Pod Your Reef

Tulips.

Deleted User 3

Bridgesii are fresh water snails so I doubt it's that. I have a 40 breeder full of bridgesii :)

I'm still saying it's a Collonista snail. Mine mostly come out at night and look very similar.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John from reefcleaners has helped me out with id'd before. I believe he is pretty busy though, so if nobody can help you here and you still want to know, you could send him a message. Try to get a better pic next time you see it out though.

albertthiel

My error yes Apple snails are freshwater indeed ... mixed up ID'ing it .. apologies

Albert

Bridgesii are fresh water snails so I doubt it's that. I have a 40 breeder full of bridgesii :)

I'm still saying it's a Collonista snail. Mine mostly come out at night and look very similar.

Deleted User 3
John from reefcleaners has helped me out with id'd before. I believe he is pretty busy though, so if nobody can help you here and you still want to know, you could send him a message. Try to get a better pic next time you see it out though.

Thats as good as I could get... Seriously. I only have a phone wth 5 megs right now.. and it only stays out for a bit and then hides. Thank you i'll ask john!

Yes I agree once they are in the tank the will more than likely disappear but you may be able to see them at night but use a red light so you do not scare them and chase them back into hiding. At that time at night you may be able to see better what they really look like and ID it.

Some can indeed be hard to identify ...

Albert

No, i have pictures, you can see it. Maybe i have to circle it.

Is this what yours looks like .. this is a Stomatella species ...

stomatellasnail.png

Albert

albertthiel

Yes good pics now but I have a hard time finding an identification so far but will keep looking for you and see what I can come up with, maybe other members on NR have seen this small snail and can post their answers, or it may very well be what was posted before but I have not been able to confirm that yet.

I'll check some more .... as I am intrigued myself as to what this is ... :)

Albert

Is this any better? Click the pic for bigger version.
Deleted User 3
Yes good pics now but I have a hard time finding an identification so far but will keep looking for you and see what I can come up with, maybe other members on NR have seen this small snail and can post their answers, or it may very well be what was posted before but I have not been able to confirm that yet.

I'll check some more .... as I am intrigued myself as to what this is ... :)

Albert

Thank you, thank you! :) I'm intrigued too. I know there are plenty of inhabitants we can't identify but i wish we could. Let me know what you find.

albertthiel

Below is a pic of a Collonista which seems to resemble what you have :

collonistasnail.png

Albert

Posted a pic of a Collonista ... do you think that is what is the new picture sent ... ?

Albert

Deleted User 3
Below is a pic of a Collonista which seems to resemble what you have :

collonistasnail.png

Albert

Posted a pic of a Collonista ... do you think that is what is the new picture sent ... ?

Albert

Doesn't seem like it.. this snail only has about 8 dots. it's not checkerboard pattern.

albertthiel

Well hopefully someone will come up with an ID for it for now ... that is all I could find for saltwater snails with pink dots and for other similar searches.

Albert

Doesn't seem like it.. this snail only has about 8 dots. it's not checkerboard pattern.
Well, either way, it is not a whelk, and not a snail that will eat beneficial bacteria, and you don't plan on coral, so I would just leave it and watch it grow.

+1 -- hard to get really little things out anyway ;). Any chance it could be a baby nassarius? I have a baby that I see every couple of weeks. Looks a lot like that, tho I've never seen spots! Keep in mind that things can change a lot as they grow. Colors of babies are often protective in some way.

Deleted User 3
+1 -- hard to get really little things out anyway ;). Any chance it could be a baby nassarius? I have a baby that I see every couple of weeks. Looks a lot like that, tho I've never seen spots! Keep in mind that things can change a lot as they grow. Colors of babies are often protective in some way.

True. Aww I hope it doesn't loose it's coloration, It's so cute and girly. :(

albertthiel

Yes it keeps amazing me too how many creatures we have in our aquariums that are small and that are real hard at times to ID. But that's what it is all about ... at some point someone will have an answer. I looked some more for yours but have not been able to find anything that resembles other than what I posted (but yes it does not have the pink spots).

Wonder if anyone else has been trying to figure it out ...

If I come up anything I will for sure let you know as I am as curious as you ... note that I have found several refs to small crabs and the like carrying eggs on their shells so the little spots could be just that ... if they disappear for some reason let us know ... as that would be an indication that Mama was carrying her eggs around ... unless it was Pappa doing the work :)

Albert

True. Aww I hope it doesn't loose it's coloration, It's so cute and girly. :(
Deleted User 3

Here is a pic of the diatom thing I had on the live rock, which is now really on the dry rock and some on the sand.

albertthiel

Seems unusual for diatoms to give off little bubbles as that is what I seem to see when I enlarge the pictures you posted ... try blowing it off with a baster or the output of a small powerhead and filter it out through mechanical filtration ...

If you are getting diatoms you may have too much silicate in the water. Alternatively it is an intermediate stage as the tank goes through whatever cycle it has to go through ...

Did you make any changes?

Are you using RO water or tap water?

You can also try to get rid of it by brushing with a tooth brush and filtering out the particulate with floss or whatever you use to trap detritus ...

Unless things get really out of hand with the diatoms conditions should IME improve as the tank ages over the next couple of weeks ... . FWIW

Albert

Here is a pic of the diatom thing I had on the live rock, which is now really on the dry rock and some on the sand.

You can also look up info here :

Nuisance Algae, Diatoms and air bubbles

Albert 

Collonista. They can be pink. A Google images search will turn up some pink ones for you.

Seems unusual for diatoms to give off little bubbles as that is what I seem to see when I enlarge the pictures you posted ... try blowing it off with a baster or the output of a small powerhead and filter it out through mechanical filtration ...

I had it happen in one of my tanks: in areas where the diatom layer was very thick. It typically only happens when the lights are on. It is just the O2 pushing through the diatoms.

I wouldn't expect to see it when a tank has had a pretty soft cycle, but this hobby is full of things I wasn't expecting to see.

Deleted User 3

If you are getting diatoms you may have too much silicate in the water. Alternatively it is an intermediate stage as the tank goes through whatever cycle it has to go through ...

Did you make any changes?

Are you using RO water or tap water?

You can also try to get rid of it by brushing with a tooth brush and filtering out the particulate with floss or whatever you use to trap detritus ...

Unless things get really out of hand with the diatoms conditions should IME improve as the tank ages over the next couple of weeks ... . FWIW

Albert

You can also look up info here :

Nuisance Algae, Diatoms and air bubbles

Albert 

My tank is in the process of cycling, Albert... aren't diatoms supposed to happen? I'm not worried, I just wanted confirmation. &It just got bubbles when i changed some of the water because they got stuck in the fibers stickin up.

I had it happen in one of my tanks: in areas where the diatom layer was very thick. It typically only happens when the lights are on. It is just the O2 pushing through the diatoms.

I wouldn't expect to see it when a tank has had a pretty soft cycle, but this hobby is full of things I wasn't expecting to see.

It's from when I poured the new water in, im 100% sure because thats when it appeared :P. I did it over the rocks to see if i could get the diatoms off a bit :P

Collonista. They can be pink. A Google images search will turn up some pink ones for you.

It's white with about 8 pink dots on the swirl pattern. Doesn't look like the collonista's ive been seeing on google. =\

Deleted User 3
f6d98819.jpg

What the heck, thats about it just with like 70% less dots lol. I even googled collonista pink dots, and i got like a checkerboard pattern.. not anything like mine. Is it still the same if it has less dots?

thats the only one i have and if it dies it dies.

What are you, Drago from Rocky IV?

that's not a good attitude to have young lady. it's an animal, relying on YOU to keep it healthy.

What the heck, thats about it just with like 70% less dots lol. I even googled collonista pink dots, and i got like a checkerboard pattern.. not anything like mine. Is it still the same if it has less dots?

There are variations, mutations, and defects within all species: to greater and lesser degrees. Think about what occurs within our own.

I am 100% certain you've got a collonista snail. That said, I'm not a taxonomist.

Deleted User 3
What are you, Drago from Rocky IV?

that's not a good attitude to have young lady. it's an animal, relying on YOU to keep it healthy.

Right, it was given to me for free, or the guy said he was gonna flush it... sooo... people can stop getting on me about this. It's doing fine.

There are variations, mutations, and defects within all species: to greater and lesser degrees. Think about what occurs within our own.

I am 100% certain you've got a collonista snail. That said, I'm not a taxonomist.

Cool.

Archived