Cultivated Reef

Tulips.

Deleted User 3

Hm.. found a.. um... amphipod.. MAYBE.. i swear it's a shrimp but they kinna look similar.. and i have about 3 or 4 of them.. so far...the dang things are NOT photogenic!

I've never had any problems with them. They will be part of your cleanup crew..the ugly/freaky looking part :lol:

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 3
I've never had any problems with them. They will be part of your cleanup crew..the ugly/freaky looking part :lol:

Yeah i read they're good guys. They were eating stuff too when i watched.

hey tulipgirl, i have one piece of advice, try to find your local reefers club, It will help out immensely if you can find someone local to you for questions, help, new fish, new coral and free stuff, i.e. I had a great local guy give me hundreds of dollars worth of free coral and show me his tank/give me pointers and it was great! It can really help out a tank on a shoestring budget! josh p.s. Thanks to engineeronh20 and mgarden!

I already have. It's like 2 hrs away from me, thats as local as it gets lol

Deleted User 3

My monti is growing... :D and his polyps are all whoo hoo. If anyone is familiar with my tank, it has a flip up lid in 1/3 of the lid in front, middle is plexiglass where the light goes, and back is a bit cutout for the equip., well i flipped the front lip up, and placed the light on there, it seems to give better lightning to the monti & everything, not as many dark places.

468202_372379379478292_58729226_o.jpg

Here it is with the adjusting I did with the light... better right?? ^^

And below, is my DIY moonlights... just for an hour or 2 at night when i feel like it dont yell at me :P .. I use my black light.. in my lamp and put it on there.. it really does remind me of the moon...

476323_372011319515098_1884100569_o.jpg

I resisted the urge to check params today.. and will check next week sometime...

Deleted User 3
so crispy clean looking!

but not for long!!

Oh i'm pretty OCD... i'm sure it will be so crispy clean later. :P atleast this is how everything else goes besides my car >< my car = junk drawer usually.. .its clean now.. lol

There is a freaky huge amphipod that lives in my fuge. Scared the crap out of me when I trimmed my cheato one day.

Deleted User 3
There is a freaky huge amphipod that lives in my fuge. Scared the crap out of me when I trimmed my cheato one day.

Creepy! They dont freak me out too much. the bristle worm/fire worm does... lol

Nano sapiens
Creepy! They dont freak me out too much. the bristle worm/fire worm does... lol

You'd freak at my gaggle of 3" long bristleworms. They remind me of mini versions of those desert worms in Dune, just underwater.

Deleted User 3

YUCK! Gross.. i dont mind the little ones... but the big ones.. ugh. I also done like brittle stars (the big ones), or the um.. they look like brittle stars.. oh serpent stars.. or arrow crabs... or sea spiders... blech.. gross.

albertthiel

The slower you go in adding livestock the better off you will be and as a recommendation that worked for me plan the layout well in advance and keep going over it until you are really comfortable with it as changing it afterwards is a real pain and is time consuming and if you are not careful will cost you extra money too as in the process of moving things around you may damage some of the corals or whatever else you put in the tank.

And as you already know make sure all your levels are where they should be and then add live stock slowly one at a time and wait to add more till the tank re-stabilizes ... FWIW ...

Albert

Follow the funny stories of OOP the Clown Trigger at:

http://www.athiel.com/lib5/oop.htm#1

oop.gif

All I have right now is the sand in

Eventually I'm putting in the saltwater & dry rock (bulkreefsupply.com) plus a couple peices of live rock from a friends tank when it all comes.

My livestock plan is:

CUC (reefcleaners.com)

2 false clown

1 peppermint shrimp (gonna call him pepe le pierre cuz he'll be fancy).

No corals or anything for now. I have a German Blue Monti in there that i was given.. we'll see if he survives in my crappy lighting i have ATM.

Equipment-

Whisper Power Filter w/Carbon & sponge infront

75w Jager Heater

(2) Thermometers on each side, just to be safe! Ha ha.

1 Light with hood (full spec light, I don't know the exact type)

1 Test kit

1 Bucket (5g)

1 gravel cleaner/water siphon

I also am going to use Instant Ocean salt.

floating thermometer

8 lbs dry brs eco reef saver

8lbs live rock

SEE further posts for updates :) Started with water & rock 6/3

Deleted User 3
The slower you go in adding livestock the better off you will be and as a recommendation that worked for me plan the layout well in advance and keep going over it until you are really comfortable with it as changing it afterwards is a real pain and is time consuming and if you are not careful will cost you extra money too as in the process of moving things around you may damage some of the corals or whatever else you put in the tank.

And as you already know make sure all your levels are where they should be and then add live stock slowly one at a time and wait to add more till the tank re-stabilizes ... FWIW ...

Albert

Follow the funny stories of OOP the Clown Trigger at:

oop.gif

Well hello Mr. Albert Thiel :) Thank you, yes I am going slow. In a month or so I'm going to add my CUC, then sometime after that (depending on my levels) I will add my pair of clowns.. then test my levels after that for a while (a month maybe) and if they're fine, then add my shrimp. Slowly but surely wins the race! :) It helps having hitch hikers to fill the need for live critters! :) Thank you for coming to my thread!

albertthiel

:) I guess you like sci-fi ... I read most of the Dune books too. Love them until they started coming out with prequels etc ... not as good as the originals IMHO

Albert

OOP the Clown Trigger Funny Stories

oop.gif

You'd freak at my gaggle of 3" long bristleworms. They remind me of mini versions of those desert worms in Dune, just underwater.
Deleted User 3
My red brittle star is one of my favorite critters in my tank lol

Haha. Anything resembling a spider creeps me out. I have arachnephobia basically.. lol and i'm afraid of bees... and i hateeeeeeee house centipedes... and earwigs...

Haha. Anything resembling a spider creeps me out. I have arachnephobia basically.. lol and i'm afraid of bees... and i hateeeeeeee house centipedes... and earwigs...

You wouldn't like pom pom crabs either then. They constantly remind me of spiders!!!!! Now maybe the ones that actually carry the poms would seem less threatening and more cute :lol: Mine (pom-less) look just like spiders! I still love them though :)

Your tank is looking fabulous. I love the pink/purple hue that your lighting is giving off. Very nice rockscape and yes...very clean :happy:

MrAnderson
Oh i'm pretty OCD... i'm sure it will be so crispy clean later. :P atleast this is how everything else goes besides my car >< my car = junk drawer usually.. .its clean now.. lol

i meant diatoms - you can scrub but you can't hide! they gonna find joo!

Yep...there's no getting around them. They go away before too long though :)

Deleted User 3
You wouldn't like pom pom crabs either then. They constantly remind me of spiders!!!!! Now maybe the ones that actually carry the poms would seem less threatening and more cute :lol: Mine (pom-less) look just like spiders! I still love them though :)

Your tank is looking fabulous. I love the pink/purple hue that your lighting is giving off. Very nice rockscape and yes...very clean :happy:

Thank you gena :) That means a lot! I love it also, i dont know why it's so pinky/purply but it is. It's cool. Thank you for the scape comment... i still like it. I'm not 100% on the left side yet, but i think it's good with the hidden holes... there are 'caves' and such.

& yes im a master cleaner. I clean it like everyday haha. :) Im hoping to keep it that way!

Yes, temporarily. :) until I get my cuc! so i'll be annoyed for a bit til they get here and get their asses to work :P

Here it is with the adjusting I did with the light... better right?? ^^

That looks great -- seriously, I really like the rock scape!

And below, is my DIY moonlights... just for an hour or 2 at night when i feel like it dont yell at me :P .. I use my black light.. in my lamp and put it on there.. it really does remind me of the moon...

Someone who knows more about lighting might get why yelling should occur, but I think that looks really cool. Seems like its more light than my stock moonlight LEDs.

Deleted User 3
That looks great -- seriously, I really like the rock scape!

Someone who knows more about lighting might get why yelling should occur, but I think that looks really cool. Seems like its more light than my stock moonlight LEDs.

Eeeeee yay! :D I'm so glad everyone likes my scape! This one i spent a bit more time on, probably 5-10 minutes? I just kind of set things in, looked, adjusted.. was careful not to touch a fireworm/bristle worm.. and i would wiggle the rock to see if its really loose, if it stuck i kept it, then if it was loose i'd move it around... you only see 2 live rock in the front but i have a super purple one in the back and a cool one that looks like a mini broken ship :D It's cooooool.

And yeah, but it's kind of 'for looks' for the black light, but after it warms up it gets a niceeeee hue to it, it looks identical to me as a moon on water with the light in a shallow pool. It's sooo coool. I'm surprised it doesn't make the white things stick out though, since it's a black light?

Rock scaping is one of my least favorite things to do. I always just throw them in and if they don't wiggle too much, that's how it stays :lol: I never get very creative with my scapes. My goal is to always make it look like one giant rock, even though it's several small/medium size pieces.

Deleted User 3
Rock scaping is one of my least favorite things to do. I always just throw them in and if they don't wiggle too much, that's how it stays :lol: I never get very creative with my scapes. My goal is to always make it look like one giant rock, even though it's several small/medium size pieces.

Basically i just threw mine in, i just looked to make sur ei had some holes and voila lol.

I have levels today. :D check the siggy. i updated. the ammonia is SOO hard to read because it's not really any of the colors, but it wasn't the 0 ... so it was inbetween the 1st number and 2nd. so .25-.5.

Deleted User 3
yay...ammonia!!!! I'm still waiting for something to show up in my tank.

Yeah i have some ammonia, and some nitrate.. but NO nitrite, im 100 pos of that lol.. i dont know how i skipped that level? lol. Well i put food in there, to start it because otherwise it'd start say like 3 weeks from now, and then id have to wait foreverrrr. I can wait a while, just not forever

Archived