inTank Media Baskets

Tulips.

Deleted User 3

albertthiel
No, no... i can't really count all the snails. Ammonia is I think 0, no skimmer.

Difficult to know why the change then .... check again in the morning and let's see what it is then. If it is around 7.8 in the AM then things are normal ... if however it is 8.4 or thereabouts I guess you will need to do some testing and let us know what you find as there has to be a reason for that fluctuation ... especially if you did not change anything in the tank including filtration material, floss or added some additive that may have affected the pH.

Albert

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 3
Difficult to know why the change then .... check again in the morning and let's see what it is then. If it is around 7.8 in the AM then things are normal ... if however it is 8.4 or thereabouts I guess you will need to do some testing and let us know what you find as there has to be a reason for that fluctuation ... especially if you did not change anything in the tank including filtration material, floss or added some additive that may have affected the pH.

Albert

Nothing new =\. Im sure itll be fine tomorrow.

Deleted User 3

Sorry, I don't have a picture, but need ID... They move too fast.. ill give a detailed description...

They're worms I think..

Reddish pink in color.

Come out of holes in a rock

they dont have a pointy end like bristle worms

they have a flat end.. like a totally round tube with a cut off end... know what I mean?

I've seen them twice at night when i spy... but can't get a pic they're too fast.. never all the way out of the hole though... and they're thicker than the spaghetti worm things and pinkish reddish color..

Thanks ! :D

Also i can tell you what it isn't, it's not a bristle worm, or a vermitid snail or a spaghetti worm.Doesn't look like peanut worms from what I've been looking at.

albertthiel

Could be a flatworm but without a picture it is hard to tell of course

Here is a link for images.google for saltwater flatworms that may allow you to identify what it is. If not try to post a picture but it's probably one that is hard to get one of. You can use a flashlight with a red piece of plastic on the lens so it does not get away and hide and you may be able to get a pic ...

http://images.google.com/search?tbm=isch&a...0.0.ksqKNdN6bqM

and here is another link :

http://images.google.com/search?tbm=isch&a...401&bih=984

The links I gave show lots and lots of worms and similar types that crawl in and out of rocks. Maybe that helps you finding what it is

Albert

Sorry, I don't have a picture, but need ID... They move too fast.. ill give a detailed description...

They're worms I think..

Reddish pink in color.

Come out of holes in a rock

they dont have a pointy end like bristle worms

they have a flat end.. like a totally round tube with a cut off end... know what I mean?

I've seen them twice at night when i spy... but can't get a pic they're too fast.. never all the way out of the hole though... and they're thicker than the spaghetti worm things and pinkish reddish color..

Thanks ! :D

Also i can tell you what it isn't, it's not a bristle worm, or a vermitid snail or a spaghetti worm.Doesn't look like peanut worms from what I've been looking at.

Deleted User 3

Its not flat, Albert. It has the same shape as the 'tentacles' the spaghetti worm throw out. Completely round and long, with the end being flat.. like say you roll playdough into a long length but round width creature and cut off the ends, and they're flat... like this [________] <---. thats what it looks like. And it's reddish pink. Imagine... an anemone tentacle... but with a blunt end. :)

albertthiel
Its not flat, Albert. It has the same shape as the 'tentacles' the spaghetti worm throw out. Completely round and long, with the end being flat.. like say you roll playdough into a long length but round width creature and cut off the ends, and they're flat... like this [________] <---. thats what it looks like. And it's reddish pink. Imagine... an anemone tentacle... but with a blunt end. :)

Any way to get a picture ? Even though your description is quite complete it is still difficult to figure out what it may be without seeing it ... Is it attached to anything or just moving around freely ? Do you see it all the time or only at night ? but as I said a pic would be best

Nothing found on those links I sent you ?

Albert

Actually, could be a kind of bristle worm -- also a eunicid worm (heck, they may be different names for the same creature). There are many different shapes to all the worms, even in the same family, so the variation you're talking about doesn't mean it isn't a bristle. I have the same in my tank -- in fact, the worm seems to burrow/live in holes in the rock, I've seen it cleaning out space under the rock, but if I move and it sees me, then it bolts. I haven't seen that particular type of worm in a while. There will be lots of interesting changes as the tank matures into what it will be in your particular set up. That's one of the things I find so interesting! Like gardening, we can each buy the same plant, but how it grows, whether it survives or thrives, will be a matter of local conditions and the individual gardener. [sorry, didn't mean to get preachy there -- but this is one of the things that took me about 6 months to really understand, and once I did, I relaxed quite a bit about what happened day to day in the tank :)]

Deleted User 3
Any way to get a picture ? Even though your description is quite complete it is still difficult to figure out what it may be without seeing it ... Is it attached to anything or just moving around freely ? Do you see it all the time or only at night ? but as I said a pic would be best

Nothing found on those links I sent you ?

Albert

No I'm not fast enough to get a picture. Its only at night, when i shine on it with my flash light it dissapears into a hole in the live rock about the same size as it is. Ive never seen it fully out yet. and no.

Actually, could be a kind of bristle worm -- also a eunicid worm (heck, they may be different names for the same creature). There are many different shapes to all the worms, even in the same family, so the variation you're talking about doesn't mean it isn't a bristle. I have the same in my tank -- in fact, the worm seems to burrow/live in holes in the rock, I've seen it cleaning out space under the rock, but if I move and it sees me, then it bolts. I haven't seen that particular type of worm in a while. There will be lots of interesting changes as the tank matures into what it will be in your particular set up. That's one of the things I find so interesting! Like gardening, we can each buy the same plant, but how it grows, whether it survives or thrives, will be a matter of local conditions and the individual gardener. [sorry, didn't mean to get preachy there -- but this is one of the things that took me about 6 months to really understand, and once I did, I relaxed quite a bit about what happened day to day in the tank :)]

its completely smooth, so didn't seem like a bristle worm.. since it's in a hole in the live rock I can't tell if it has a structure it goes into or not. I haven't seen it out of the hole yet, just about 1" out. and it's ONLY at night, i never see it during the day. I'm not at all stressed out about anything, why do people keep thinking that. :lol:. I just want to know what everything is so i understand it and can tell others.

albertthiel
No I'm not fast enough to get a picture. Its only at night, when i shine on it with my flash light it dissapears into a hole in the live rock about the same size as it is. Ive never seen it fully out yet. and no.

its completely smooth, so didn't seem like a bristle worm.. since it's in a hole in the live rock I can't tell if it has a structure it goes into or not. I haven't seen it out of the hole yet, just about 1" out. and it's ONLY at night, i never see it during the day. I'm not at all stressed out about anything, why do people keep thinking that. :lol:. I just want to know what everything is so i understand it and can tell others.

This is a peanut worm ... does it look anything like this (different colors do exist)

peanutworm.png

Albert

Deleted User 3

Cleaned the tank, and a rock fell down, so rearranged a bit now i have 2 arches :D I also think i got electrocuted or stung by something :lol:. My 2 last fingers were tingly and sort of painful, after i grabbed and moved one rock.

481201_377555575627339_140013556_n.jpg

Rollermonkey

Sounds like a sting. If you'd gotten an electrical zap from stray voltage, it would have happened as soon as you touched the water.

...and now you know why they sell reef gloves.

Deleted User 3
Sounds like a sting. If you'd gotten an electrical zap from stray voltage, it would have happened as soon as you touched the water.

...and now you know why they sell reef gloves.

Yeah i figured. Ugh. Probably a stupid bristle worm or something lol. I need gloves! Was debating about doing and getting dishwashing gloves... but hopefully this is the last time i touch the rocks :P hate moving the scape around unwillingly. but i like it better now i think.. lol

Deleted User 3
Me, too!

Oh cool! yay me :)

I think the stuff ontop of the diatoms on the dead rock is bryopsis... been googling... ugh. need some turbos i guess. i dont wanna pay shipping tho! You'd think that the snails i got from reefcleaners.org would clean it but it's been like 4 days -5 days and its still there >< annoying.

Yeah i figured. Ugh. Probably a stupid bristle worm or something lol. I need gloves! Was debating about doing and getting dishwashing gloves... but hopefully this is the last time i touch the rocks :P hate moving the scape around unwillingly. but i like it better now i think.. lol

I never used gloves but recently started to but believe me, if you venture to corals, tey will appreciate it. ( I know you said fish only). Dish washing gloves (the thick yellow ones) are great for moving large amounts of huge rocks but IMO, they are hard to handle fine tuning of small rocks due to the water pressure making them "suck in" and suction to your hand.

A bit on the expensive side, nitrile gloves are the safest( no powders, hypoallergenic) and most durable gloves their are. I started with plain powder free rubber gloves and would go through 5 pairs for simple maintenance. My hands got so wet that there was no point of gloves at all. I have never ripped a pair of nitrile, and they fit like a second skin. (or dare I say LIKE A GLOVE).

Back to why I say corals will thank you for using gloves... If you do any normal people things, it takes an unbelievabley long time for residues to get of your hands, and by the time you do get rid of them, you now have a different kind. Eat a messy burger? Change your oil ( even 10 hours later)? Smoke a lil' shumthin', WASHED YOUR HANDS?!? All of these things will leave foreign substances on you hands that tend to dissipate into the water column. ( I used to wonder why my torch shrunk everything I put t hand in the tank, even on the other side away from it. That cigarette I had over 2+ hours before still had residue under my nails. ).

Bottom line, my experience makes me feel the need to tell you that if you ever decide to keep coral, rubber, or better yet nitrile gloves are invaluable to the little critters.

Yeah, I know that's long and pretty much a ramble with terrible spelling and grammar issues, but I'm on my phone and refuse to take 20 minutes to edit it. I hope you get the gist of what I was saying.

albertthiel
Oh cool! yay me :)

I think the stuff ontop of the diatoms on the dead rock is bryopsis... been googling... ugh. need some turbos i guess. i dont wanna pay shipping tho! You'd think that the snails i got from reefcleaners.org would clean it but it's been like 4 days -5 days and its still there >< annoying.

You should be able to suck the diatoms off the rocks with a small size acrylic piece of tubing, they should be easy to suck out ... when you do water changes use RO/DI as if you add more silicate to the water you will get more diatoms and not just on the rocks.

I do not think it is Bryopsis ... looks like brown diatoms to me ... Bryopsis is green and there are several species some of which are referred to as hair algae as some are real thin and do look like clusters of hair either in a few spots or in larger areas. Also most herbivores do not go for hair algae that much .... FWIW

Albert

Rollermonkey

^Totally agree with patback.

While I was in the Navy, a gal I knew went through a firing range course for work. She washed her hands before leaving the range and took a shower when she went home that day,

The next morning, she packed her suitcase and went to the airport to go home on vacation.

She got pulled into the airport police station when the swab on her luggage indicated the presence of gunpowder.

Now, with that knowledge, think about putting your hands in a tank where we are trying to keep out trace elements measured in micrograms to keep them from killing the life within...

Deleted User 3
I never used gloves but recently started to but believe me, if you venture to corals, tey will appreciate it. ( I know you said fish only). Dish washing gloves (the thick yellow ones) are great for moving large amounts of huge rocks but IMO, they are hard to handle fine tuning of small rocks due to the water pressure making them "suck in" and suction to your hand.

A bit on the expensive side, nitrile gloves are the safest( no powders, hypoallergenic) and most durable gloves their are. I started with plain powder free rubber gloves and would go through 5 pairs for simple maintenance. My hands got so wet that there was no point of gloves at all. I have never ripped a pair of nitrile, and they fit like a second skin. (or dare I say LIKE A GLOVE).

Back to why I say corals will thank you for using gloves... If you do any normal people things, it takes an unbelievabley long time for residues to get of your hands, and by the time you do get rid of them, you now have a different kind. Eat a messy burger? Change your oil ( even 10 hours later)? Smoke a lil' shumthin', WASHED YOUR HANDS?!? All of these things will leave foreign substances on you hands that tend to dissipate into the water column. ( I used to wonder why my torch shrunk everything I put t hand in the tank, even on the other side away from it. That cigarette I had over 2+ hours before still had residue under my nails. ).

Bottom line, my experience makes me feel the need to tell you that if you ever decide to keep coral, rubber, or better yet nitrile gloves are invaluable to the little critters.

Yeah, I know that's long and pretty much a ramble with terrible spelling and grammar issues, but I'm on my phone and refuse to take 20 minutes to edit it. I hope you get the gist of what I was saying.

Yeah... once i ever get coral when i upgrade I'll get those. but for now i hate smelling like the water :P so i'll get the elbow length thick things just to move stuff. And grooossss @ smoker :P. Thanks :)

^Totally agree.

While I was in the Navy, a gal I knew went through a firing range course for work. She washed her hands before leaving the range and took a shower when she went home that day,

The next morning, she packed her suitcase and went to the airport to go home on vacation.

She got pulled into the airport police station when the swab on her luggage indicated the presence of gunpowder.

Now, with that knowledge, think about putting your hands in a tank where we are trying to keep out trace elements measured in micrograms to keep them from killing the life within...

Yeah once I get fish i was going to get gloves. But with just snails eh. But i dont want to be stung again, feels like i stuck my finger in a socket :P feels fine now. Gloves it will be. I'll check the dollar tree place for them, whoot!

Deleted User 3
You should be able to suck the diatoms off the rocks with a small size acrylic piece of tubing, they should be easy to suck out ... when you do water changes use RO/DI as if you add more silicate to the water you will get more diatoms and not just on the rocks.

I do not think it is Bryopsis ... looks like brown diatoms to me ... Bryopsis is green and there are several species some of which are referred to as hair algae as some are real thin and do look like clusters of hair either in a few spots or in larger areas. Also most herbivores do not go for hair algae that much .... FWIW

Albert

Yeah i have diatoms too but I have this about 2-3cm tall green stuff ontop of it. looks like a little mini fern plant.

Yeah i have diatoms too but I have this about 2-3cm tall green stuff ontop of it. looks like a little mini fern plant.

Pic? May be a fern caulerpa. I had some, plucked it when it got big and it never grew back. I was told it would be a menace :P

Deleted User 3
Pic? May be a fern caulerpa. I had some, plucked it when it got big and it never grew back. I was told it would be a menace :P

I cant get the dang things off! lol. even with a sponge ! :P ill take a pic hold on. I have one of a hilarious in licking action florida cerith to share too :P

Here is the cerith...

556496_377671085615788_740783330_n.jpg

Here is it before it 'licks'

223830_377674335615463_899408843_n.jpg

Here is the algae junk. Youll have to click the pic.

Hair algae of some kind as there are several types.

Time IME for some good Clean Up Crew .... Here is a good Link for you where you will find a lot of CUC members

http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=22197

Albert

I have CUC.. lol. like 100 dwarf ceriths, 5 florida ceriths but only 4 of them are moving... one doesn't seem to want to... and like 4-5 nassarius vibex and the same amound of nerites. Can't get a turbo, too small of a tank and i have a red graciliara. Might borrow one tho if i can find someone local.

Deleted User 3
Pluck pluck pluck. Snails will take it down the rest of the way. In the mean time just watch your nutrients.

I added some food to watch the nassy's go nutzo >< sorry it was cheap entertainment haha. I dont have major levels but im thinkin phosphates from the dead rock maybe. how do I pluck it? lol theres no way i could get all of it. I need a turbo! :P for a day.

Although most will tell you know, I see no reason why a turbo can't be in a 10 gallon. Especially a fowlr. Just pinch small clumps with your fingers (tight since its so slippery when it's wet). Yeah yeah, that's what she said, whatever.... Make sure not to let any go in the water column. Maybe add some chaeto to suck up the extra nutrients the gha is taking up now, or do a few large water changes.

Archived