Deleted User 3

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 3
Let it cycle.

what? Did i not say that?

Very nice job on the scape. :)

:D Thanks! It's my 1st go at it, it took me about 5 secs... i might build up the left side's arch a bit more with the LR im getting. :D

Just don't knock if over while you're fiddling with it. I had one scape come together like magic, then I knocked it over when fiddling with it and couldn't recreate it. :(

Jacob042426

i know of a led light setup that you can do in toe hood you have for around $40 if your curious. very little diy would be needed and you can keep the current light you have.

Deleted User 3
Just don't knock if over while you're fiddling with it. I had one scape come together like magic, then I knocked it over when fiddling with it and couldn't recreate it. :(

I know i'm worried about when i put the other rock in and the water... I should glue it.. it's sooo fragile too.

i know of a led light setup that you can do in toe hood you have for around $40 if your curious. very little diy would be needed and you can keep the current light you have.

Um, no thanks I'm on a limited budget and am fine with what I have for now...

Deleted User 3

YES one day! >.< Sorry i'm a little impatient, extremely nervous too haha. I don't wanna screw it up! :P So I think ill mix the salt water today... ahh scary.

I think im going to put in about 4 gallons now, with salt and take the filter media out and use my HOB filter for water movement til tomorrow... sounds good? yes no? I don't have a power head.

TeflonTomDosh
YES one day! >.< Sorry i'm a little impatient, extremely nervous too haha. I don't wanna screw it up! :P So I think ill mix the salt water today... ahh scary.

I think im going to put in about 4 gallons now, with salt and take the filter media out and use my HOB filter for water movement til tomorrow... sounds good? yes no? I don't have a power head.

You want to mix the water before you put it in the tank. I powerhead of some type is preferred for that. So, go get one, then you can put some damn fish in this thing already.

Deleted User 3
You want to mix the water before you put it in the tank. I powerhead of some type is preferred for that. So, go get one, then you can put some damn fish in this thing already.

No i can't put fish in this this already... It will have to cycle for like a month... I was told twice by 2 different people to premix 12-24 hrs before i put the water in the tank with the live rock, i'm not going to buy a power head for this... I was told I cant stir it myself...

Deleted User 3

TIS the beginning! :) Put my 1st params in my siggy. Got my LR, put it in, made a cool scape, someone gave me a frag (German Blue Montipora Digitata) he said just try it and if it doesn't work then oh well since it was free! Since the rock was from an established tank, I have a sponge hitch hiker, and a bristle worm.. and some more foreign things. I can't see them now with my dry rock on top. i probably have like 20 lbs of rock in there but it's awesome scape.

248192_370829882966575_2011425890_n.jpg left side close up

303405_370829996299897_100001186992812_952258_1519538295_n.jpg whole tank front

532827_370830059633224_1054319232_n.jpg Left frnot side close up

524902_370830112966552_965637446_n.jpg right front close up

It'll all be easier to see tomorrow, its not too cloudy, not like some i've seen :D/

No i can't put fish in this this already... It will have to cycle for like a month... I was told twice by 2 different people to premix 12-24 hrs before i put the water in the tank with the live rock, i'm not going to buy a power head for this... I was told I cant stir it myself...

Sounds like 2 different people didn't know what they were talking about. There was a thread about this yesterday I think....(?). Use a power head to effectively mix the salt.Also, a good rule of thumb is a minimum of 4 hours to mix salt, and as soon as oh is matching you can add it. No need to wait 24 hours. Unless you have no life and can sit next to your bucket all day getting pruny, it won't mix. Think of adding sugar to coffee. It will soak in most, but the little bit at the bottom won't mix. A power head also aerates the water so that 1) fish and coral will live 2) algae won't grow as easily 3) ph will be up to par.

Speaking of the coffee, you will also need a heater to bring it up to temp for water changes( some people say you don't, but I'd you ever need to do a large water change, you'll be kicking yourself in the ass for not spending the 10 bucks on a cheapo heater. The heater also helps dissolve the salt. ( any form of energy will). Amazon sells an mj400 for somthing real cheap. I think mine last year was 13 bucks, and it helps a lot. You can use it as a power head or a really cheap and low flow return pump which is nice. Come with addon ####, but I never used any of it. *hint, the power head is loud for mixing water, the return pump choice is almost 100% silent*

Congrats on the live rock, it's looking good

This is looking good so far! I see that you've planned this out to be a FOWLR, but I don't think it will be too long before the coral bug bites you and you get hooked. B)

This is looking good so far! I see that you've planned this out to be a FOWLR, but I don't think it will be too long before the coral bug bites you and you get hooked. B)

I give it 2 weeks after her clownfish arrives minimum. No one can resist coral in a salt tank. ATLEAST not a small tank.

Deleted User 3
Sounds like 2 different people didn't know what they were talking about. There was a thread about this yesterday I think....(?). Use a power head to effectively mix the salt.Also, a good rule of thumb is a minimum of 4 hours to mix salt, and as soon as oh is matching you can add it. No need to wait 24 hours. Unless you have no life and can sit next to your bucket all day getting pruny, it won't mix. Think of adding sugar to coffee. It will soak in most, but the little bit at the bottom won't mix. A power head also aerates the water so that 1) fish and coral will live 2) algae won't grow as easily 3) ph will be up to par.

Speaking of the coffee, you will also need a heater to bring it up to temp for water changes( some people say you don't, but I'd you ever need to do a large water change, you'll be kicking yourself in the ass for not spending the 10 bucks on a cheapo heater. The heater also helps dissolve the salt. ( any form of energy will). Amazon sells an mj400 for somthing real cheap. I think mine last year was 13 bucks, and it helps a lot. You can use it as a power head or a really cheap and low flow return pump which is nice. Come with addon ####, but I never used any of it. *hint, the power head is loud for mixing water, the return pump choice is almost 100% silent*

Congrats on the live rock, it's looking good

I used a friends power head, and my heater from my tank.... ill just take it out for the time i need to do a water change, doesnt seem to take too long to heat up to par or close enough. & my filter is quiet i found out i have to fill the chamber first! and then voila it worked. ! :P Eventually ill get a walmart heater for the water changes, and maybe a power head, i dont know yet. I just stirred it every so often and it seemed like all the salt was dissolved esp since it was 78 degrees in the bucket. Also, this is just my initial water change... so i dont have to worry about fish or coral staying alive really... until I get some.ph is 8, is that bad? And yes i waited 5 hrs actually about 6. I read to do that. So when i WC i'll just make it before work and put the PH & the heater in and let it go to work lol. & thank you! I have um asterina starfish, and some white tiny ones, and some tube looking things on the rock.

I give it 2 weeks after her clownfish arrives minimum. No one can resist coral in a salt tank. ATLEAST not a small tank.

I think this lil frag i got is fine .. lol. I dont want clutter. the rock is a lot already! :P Plus i dont have a ton of extra spare cash laying around. If it was free...

Deleted User 3
The white tubes are most likely feather dusters.

Seems like you are off to a nice start :)

Whoo hoo! We'll see what happens! I'm hoping since it was from an established tank that ill have a softer cycle so my critters don't die! :)

Deleted User 3
That's what I did. I used all well established rock for my first tank and I had pretty much no cycle.

cool i'm hoping i'll be the same way. My beginning params aren't too bad. but im sure they'll get worse. haha. I might test tomorrow.. the ammonia is between 0 and .25. its hard to tell on them tests.

:happydance:

Woohooo...congrats!!!! Looks GREAT too!!!! I love the swim through on the right side :)

Yep...I predict you'll have a tank stocked with coral too, before long :happy:

When you go to your LFS...look for small pieces of coral to add in. For instance, this last Friday I bought some amazing green cloves for only .50 a piece. I'm sure your LFS might have some stray bits of coral laying around. That's what these were :)

thegambler26

Why are you doing a water change? It sounds to me like your tank is still cycling unless I missed something. Changing water during your cycle is just gonna make it take longer

Deleted User 3
Why are you doing a water change? It sounds to me like your tank is still cycling unless I missed something. Changing water during your cycle is just gonna make it take longer

Reread..all posts., I'm not.

:happydance:

Woohooo...congrats!!!! Looks GREAT too!!!! I love the swim through on the right side :)

Yep...I predict you'll have a tank stocked with coral too, before long :happy:

When you go to your LFS...look for small pieces of coral to add in. For instance, this last Friday I bought some amazing green cloves for only .50 a piece. I'm sure your LFS might have some stray bits of coral laying around. That's what these were :)

Sweet you really think it looks ?

I love the scape except I can't see my bristle worm. Lol.

And I don't want coral, and my lfs doesn't have frags for sale, ever. It sucks. Meaning the store lol

Deleted User 3

Day 2 morning (yes i got up to see the tank. Nothing new :(, clear water tho!.)

550658_371025106280386_1192648029_n.jpg Front

196110_371025159613714_100001186992812_952684_541262455_n.jpg Feather duster? (theres a red thing where a rock meets sand)

540426_371025186280378_269489188_n.jpg

back of the scape, the cord is in the way, sorry!

Archived