SaltCritters.com

Tulips.

Deleted User 3

MrAnderson

looking good tulip! glad it all worked out.

Why are you doing a water change? It sounds to me like your tank is still cycling unless I missed something. Changing water during your cycle is just gonna make it take longer

just to correct, this is a common misconception. whenever we get a new batch of live rock, we do 100% water changes every 12-24 hrs to minimize die off, which is what actually worsens and extends cycles. ammonia is toxic even at relatively low concentrations, so if you let ammonia sit, it will kill stuff, which decays and makes more ammonia, and draws out cycles. the last batch of live rock i had air-shipped from indonesia (75 lbs) was out of the water and on the plane for 72 hrs. with our procedure our "cycle" was only a weekend long. we got the rock thursday night, put it in 4, 50 gal tubs. we changed 100% every day, by monday no ammonia... and no ammonia means no nitrates.... and nicely preserved live rock as nature made it, right off the reef.

our intention is to preserve bacterial populations to as close as they are represented in nature, so for our purposes this works well.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 3
looking good tulip! glad it all worked out.

just to correct, this is a common misconception. whenever we get a new batch of live rock, we do 100% water changes every 12-24 hrs to minimize die off, which is what actually worsens and extends cycles. ammonia is toxic even at relatively low concentrations, so if you let ammonia sit, it will kill stuff, which decays and makes more ammonia, and draws out cycles. the last batch of live rock i had air-shipped from indonesia (75 lbs) was out of the water and on the plane for 72 hrs. with our procedure our "cycle" was only a weekend long. we got the rock thursday night, put it in 4, 50 gal tubs. we changed 100% every day, by monday no ammonia... and no ammonia means no nitrates.... and nicely preserved live rock as nature made it, right off the reef.

our intention is to preserve bacterial populations to as close as they are represented in nature, so for our purposes this works well.

:) I haven't had any numbers yet come up, i think because it was in water directly from someones tank locally to me, so it didn't have time to die really. We will see, the guy i got the rock from says his did the same thing, had no cycle but then had a diatom bloom he added a cuc and voila he's good. So :)

Deleted User 3
sounds about right

I'm assuming that's what ill have. I didn't even get my own personal sandstorm like someone said I would :( It was cloudy but not where you couldn't see, til this morning (or it happened while i was sleeping). borrringg lol. My flow seems alright without a powerhead. Stuff moves at the bottom opposite side, but it's not strong. Might need to upgrade that soon. And am looking at better cheaper lighting for an upgrade there too cuz i know this bulb is old.

And am looking at better cheaper lighting for an upgrade there too cuz i know this bulb is old.

Excellent. The Monti will require a lot of light.

I really think you need to rethink some things.

he said just try it and if it doesn't work then oh well since it was free!

That was an extremely irresponsible statement for him to make. The Monti is a living animal that really deserves the best care possible. Just because it was free does not negate the responsibility that he's placed on you. Please don't let his questionable ethics cloud your judgement.

Deleted User 3
Excellent. The Monti will require a lot of light.

I am looking into getting a different kelvin lighting system for my tank

I really think you need to rethink some things. What things? I did everything right by all the statements people gave me? I reread them before I did something

That was an extremely irresponsible statement for him to make. The Monti is a living animal that really deserves the best care possible. Just because it was free does not negate the responsibility that he's placed on you. Please don't let his questionable ethics cloud your judgement.

It was broke off, he said it broke off a million times and he was just done with it. no one wanted it at the meeting, so If someone wants it here they can pay shipping and supplies to ship and they can have it, it was about to die anyway he said because it kept getting knocked over and he was sick of it breaking off.

Higher or lower kelvin doe not dictate the intensity of the light, simply the color temperature.

Deleted User 3
Higher or lower kelvin doe not dictate the intensity of the light, simply the color temperature.

Well a better one, I'm just looking around. Otherwise ill give it to the LFS.

When I indicated that I felt you needed to rethink some things, I was referring to the monti.

It was broke off, he said it broke off a million times and he was just done with it. no one wanted it at the meeting, so If someone wants it here they can pay shipping and supplies to ship and they can have it, it was about to die anyway he said because it kept getting knocked over and he was sick of it breaking off.

Our Holand Lop Rabbit was discarded by someone on a construction site, and was found being pecked at by Magpies.

The fact that our rabbit was "garbage" to someone else does not negate the responsibility we took in bringing it into our home.

I fail to see how your Monti is any different. Please don't let his casual attitude towards its life colour your own.

Deleted User 3
When I indicated that I felt you needed to rethink some things, I was referring to the monti.

Our Holand Lop Rabbit was discarded by someone on a construction site, and was found being pecked at by Magpies.

The fact that our rabbit was "garbage" to someone else does not negate the responsibility we took in bringing it into our home.

I fail to see how your Monti is any different. Please don't let his casual attitude towards its life colour your own.

He just gave it to me. It's not like I thought about it, he said it was just going to be destroyed anyway. Why are you giving me hell about it? IM not the one who wanted it it was basically forced upon me... I just met him to pick up some rock and he threw it in. I didn't buy it, I didn't claim responsibility as i didn't ask for it. I'm not trying to be rude, but really? It was in two peices already, its better than being thrown down the toilet like he was going to do?

jedimasterben

Moving on.....

If you would like to keep that piece of coral, you'll need two things: better lighting and better flow.

You'll need a powerhead, a Koralia Nano 425 would fit the bill and is very tiny and inexpensive at $30.

For lighting, on a 10g you could do T5 lighting for not a lot of money as the fixtures and bulbs are small and cheaper, but you'll need to get at least a 2 bulb system, and would run you right around $100.

You'll also need to keep tabs on water conditions, including calcium and alkalinity, if you plan on keeping it and getting more coral. It makes saltwater tanks a lot more difficult to maintain, but damnit it's addicting! :)

He just gave it to me. It's not like I thought about it, he said it was just going to be destroyed anyway. Why are you giving me hell about it? IM not the one who wanted it it was basically forced upon me... I just met him to pick up some rock and he threw it in. I didn't buy it, I didn't claim responsibility as i didn't ask for it. I'm not trying to be rude, but really? It was in two peices already, its better than being thrown down the toilet like he was going to do?

I'm not giving you hell. I'm just asking you to carefully consider the requirements of the life you add to your tank, that you take responsibility for that life, and that you do not allow the casual attitude of others to colour your perception. I do not think that is too lofty an ambition for you, but maybe I'm wrong and I think too highly of your potential and abilities?

No. I think you've done quite well so far. Just maintain your integrity and accept responsibility for your actions.

I think I said a very similar thing to my 19-year-old son last night. It's the mom in me. ;)

Day 2 morning (yes i got up to see the tank. Nothing new :(, clear water tho!.)

550658_371025106280386_1192648029_n.jpg Front

Love it! Looks really nice -- and yes, that was a red feather duster, I believe. I have lots as hitchhikers, one of which is inside a clam shell -- looks like the empty shell is sticking out its tongue!

Deleted User 3
Moving on.....

If you would like to keep that piece of coral, you'll need two things: better lighting and better flow.

You'll need a powerhead, a Koralia Nano 425 would fit the bill and is very tiny and inexpensive at $30.

For lighting, on a 10g you could do T5 lighting for not a lot of money as the fixtures and bulbs are small and cheaper, but you'll need to get at least a 2 bulb system, and would run you right around $100.

You'll also need to keep tabs on water conditions, including calcium and alkalinity, if you plan on keeping it and getting more coral. It makes saltwater tanks a lot more difficult to maintain, but damnit it's addicting! :)

I didn't want a coral in the first place lol. I'm looking into LED lighting, ive heard good things about them, i might be able to DIY it.

Love it! Looks really nice -- and yes, that was a red feather duster, I believe. I have lots as hitchhikers, one of which is inside a clam shell -- looks like the empty shell is sticking out its tongue!

Thank you! :D and coool. I have some white tube like things, and... asterinas, and mini brittles... so far. lol. and haha funny ! :)

I'm not giving you hell. I'm just asking you to carefully consider the requirements of the life you add to your tank, that you take responsibility for that life, and that you do not allow the casual attitude of others to colour your perception. I do not think that is too lofty an ambition for you, but maybe I'm wrong and I think too highly of your potential and abilities?

No. I think you've done quite well so far. Just maintain your integrity and accept responsibility for your actions.

I think I said a very similar thing to my 19-year-old son last night. It's the mom in me. ;)

I know it's a life but it was barely alive when i got it! It's polyps are coming out now so it likes me! :) If i can atleast make it survive then i'll work on making it thrive. If it looks to not be doing good i'll take it to the LFS and he can have it in trade for something! :)

jedimasterben
I didn't want a coral in the first place lol. I'm looking into LED lighting, ive heard good things about them, i might be able to DIY it.

You can, and it is both simple and incredibly daunting at the same time. If you need any help with it, please feel free to ask, I have done large amounts of research on LEDs and can make a good recommendation for you. Over such a small tank, it would be very, very simple.

Deleted User 3
You can, and it is both simple and incredibly daunting at the same time. If you need any help with it, please feel free to ask, I have done large amounts of research on LEDs and can make a good recommendation for you. Over such a small tank, it would be very, very simple.

I'll message you privately, i have a couple things i'd like to do with it :) (the led idea)

Sweet you really think it looks ?

I love the scape except I can't see my bristle worm. Lol.

And I don't want coral, and my lfs doesn't have frags for sale, ever. It sucks. Meaning the store lol

Yep...and nice and clear now too!

If you ever decide you want coral...I, and I'm sure others, can send you cheap frags :)

Deleted User 3
Yep...and nice and clear now too!

If you ever decide you want coral...I, and I'm sure others, can send you cheap frags :)

Yess clear! Didn't take long, it's CRYSTAL clear now. :) And hmm.. STOP TEMPTING ME lol.

Deleted User 3

My lil monties must be happier because before their polyps were completely closed and now slowly but surely they're coming out.

Deleted User 3
Sorry :flower:

For meeeeeee? :wub:

Aww. Mr. Monti guy well both frags of them, have all their polyps out... which online says means they're happy. Awww happy guys! :D

& I attached a cool pic of the rock + the asterina! :D and the baby bristle worm (theres a bigger one in there somewhere but its hiding all the time). also some floppin around thing in the crevice where the worm is 'pointing', i dont know what it is.

540004_371427859573444_1144026916_n.jpg

532815_371427889573441_1118797847_n.jpg

This is a feather duster worm, just had to throw that in. I have tons of them :D

Jacob042426
I'll message you privately, i have a couple things i'd like to do with it :) (the led idea)

if you need help with ebay leds, just ask me. ;)

Deleted User 3

Hm.. found a.. um... amphipod.. MAYBE.. i swear it's a shrimp but they kinna look similar.. and i have about 3 or 4 of them.. so far...the dang things are NOT photogenic!

hey tulipgirl, i have one piece of advice, try to find your local reefers club, It will help out immensely if you can find someone local to you for questions, help, new fish, new coral and free stuff, i.e. I had a great local guy give me hundreds of dollars worth of free coral and show me his tank/give me pointers and it was great! It can really help out a tank on a shoestring budget! josh p.s. Thanks to engineeronh20 and mgarden!

Hm.. found a.. um... amphipod.. MAYBE.. i swear it's a shrimp but they kinna look similar.. and i have about 3 or 4 of them.. so far...the dang things are NOT photogenic!

I have some so big that when they first molted, I thought I had tons of shrimp in the tank. I don't see as many now as I used to, and the hitchhiking pistol shrimp hasn't clicked in a few weeks now, so it must be gone, too.

Archived