Pod Your Reef

Tulips.

Deleted User 3

jedimasterben

If hair algae wasn't so bad of a color I wouldn't mind if (if I could control where it is, of course). I had a patch growing behind a rock in my tank, and I was looking at it before I scraped it off and was like man, if it wasn't brown and ugly looking, I would like it - I love the way it flows back and forth in a thick mat.

I then hastily scraped it off and hoped I'd never see it again lol. :)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 3

You can see it in some of the photos i've posted. It literally looks like grass. It seems to be brown on the rocks like diatoms & then grew on top of them. lol. Like a lawn. Hair algae seems long but this could be that. I was wondering because its not on the live rock anymore, but really on 2 peices of dry, not in the shaded parts at all, maybe the phosphates the rocks leach out is doing something?

@Ben it is cool sort of. Hilarious watching the mini brittles wade thru it lol.

albertthiel
My dwarf ceriths eat the heck out of it and it's awesome to watch them eat "crop circles" in it! :lol:

Interesting ... any pics of the crop circles. I know what you mean but pics would be nice ...

Albert

albertthiel
If hair algae wasn't so bad of a color I wouldn't mind if (if I could control where it is, of course). I had a patch growing behind a rock in my tank, and I was looking at it before I scraped it off and was like man, if it wasn't brown and ugly looking, I would like it - I love the way it flows back and forth in a thick mat.

I then hastily scraped it off and hoped I'd never see it again lol. :)

If you really want tons of information on blue greens and cyan's and hair algae try to get hold of the following book maybe through your Library :

Introduction and Guide to the Marine Blue Green Algae by Humm and Wicks, pub by Wiley Interscience

ISBN 0-471-05215-5 This is the most comprehensive one I have on blue green etc. algae and covers them in super great detail, more so than Lee's Seaweed Handbook and even Bold and Wynne's books or Magruder and Hunt ... Great book but not sure how easy it is to find ... did not check Amazon though.

Albert

If you really want tons of information on blue greens and cyan's and hair algae try to get hold of the following book maybe through your Library :

Introduction and Guide to the Marine Blue Green Algae by Humm and Wicks, pub by Wiley Interscience

ISBN 0-471-05215-5 This is the most comprehensive one I have on blue green etc. algae and covers them in super great detail, more so than Lee's Seaweed Handbook and even Bold and Wynne's books or Magruder and Hunt ... Great book but not sure how easy it is to find ... did not check Amazon though.

Albert

Wow! With the cheapest price on Amazon being $102, it should be of biblical impact!

surgicalsense
It doesn't swim, it crawls kind of. I don't think it's a stomella... the peoplei got the rock from say they have them and they look different, so I have no idea!! Cant find it now. Hopefully my snails get here today cuz I gotta mow the grass! It's even on my thermometer :( lol

:lol: mow the grass. I am sure they will clean up your tank nicely.

albertthiel
Wow! With the cheapest price on Amazon being $102, it should be of biblical impact!

Yes it is indeed one of the most comprehensive books on the subject I have ever purchased but I did so a long time ago and paid 31.50 English pounds for it in the UK and that has to be 15 or so years ago.

It is very very detailed indeed

Albert

Deleted User 3

Hmm I sense a partial thread hijacking going on...

PS.. SNAILS. mowing the grass... and the glass >< GRR mow the grass snails! Chop chop!

Deleted User 3
My dwarf ceriths eat the heck out of it and it's awesome to watch them eat "crop circles" in it! :lol:

Cant wait :D I watched a dwarf 'lick' the glass lol atleast thats what i looks like haha

jedimasterben

Keep an eye on those nerite snails (the big round ones), they can't flip themselves over if they fall onto the back of their shell. Other than that, they are amazing cleaners, one of my favorite snails.

Deleted User 3
Keep an eye on those nerite snails (the big round ones), they can't flip themselves over if they fall onto the back of their shell. Other than that, they are amazing cleaners, one of my favorite snails.

the big ones? yeah ive been helpin them along i noticed they didn't flip themselves like the others did. Like a turtle I guess. :)

Deleted User 3

okay so.. 17 hours after adding snails, Levels are...

Salinity 1.023

pH 8.4 (from 8)

Ammonia .25

Temp 76 (its been cooler in the house so its not at 77 like normal)

Nitrite 5 ppm

Nitrate 0 ppm

Not too shabby, well i dont think it's too bad seeing as I have atleast 115 snails in there lol. 100 of them are dwarf ceriths.

albertthiel
okay so.. 17 hours after adding snails, Levels are...

Salinity 1.023

pH 8.4 (from 8)

Ammonia .25

Temp 76 (its been cooler in the house so its not at 77 like normal)

Nitrite 5 ppm

Nitrate 0 ppm

Not too shabby, well i dont think it's too bad seeing as I have atleast 115 snails in there lol. 100 of them are dwarf ceriths.

100 or so of these :

dwarfcerithsnail.png

Interesting fact : If you place a light next to your tank when the lights are off, (such as a computer desk lamp), the dwarf ceriths in your tank will flock to the area where the light shines in, and form a large cluster in that area. It takes some time though, they are snails after all.

Deleted User 3
100 or so of these :

dwarfcerithsnail.png

Interesting fact : If you place a light next to your tank when the lights are off, (such as a computer desk lamp), the dwarf ceriths in your tank will flock to the area where the light shines in, and form a large cluster in that area. It takes some time though, they are snails after all.

Cool im going to try that.

Woo hoo -- pictures! I know, I'm a day late, but it's been a busy couple of days. Very nice shots! Love the reddish macro, too. Yay :D!!

Deleted User 3
Woo hoo -- pictures! I know, I'm a day late, but it's been a busy couple of days. Very nice shots! Love the reddish macro, too. Yay :D!!

:D:) I'm waiting for the snails to mow ALL the grass lol. They got the sand now get the rocks ><. lol. And monti is growing new .. branches is the word. Yay monti! and i like the macro too.. its... red graciliara? (sp)... it feels funny :P. Fish soooooooon :D just waanna make sure levels are okay. They weren't up too much this morning, we'll check tomorrow.

Deleted User 3

tested this morning. Everything is 0 besides 5ppm nitrates. pH is down to 8 again... from 8.4... I dont know why that is. Ammonia could have a reading but it's so hard to tell. Looks more like 0 to me. No dead snails yet, so. I thought my dry rock was getting calcified... turns out it's just clean.... :lol: .. The snails took off the diatoms, and the hair algae (or whatever it is) in spots, and it's so WHITE there lol.

albertthiel
tested this morning. Everything is 0 besides 5ppm nitrates. pH is down to 8 again... from 8.4... I dont know why that is. Ammonia could have a reading but it's so hard to tell. Looks more like 0 to me. No dead snails yet, so. I thought my dry rock was getting calcified... turns out it's just clean.... :lol: .. The snails took off the diatoms, and the hair algae (or whatever it is) in spots, and it's so WHITE there lol.

pH varies during the day and that is normal. Just take some measurements at different times of the day and you will probably find that it is low in the AM and by the end of the day it will be back on the higher side again. Nothing to worry about. Good to read the cleaners have been doing a good job already

Albert

jedimasterben
pH varies during the day and that is normal. Just take some measurements at different times of the day and you will probably find that it is low in the AM and by the end of the day it will be back on the higher side again. Nothing to worry about. Good to read the cleaners have been doing a good job already

Albert

This. Never, ever, ever dose anything because your pH is not exactly 8.4. My system has never seen a pH of 8.0, always a steady 7.8 whether the lights are on or not.

Albert

yeah don't worry tulip. my tank's pH goes from 7.8 before lights-on to 8.4 right after lights-out. the diurnal cycle is tied to CO2 generation/depletion from respiration/photosynthesis, respectively. you see the same effect in the waters surrounding healthy reefs in the wild. nothing to be concerned about, it generally indicates high metabolic rates of the tank's inhabitants.

Deleted User 3
This. Never, ever, ever dose anything because your pH is not exactly 8.4. My system has never seen a pH of 8.0, always a steady 7.8 whether the lights are on or not.

I know it varies, i dont want to dose anything, ever. I just didn't expect it since it was so stable before!

Albert

... Well this is why i was concerned.. It was 8.4 yesterday morning... and this morning, same time, is 7.8. & Thanks ! :)

albertthiel
I know it varies, i dont want to dose anything, ever. I just didn't expect it since it was so stable before!

... Well this is why i was concerned.. It was 8.4 yesterday morning... and this morning, same time, is 7.8. & Thanks ! :)

Did you change anything between yesterday and this morning ... or are you missing an coral or another piece of livestock ... what is the ammonia level ... if you are using a skimmer is it foaming more than usual ?

Albert

Deleted User 3
Did you change anything between yesterday and this morning ... or are you missing an coral or another piece of livestock ... what is the ammonia level ... if you are using a skimmer is it foaming more than usual ?

Albert

No, no... i can't really count all the snails. Ammonia is I think 0, no skimmer.

Archived