Pod Your Reef

Tulips.

Deleted User 3

:lol: You two really need to quit with the pseudo-French. You're pretty close on somethings, but way off on others. Thanks for the giggle. ;)

Back to the tank . . . Cool find on the second snail. :)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 3
:lol: You two really need to quit with the pseudo-French. You're pretty close on somethings, but way off on others. Thanks for the giggle. ;)

Yeah i said I speak a little... I wasn't talking to you anyway... so. #### off :P

IMO you should have some kind of particulate filtration on top of what you have and some GAC and maybe Chemipure bag or something similar to keep water quality under control more than what you are now doing with the rock ... Just my opinion though

Albert

Is that the translation you got from Google?

C'est la vie = That's life and an expression often used to say : well that's what happens or can happen

Bon Mardi.

Albert

No, my friend from France said its literally thats the life, but it means that's life, or such is life, kinda of like sh*t happens.

IMO you should have some kind of particulate filtration on top of what you have and some GAC and maybe Chemipure bag or something similar to keep water quality under control more than what you are now doing with the rock ... Just my opinion though

Albert

I heard conflicting opinions of Chemipure and or using carbon. The water is clear without using it, so I think my rocks are doing a decent job, and the worms, sponge, etc ha ha.When I add fish i'll have to see I think. Some tell me not to use any filtration just the sponge, but then people say the sponge collects stuff and then builds nitrates, but then If i clean it, it doesnt.. so who knows.

I also was told by a few to use it once every week, to do what it has to do, if you leave it in there all the time it can deplete trace elements too.

jedimasterben
I heard conflicting opinions of Chemipure and or using carbon. The water is clear without using it, so I think my rocks are doing a decent job, and the worms, sponge, etc ha ha.When I add fish i'll have to see I think. Some tell me not to use any filtration just the sponge, but then people say the sponge collects stuff and then builds nitrates, but then If i clean it, it doesnt.. so who knows.

I also was told by a few to use it once every week, to do what it has to do, if you leave it in there all the time it can deplete trace elements too.

Carbon will not deplete any trace elements, or no one that uses carbon would be able to keep any corals, plain and simple.

Carbon will remove impurities, discoloration, and odor from the water. It will also absorb toxins coral emit as allelopathy - essentially chemical warfare, trying to kill what it next to it to decrease competition. Once you put fish in, as they poo, it will break down and "dirty" the water, and it will start to give off an odd smell - carbon will eliminate that.

Chemipure I'm not sure of what exactly it does that carbon won't, other than absorbing some phosphate (I think?).

The whole point of having a HOB filter are such: to have mechanical filtration to trap detritus and debris that will otherwise accumulate in your tank and also to have an area to put chemical filtration cartridges, like carbon and chemipure. I would not use the sponge it came with, but use filter floss (get it at Walmart, it is just pillow stuffing, cheap as all getout). Replace it weekly or biweekly and you will not have issues.

And carbon is not particularly useful if used once per week - does your tank ever stop producing waste/toxins? Nope. (unless you have no life in it, but what's the fun in that? lol)

Deleted User 3
Carbon will not deplete any trace elements, or no one that uses carbon would be able to keep any corals, plain and simple.

Carbon will remove impurities, discoloration, and odor from the water. It will also absorb toxins coral emit as allelopathy - essentially chemical warfare, trying to kill what it next to it to decrease competition. Once you put fish in, as they poo, it will break down and "dirty" the water, and it will start to give off an odd smell - carbon will eliminate that.

Chemipure I'm not sure of what exactly it does that carbon won't, other than absorbing some phosphate (I think?).

The whole point of having a HOB filter are such: to have mechanical filtration to trap detritus and debris that will otherwise accumulate in your tank and also to have an area to put chemical filtration cartridges, like carbon and chemipure. I would not use the sponge it came with, but use filter floss (get it at Walmart, it is just pillow stuffing, cheap as all getout). Replace it weekly or biweekly and you will not have issues.

And carbon is not particularly useful if used once per week - does your tank ever stop producing waste/toxins? Nope. (unless you have no life in it, but what's the fun in that? lol)

I know about chemical warfare and stuff but im not having any corals other than the one Ihave right now *& then two fish lol.... & yeah i heard that about chemipure. So I was just going to get reg carbon. I'll stick to the carbon then & i was going to get the fluffy stuff from walmart but i don't know how to put the carbon in it lol.

jedimasterben
I know about chemical warfare and stuff but im not having any corals other than the one Ihave right now *& then two fish lol.... & yeah i heard that about chemipure. So I was just going to get reg carbon. I'll stick to the carbon then & i was going to get the fluffy stuff from walmart but i don't know how to put the carbon in it lol.

No, carbon comes in small granules. You will need a bag to put them in. You can get them at Petco for cheap in the filter section, they're called filter media bags. Carbon should be really cheap, too. I got a 1L canister of it from Seachem for like $20, and I only use like 100-150mL of it at a time, and I replace it at least once a month (I have a lot of soft corals, so lots of allelopathy), so that's around 10 months to a year's worth for $20. You will need to use even less, more like 25mL or so.

Deleted User 3
No, carbon comes in small granules. You will need a bag to put them in. You can get them at Petco for cheap in the filter section, they're called filter media bags. Carbon should be really cheap, too. I got a 1L canister of it from Seachem for like $20, and I only use like 100-150mL of it at a time, and I replace it at least once a month (I have a lot of soft corals, so lots of allelopathy), so that's around 10 months to a year's worth for $20. You will need to use even less, more like 25mL or so.

So why the fluffy stuff? the bio bags i get have that holding in the carbon.

Much cheaper to donut separately. Much much cheaper. And believe me, carbon helps a lot. I ran my tank au natural for a while with nothing but live rock and didn't think the water could possibly get clearer. Then I used filter floss "wow, I can't believe there was that much stuff floating around.". A while later I started chemi pure elite ( carbon with negligible amount of phosphate remover) and let me tell you.... If it wasn't for the ripples on top, I wouldn't have been able to tell that there was water in my tank. Makes me want to go all out and get a reactor, but I don't like spending money ;)

Also, all these hob filters with special medias and such are meant for freshwater, not really salt. Those predict all in one type filter medias used to sit in my fresh tanks for months without changing them

I won't let my filter floss even go 5 days with changing. All I feed is pellets and I spot feed.

jedimasterben
So why the fluffy stuff? the bio bags i get have that holding in the carbon.

It is to trap detritus and really fine particles. The bags with carbon in them won't trap any of that.

Much cheaper to donut separately. Much much cheaper. And believe me, carbon helps a lot. I ran my tank au natural for a while with nothing but live rock and didn't think the water could possibly get clearer. Then I used filter floss "wow, I can't believe there was that much stuff floating around.". A while later I started chemi pure elite ( carbon with negligible amount of phosphate remover) and let me tell you.... If it wasn't for the ripples on top, I wouldn't have been able to tell that there was water in my tank. Makes me want to go all out and get a reactor, but I don't like spending money ;)

Also, all these hob filters with special medias and such are meant for freshwater, not really salt. Those predict all in one type filter medias used to sit in my fresh tanks for months without changing them

I won't let my filter floss even go 5 days with changing. All I feed is pellets and I spot feed.

Mmmmmm.... donuts.....

homerosimpsonwallpaperhomer102.jpg

It is significantly cheaper to buy carbon in big canisters and only use what you need. Think about it - those bags with carbon already in them will last the same amount of time, have way more than you need, and cost over $10 each. So $120 a year if you change it monthly (recommended). Or, spend $1 on a bag and $20 on a thing of carbon that will last you a couple of years.

Ouais, c'est vrai. Peut-etre que c'est parce que nous sommes plus froides qu'elles ne sont! hahaha!

Except that there are those of us who can still read French, even if it's been a while since we've written or spoken successfully. Comprehension was always better than production! So, you may have to resort to texting style French...I cannot understand any of my French FB friends!

I ran my tank au natural for a while with nothing but live rock and didn't think the water could possibly get clearer. Then I used filter floss "wow, I can't believe there was that much stuff floating around.". A while later I started chemi pure elite ( carbon with negligible amount of phosphate remover) and let me tell you.... If it wasn't for the ripples on top, I wouldn't have been able to tell that there was water in my tank. Makes me want to go all out and get a reactor, but I don't like spending money ;)

Yes, having taken out the fluffy white carbon-containing filter recommended for BC14s, I can attest to how much I miss having something that catches detritus. Will be adding that back into chamber 1 this week! My tank has become prone to phosphates, so I am using PhosGen at the moment. Was cheaper than replacing the chempure elite every few months. I do have a seachem product in there currently for nitrates, too. Need to get parameters checked to see if this combo is a good one, or I'm just going back to the over-priced filters recommended by Oceanic.

jedimasterben
Be careful, some carbon has a lot of PO4 in it.

Really? Interesting, didn't know that. Particular brand or anything, or just random samples?

Deleted User 3
It is to trap detritus and really fine particles. The bags with carbon in them won't trap any of that.

Mmmmmm.... donuts.....

homerosimpsonwallpaperhomer102.jpg

It is significantly cheaper to buy carbon in big canisters and only use what you need. Think about it - those bags with carbon already in them will last the same amount of time, have way more than you need, and cost over $10 each. So $120 a year if you change it monthly (recommended). Or, spend $1 on a bag and $20 on a thing of carbon that will last you a couple of years.

I dont get the premade ones, i put the carbon in the filter floss type bags.

albertthiel

Guess it's just another nice thing about this forum ... there are members of all nationalities and origins and members who speak all kinds of different languages ... World wide NR ! C'est magnifique. Zeer Leuk, Very nice!

Albert

Deleted User 3
Except that there are those of us who can still read French, even if it's been a while since we've written or spoken successfully. Comprehension was always better than production! So, you may have to resort to texting style French...I cannot understand any of my French FB friends!

Yes, having taken out the fluffy white carbon-containing filter recommended for BC14s, I can attest to how much I miss having something that catches detritus. Will be adding that back into chamber 1 this week! My tank has become prone to phosphates, so I am using PhosGen at the moment. Was cheaper than replacing the chempure elite every few months. I do have a seachem product in there currently for nitrates, too. Need to get parameters checked to see if this combo is a good one, or I'm just going back to the over-priced filters recommended by Oceanic.

I can't either! They use too much lingo... I have no idea what they say, and the abbreviated and stuff! Ugh!

Hmm. Carbon it is then. My water is super clear anyway but im sure when i use carbon for more than 1 day it'll look better maybe!

albertthiel

Good math on the use of carbon indeed ... why spend more when you can spend less :) and it looks like TulipGirl is using it that way ...

Albert

On the Chemi-Pure some swear by it and others do not ... that's the hobby ... there are always many opinions on ever subject and I don't think that there is one totally correct answer in most cases (e.g. Lighting, Skimming, ozone, peroxide, etc.)

On the tank ... TuLipGirl .... I still think you need some form of particulate filtration

--- ++ ----

I dont get the premade ones, i put the carbon in the filter floss type bags.

Love the Donut

http://goodluckmakingrent.com/images/homer...perhomer102.jpg

Albert

albertthiel

Catching detritus will help your water quality but remember to change the floss or whatever you use regularly or it will have the opposite effect FWIW

Albert

Yes that is correct .... rinse it well and when I did so I used an acid solution to do so and that took most of it out ... good quality high grade carbon however should be fine .. it's the non granular, little squares one that makes your hands all black that usually is the one that has all the PO4 in it

Albert

Be careful, some carbon has a lot of PO4 in it.

Pseudo French ? I am from Belgium ... speak fluent French :) :)

Albert

Deleted User 3
Pseudo French ? I am from Belgium ... speak fluent French :) :)

Albert

He's probably referring more to my bad french :P. But atleast you know what i mean.

albertthiel

And German, French and Dutch / Flemish :) but that's because in Europe in many countries once you finish high school you know several languages and in Belgium in particular you usually end up knowing 4.

Of course here in the US most of the foreign languages are not always that much of an advantage and cannot be used frequently as one does not often meet someone speaking Dutch or Flemish for instance :0

Albert

He's probably referring more to my bad french :P. But atleast you know what i mean.

I would say :

Je ne parle pas le Francais courrament, juste un peu.

Albert

Je parle francais un petit peu (and that's probably got grammar errors as well :P )
Deleted User 3

Hey Albert.. I don't have a picture because it's in an odd space, but I have something thats puzzling me, i thought it was another vermitid snail web thing, but it's thick.. like noodles, small noodles. Coming out of a part of the live rock. It's not at all close to the thin web of the vermitid snail... 2 of them are out, when I put the light on the, they retract... they're white also.. bigger than the little white arms of the mini brittles I have, and 2x longer or 3x. and they're perfectly circular.

I must be confused. I thought that nitrate is the end result of the nitrogen process. Ammonia processed into nitrite which then is used and turned into nitrate. Ending the process. Nitrate being something that constantly needs to be managed in some form. Ammonia might always be at 0 in tanks but isn't that because of the bacteria present on the rock using it as a food source? I guess I can see the 100 percent change working by removing the excess ammonia from the die off. So why is there so much concern with a proper cycle if you can just do what you're saying?

Sorry don't mean to stray things from your nice looking tank just looking for knowledge.

Sorry this lead me to believe you were doing a water change, which might no be a bad idea with this new info I've read.

negatory. if you need to manage nitrates then your system is unbalanced, end of story. some people are ok with that. i'm not. if nitrates are undetectable in the waters surrounding a healthy reef, and one is trying to maintain a closed representation of a healthy reef, then the ideal is to have nutrient conversion balanced with production, i.e. everything at zero. that's just my own standard, like i said, others like fiddling and overmanaging their tanks, i don't. i like setting up a well acclimated, balanced system with components as close to natural as possible, and letting the biological factors stabilize long-term with minimal intervention.

the concern with what you call "a proper cycle" is just ignorance. you can't not have "a cycle". the nitrogen cycle is occurring constantly, everywhere. wherever there's soil or water, there are nitrogenous conversions occurring via bacterial metabolism - even in the cracks of a sidewalk. obviously fresh live rock has all the components, the point of the 100% daily water changes is to minimize toxins in the water column. the bacteria are big boys, they can take care of themselves. manipulating their populations by generating water column artifacts with rotting shrimp or other nonsense is counterproductive.

albertthiel

Yes I know what you mean and refer to ... little white tentacles coming out of a hole in the rock .. is that what you see but only when the lights are kind of out or when they are in a darker area ?

Have look at this link : http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rs/index.php

Is this what you see (maybe not the tube but just the little white tentacles) ... let me know

Albert

Hey Albert.. I don't have a picture because it's in an odd space, but I have something thats puzzling me, i thought it was another vermitid snail web thing, but it's thick.. like noodles, small noodles. Coming out of a part of the live rock. It's not at all close to the thin web of the vermitid snail... 2 of them are out, when I put the light on the, they retract... they're white also.. bigger than the little white arms of the mini brittles I have, and 2x longer or 3x. and they're perfectly circular.
Deleted User 3
Yes I know what you mean and refer to ... little white tentacles coming out of a hole in the rock .. is that what you see but only when the lights are kind of out or when they are in a darker area ?

Have look at this link : http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rs/index.php

Is this what you see (maybe not the tube but just the little white tentacles) ... let me know

Albert

No i have those too. I found out what it is, a spaghetti worm. Cooool. Keep finding new things, where do they COME from!?

albertthiel

Usually non granular cheap carbon that will make your hands real black when you touch it. Treated carbon pellets will not do that and should not be an issue for PO4 ... the cheap stuff which is usually sold by stores out of big containers as generic stuff or in bags that are not really from known manufacturers will be the kind you do not want to get

Albert

Really? Interesting, didn't know that. Particular brand or anything, or just random samples?
Deleted User 3
Usually non granular cheap carbon that will make your hands real black when you touch it. Treated carbon pellets will not do that and should not be an issue for PO4 ... the cheap stuff which is usually sold by stores out of big containers as generic stuff or in bags that are not really from known manufacturers will be the kind you do not want to get

Albert

Well i wanna find cheap stuff. a $20 investment right now sucks but i have a bit of time anyway. I have to buy a powerhead as well. So I'll just make a mass foster smith.com order if they have something decent... how will I know if it gets on my hands if i cant pick it up?

Archived