this photo. the second (smaller) tear is in the front left of this photo. The larger tear actually healed over top of the dead skeleton, makes it look lumpy, doesn't seem to bother it though.

the tears are both healed, and the plate is doing fine.. but the tentacles which look like they are trying to branch are strange..

edit: it's the flesh around the base that tears and is basically a death sentance to these (mine tore twice, this is what I'm talking about).. the tentacles on the other hand seem to heal fine, I have torn them a few times doing tank maintenance, doesn't really seem to bother the plate...

clownfishlover

Hi

Interesting about the elbows, mines have no elbows, I have mines in a QT for 3 months or so. I just decided not to move it after it got so comfortable in my 10 gallon QT. No tears yet, but mines for some reason seem to be growing a very alarming rate. The plate is around 3 inches while it closes but have expanded to around 9 inches, I saw it around 4 inches at LFS. Every 3 days I would feed it a 1/4 size of a shrimp and bits of scallops. Just wondering what size is yours just the hard skeleton alone?

it would be on the back side in this photo. the second (smaller) tear is in the front left of this photo. The larger tear actually healed over top of the dead skeleton, makes it look lumpy, doesn't seem to bother it though.

the tears are both healed, and the plate is doing fine.. but the tentacles which look like they are trying to branch are strange..

edit: it's the flesh around the base that tears and is basically a death sentance to these (mine tore twice, this is what I'm talking about).. the tentacles on the other hand seem to heal fine, I have torn them a few times doing tank maintenance, doesn't really seem to bother the plate...

Hi

Interesting about the elbows, mines have no elbows, I have mines in a QT for 3 months or so. I just decided not to move it after it got so comfortable in my 10 gallon QT. No tears yet, but mines for some reason seem to be growing a very alarming rate. The plate is around 3 inches while it closes but have expanded to around 9 inches, I saw it around 4 inches at LFS. Every 3 days I would feed it a 1/4 size of a shrimp and bits of scallops. Just wondering what size is yours just the hard skeleton alone?

I would say (without measuring or being at home close to the tank) it is probably between 3" and 4" skeleton alone. thing gets massive when it's fully inflated, it's body gets probably 6"+ in diameter and the tentacles can reach upwards of probably 3 1/2"+.. all just guesses though.. maybe I'll try to get some more accurate measurements...

also, the elbows only started forming maybe 2 months ago.. looks like the tentacles are trying to branch.. I really don't understand it...

• 2 weeks later...

Copy and paste the IMG code right in the topic body and picture will pop up instead of the link.

I lost both my plate corals over the last 2 months. :( My green one just died this past week. It slowly wasted away. Not sure why.

I lost both my plate corals over the last 2 months. :( My green one just died this past week. It slowly wasted away. Not sure why.
Parameters swinging? Alk swings will slowly kill LPS.

I really hate you right now , so wish those were in my tank

Guess you shouldn't see the new update pics of the plate family. :)

PlateFamilynew_zpsadf62425.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

It's awesome that this thread is still running. I don't have any new plates to add to the gallery, but as all ways I've got my eye out for my next addition.

Archived