Cultivated Reef

Plate Coral Lovin'

Psychosis

Since you guys seem to be plate lovers I got a quick question. I have a baby plate with a skeleton attached to LR (got him as a hitchhiker). How long till he detaches?

He looks like Jesse-Ray's plate.

Trust me, I did not make an error when I typed my username.

No, I actually think yours looks very healthy. It's more likely it naturally has a green rim. It may be similar to my "pinwheel" I have pictured in the OP.

On a slightly more advanced note, does any one have personal experience with Diaseris plates? They actually frag themselves, or so I've read. I'm tempted to see it for myself with this piece http://www.ebay.com/itm/Live-Coral-Purple-...=item3cc7203fa3

Even if it doesn't do the dirty work for me, that's fairly fiiine.

Excellent! thank you, I guess only time will tell for sure.

I hope to get a small collection of plates and set up a garden, I'll be clearing some room on the sand bed next water change!!

My LFS regularly gets really nice heliofungia in but you say they have a limited life span in captivity?

I shall begin my research into this as they are getting a shipment in a few weeks!

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone got any pics of tongue corals. I seen them in person once didn't recognize them till I left and never seen them for sale again. Very similare to plates just elongated.

jedimasterben
My LFS regularly gets really nice heliofungia in but you say they have a limited life span in captivity?

I shall begin my research into this as they are getting a shipment in a few weeks!

Heliofungia are very, very different than fungia, despite the nomenclature. They seem to do well for a few months and then mysteriously go downhill. If they receive any sort of tissue damage, as well, they are doomed (a 99% chance).

Mine has some receding tissue on it. :tears: I started iodine dipping last night, and will continue to do so every other day until it recovers or dies.

Heliofungia are very, very different than fungia, despite the nomenclature. They seem to do well for a few months and then mysteriously go downhill. If they receive any sort of tissue damage, as well, they are doomed (a 99% chance).

Mine has some receding tissue on it. :tears: I started iodine dipping last night, and will continue to do so every other day until it recovers or dies.

That is the general consensus I have been getting, I will have to be very sure i want to risk it when the time comes I guess.

Oh no! regardless of the odds my fingers are crossed for you!.

jedimasterben
That is the general consensus I have been getting, I will have to be very sure i want to risk it when the time comes I guess.

Oh no! regardless of the odds my fingers are crossed for you!.

I've already lost one (see a pic of it up in the thread here), it was the largest and most beautiful one I had ever seen. Stupid power outage. :(

I hope kat makes it through this round.

I'm barely breathing you guys are vicious.

She'll be OK. Her sandbed is too good for plate corals, with their rough "Other side of the tracks" upbringing.

:rolleyes:

I want a clean sandbed. I have a crap load of crap on my sand bed. don't make me come over there! :angry:

You want a clean detrius trap? Did OJ talk to you about isotoners or something? "It simply won't fit..."

To each their own. I'm going to run out of sand in my current build sooner than later, then I have to upgrade.

Sorry to hear about the Heliofungia ben. Such a touchy genus. Short tentacle plates are your friends.

jedimasterben
Sorry to hear about the Heliofungia ben. Such a touchy genus. Short tentacle plates are your friends.

Until my pistol shrimp steals them to use as real plates in his house lol.

Until my pistol shrimp steals them to use as real plates in his house lol.

Hahaha! Absolute gold!!

You want a clean detrius trap? Did OJ talk to you about isotoners or something? "It simply won't fit..."

To each their own. I'm going to run out of sand in my current build sooner than later, then I have to upgrade.

I have Nass snails cleaning up for me.

do you need a Babette to clean up your mess?

I didn't realize I wanted plates so badly until Shelby got me that Cycloserid Sp. for my birthday. It's a very subtle, siren call.

I would straight murder a pistol, or any thing else, for touching my plates. They'd go slow, too. Bamboo shoots, electric shock, a shady russian colonel doing my dirty work while I laugh a long, evil laugh. The whole 9.

A Babette would be...?

jedimasterben
A fluffy feather duster to clean up your sh*t.

:lol:

As long as you're holding said feather duster, a la French maid style. ;)

:naughtydance:

No no, I want acans, blastos, maxi minis, etc. I need a plate for it.

I'm thinking a 2" Diaseris plate if I can find one, or a small Fungia Repanda.. I'm on my phone, so I'm not playing with italics.

jedimasterben
How about this one from coral collection? Seems to be lots of actinic, but still nice.

300.JPG

All actinic, you mean. I hate when people use only actinics to try and sell ####, then you get it and it never looks quite like that.

All actinic, you mean. I hate when people use only actinics to try and sell ####, then you get it and it never looks quite like that.

+1

and sombody ban sanchez for posting a hot pink coral. :angry:

I have a rapid heartbeat and he's to blame.

Archived