Pod Your Reef

Tulips.

Deleted User 3

TeflonTomDosh
1 15 watt bulb is nowhere near enough for an sps. Actinic bulbs is essential to their growth also. In the very very short time you have had it, you should be in reefing magazine world wide if you already have noticeable growth. Do you mean the polyps are growing? Or the skeleton/ hard part?

+1 lololol

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 3
1 15 watt bulb is nowhere near enough for an sps. Actinic bulbs is essential to their growth also. In the very very short time you have had it, you should be in reefing magazine world wide if you already have noticeable growth. Do you mean the polyps are growing? Or the skeleton/ hard part?

The skeleton.... everyone else is wrong saying it's growing.. they said because the tips are bare are a lighter color than the rest. =\ Guess i can't rely on anyone giving me good advice or anything.

I must be looking at the wrong pictures as I do not see any nuisance algae which is what I understood you were referring to but maybe I misunderstood ...

Albert

I was referring to the diatom bloom you get in the cycle, on the rocks. But no one knows for sure if that's what it is, but i know it wasn't there 2 days ago, so it's new.

albertthiel

No way of telling as I did not see a close up of the bottom of the tank where you think the diatoms are ... can you post one ?

If the substrate is sand the likelihood of diatoms is higher and more intense than if you have another substrate IME ...

As I said a pic of the actual bottom (close up) would help in trying to figure it out ... Thanks

Albert

The skeleton.... everyone else is wrong saying it's growing.. they said because the tips are bare are a lighter color than the rest. =\ Guess i can't rely on anyone giving me good advice or anything.

I was referring to the diatom bloom you get in the cycle, on the rocks. But no one knows for sure if that's what it is, but i know it wasn't there 2 days ago, so it's new.

Deleted User 3
No way of telling as I did not see a close up of the bottom of the tank where you think the diatoms are ... can you post one ?

If the substrate is sand the likelihood of diatoms is higher and more intense than if you have another substrate IME ...

As I said a pic of the actual bottom (close up) would help in trying to figure it out ... Thanks

Albert

It is not on the bottom of the tank, I took pictures of the live rock I saw something rusty colored on, all over. I don't technically have sand, it's like crushed coral but finer... it's natures ocean aragonite sand i got from petco I think.

albertthiel

I looked at it again and clicked on the reduced pic to get a full screen view on my Mac and although I see little specs here and there I am not sure that they are diatoms but given that you say they suddenly appeared it could be.

Do you have a silicate test? If so measure the level and post the result ...

What I used to recommend was 0.05 ppm SiO2 or less to minimize diatom growth ... but other organisms require silica as well so it should not be down to zero or not measurable.

Salifert makes a silicate test for salt water ...

Albert

It is not on the bottom of the tank, I took pictures of the live rock I saw something rusty colored on, all over. I don't technically have sand, it's like crushed coral but finer... it's natures ocean aragonite sand i got from petco I think.
Deleted User 3
I looked at it again and clicked on the reduced pic to get a full screen view on my Mac and although I see little specs here and there I am not sure that they are diatoms but given that you say they suddenly appeared it could be.

Do you have a silicate test? If so measure the level and post the result ...

What I used to recommend was 0.05 ppm SiO2 or less to minimize diatom growth ... but other organisms require silica as well so it should not be down to zero or not measurable.

Salifert makes a silicate test for salt water ...

Albert

Im not concerned, i was excited.. since im cycling, diatom bloom is a good sign, so i ordered a CUC and then it'll be fine.

thegambler26
looking good tulip! glad it all worked out.

just to correct, this is a common misconception. whenever we get a new batch of live rock, we do 100% water changes every 12-24 hrs to minimize die off, which is what actually worsens and extends cycles. ammonia is toxic even at relatively low concentrations, so if you let ammonia sit, it will kill stuff, which decays and makes more ammonia, and draws out cycles. the last batch of live rock i had air-shipped from indonesia (75 lbs) was out of the water and on the plane for 72 hrs. with our procedure our "cycle" was only a weekend long. we got the rock thursday night, put it in 4, 50 gal tubs. we changed 100% every day, by monday no ammonia... and no ammonia means no nitrates.... and nicely preserved live rock as nature made it, right off the reef.

our intention is to preserve bacterial populations to as close as they are represented in nature, so for our purposes this works well.

I must be confused. I thought that nitrate is the end result of the nitrogen process. Ammonia processed into nitrite which then is used and turned into nitrate. Ending the process. Nitrate being something that constantly needs to be managed in some form. Ammonia might always be at 0 in tanks but isn't that because of the bacteria present on the rock using it as a food source? I guess I can see the 100 percent change working by removing the excess ammonia from the die off. So why is there so much concern with a proper cycle if you can just do what you're saying?

Sorry don't mean to stray things from your nice looking tank just looking for knowledge.

I just stirred it every so often and it seemed like all the salt was dissolved esp since it was 78 degrees in the bucket. Also, this is just my initial water change... so i dont have to worry about fish or coral staying alive really... until I get some.ph is 8, is that bad? And yes i waited 5 hrs actually about 6.

Sorry this lead me to believe you were doing a water change, which might no be a bad idea with this new info I've read.

Deleted User 3
I must be confused. I thought that nitrate is the end result of the nitrogen process. Ammonia processed into nitrite which then is used and turned into nitrate. Ending the process. Nitrate being something that constantly needs to be managed in some form. Ammonia might always be at 0 in tanks but isn't that because of the bacteria present on the rock using it as a food source? I guess I can see the 100 percent change working by removing the excess ammonia from the die off. So why is there so much concern with a proper cycle if you can just do what you're saying?

Sorry don't mean to stray things from your nice looking tank just looking for knowledge.

Sorry this lead me to believe you were doing a water change, which might no be a bad idea with this new info I've read.

I didn't mean water change i meant water fill up.. like the first time i put water in the tank at all.. also i will be doing a partial WC because i just ordered a cuc so probably tomorrow i will do it, o rmonday.

albertthiel

Well that's good to read ... good luck with the tank

Albert

Im not concerned, i was excited.. since im cycling, diatom bloom is a good sign, so i ordered a CUC and then it'll be fine.

How small? Shell shape is similar to a turbo. Those pink dots coincide with the bumps on a turbos shell, but the body dragging behind is sort of confusing.

Deleted User 3
How small? Shell shape is similar to a turbo. Those pink dots coincide with the bumps on a turbos shell, but the body dragging behind is sort of confusing.

teeenie tiny. under 1 cm i'd say... hard to tell I can't find my measuring tape, i'd say half a cm? maybe less?

Definately have 'dirty' sand now, i can see the little hairs that were on the rock yesterday plus some brown starting to show up. My CUC is shipped tomorrow, so i should get them tuesday-wed i hope.

Jacob042426

if you do an odyssa, do the 24". i think that you should do gu10s though. they are very energy efficient, inexpensive, and proven results. pm tinygiant, he'll help you out.

Deleted User 3
if you do an odyssa, do the 24". i think that you should do gu10s though. they are very energy efficient, inexpensive, and proven results. pm tinygiant, he'll help you out.

stop talking about lights... I dont wanna talk about lights right now. It just makes me angry lol.BACK to the snaily thing.

Well, either way, it is not a whelk, and not a snail that will eat beneficial bacteria, and you don't plan on coral, so I would just leave it and watch it grow.

Deleted User 3
Well, either way, it is not a whelk, and not a snail that will eat beneficial bacteria, and you don't plan on coral, so I would just leave it and watch it grow.

I will, it's cute. I've just seen it eating algae so far. But it's soooo cuuuteeee. :wub:

My guess on the snail would be collonista snail. I have them all over my reef. they are really good cleaners and reef safe.

Deleted User 3

Oh, PS i never see him with lights on, ive seen him twice RIGHT after i turn the light on in the morning or look @ night with them off.. like he moved away and hid when i turned the light on this morn.

albertthiel

Could be Pomacea bridgesii but you would have to look for some more references on the Net and then decide whether it is indeed what you have ...

Albert

Finally saw the cute lil white snail with pink dots today! :D

Anyone have a breed/species for this?

Are they usually only visible at night ? I think that variety likes to hide and even attach itself to other ones, and yes multiplies real easily IME .. but not sure that was was referred to is one of those (see my other posts for a possible ID

Albert

My guess on the snail would be collonista snail. I have them all over my reef. they are really goo cleaners and reef safe.
Deleted User 3
Could be Pomacea bridgesii but you would have to look for some more references on the Net and then decide whether it is indeed what you have ...

Albert

Are they usually only visible at night ? I think that variety likes to hide and even attach itself to other ones, and yes multiplies real easily IME .. but not sure that was was referred to is one of those (see my other posts for a possible ID

Albert

Yes or when the light is off I see it. the shell looks similar to that Pomacea bridgesii, but it doesn't have feelers, but i couldn't find a pick of the coloration of the one i have =\. so tricky. I should have caught it and then took a pic!

My stomatella snail hides once the light goes on. Not saying that's what it is, but just they have similar behavior. It's cool whatever it is :happy:

Deleted User 3
My stomatella snail hides once the light goes on. Not saying that's what it is, but just they have similar behavior. It's cool whatever it is :happy:

I love it because it has pink dots :D.

Just did a partial WC. Got the siphon to work... and then proceeded to spill on the floor :P I see the string/web things from the tubes coming out now! Must be worms or something spittin their webs to catch particles. Cooooooooooooooooooooool. Now i'll retest my levels tonight and then tuesday hopefully my cuc will be here, or wednesday to clean up the stupid diatoms thats making everything look dirty :P Mr.A was right, DIRTTYYY i hate it.. it's annoying... lol. I also cleaned the tank to get the salt creep off (didn't have much), and used the mag to clean the sides, tis all shiny now.. except the water.. and the diatom mess... :huh:

albertthiel

Yes I agree once they are in the tank the will more than likely disappear but you may be able to see them at night but use a red light so you do not scare them and chase them back into hiding. At that time at night you may be able to see better what they really look like and ID it.

Some can indeed be hard to identify ...

Albert

Yes or when the light is off I see it. the shell looks similar to that Pomacea bridgesii, but it doesn't have feelers, but i couldn't find a pick of the coloration of the one i have =\. so tricky. I should have caught it and then took a pic!

Is this what yours looks like .. this is a Stomatella species ...

stomatellasnail.png

Albert

Archived