Cultivated Reef

Tulips.

Deleted User 3

Deleted User 3
Although most will tell you know, I see no reason why a turbo can't be in a 10 gallon. Especially a fowlr. Just pinch small clumps with your fingers (tight since its so slippery when it's wet). Yeah yeah, that's what she said, whatever.... Make sure not to let any go in the water column. Maybe add some chaeto to suck up the extra nutrients the gha is taking up now, or do a few large water changes.

I tried, it gets all over in the tank, i can't pinch it good enough, but it seems like it wasn't even making a difference...grr! lol... and the turbo will eat my macro :( i dont mind having one for a couple days, i can put the macro in another container or somethin. til the algae is basically gone, then give the turbo back. I dont think my LFS will let me borrow one even if they had one tho haha. The macro i have is a red gracilliara (sp?). its supposed to be decent. I had to 'hide' it because it was bleaching under my suck light.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 3

Well the florida cerith I thought was a gonner yesterday, is a gonner today. The others must have been eating at it too, its... insides fell out paritally. ill save the shell in case i get a hermit and it wants one. it smells baaaaaad lol. what do I do if one of the little ones dies? I'm never going to be able to tell... unless it's super obvious. or in the same spot for days. I'm going to try to wait a few days to test. Just to let everything do its work. Hopefully the snails will get off the SAND and go to the ROCK with the ALGAE on it ><

ooooh also. I have a new find. looks like the size of snail poop. exactly. shape and everything but it's pink & it swims... and it LOOOOOKS like there are maybe bristles on the sides of it? but it's SOO tiny, hard to tell. No way to get a pic. Can't even see it now.

Hmm -- I have a turbo and so far, it hasn't eaten my macro down to nothing. I still have halimeda, red grape caulerpa, and some new reddish, wiry looking stuff that's recently appeared. I did have a beautiful clump of red gracillaria (sp?) when I first got the rock and my hitchhiking red emerald ate it down to nothing!

You might also do a search in the pest management forum for how people use hydrogen peroxide. Of course, it involved taking the rock out!

I tried the peroxide method but so far algae is still alive on the rocks i tried.

Well, that plumb exhausts my expertise :huh:! I'd loan you my turbo, but it's a long mail trip there and back again :lol:!

albertthiel
I tried the peroxide method but so far algae is still alive on the rocks i tried.

Some hobbyists have tried lowering the pH for several days or raising it also for several days (as low as 7.6 and as high as 8.5) and report that it killed their hair algae but ... if you try this it is at your own risk as I do not endorse this method. Just wanted to let you know what some have done. Again this is FWIW

Albert

jedimasterben

I've probably got a couple of turbos left (my hermits think they're mighty tasty), if I can find any, I will send them your way, if you'd like.

Deleted User 3
I've probably got a couple of turbos left (my hermits think they're mighty tasty), if I can find any, I will send them your way, if you'd like.

Sure I just need one though, then if it decides to get to big or such i'll trade it off.

jedimasterben
Sure I just need one though, then if it decides to get to big or such i'll trade it off.

kk. Like I said, I'm not even sure if I have any left, haven't seen any alive in a while, but I'm sure they're there bulldozing around. :)

Deleted User 3
kk. Like I said, I'm not even sure if I have any left, haven't seen any alive in a while, but I'm sure they're there bulldozing around. :)

Cool! I really need a lawn mower. My lawn mowers are L A Z Y lol.

Deleted User 3

Here's a pic of my entire tank (stand and all). PS this is just your normal 10 gal walmart FW tank kit.. I just have the light in the front angled/ propped against the lid for the 'feeding' area in front thats why it looks weird. The monti prefers the light this way.

600426_378178605565036_1624089001_n.jpg

For behind the glass, i used my leopard bamboo placemats I never use. & duct tape. Pretty cool i'd say myself...

*Also. I just tested my tank... and had an idea. I tested the RO water & my tank water for nitrates... and the color is the same.... should I switch back to distilled? it's 50 cents more, but?

I've never used just distilled water so I can't speak for it but I'm currently using ro/di and its completely pure. I don't think distilled water will have nitrates though.

I like what you did with the stand, it looks much nicer =D

Deleted User 3
I've never used just distilled water so I can't speak for it but I'm currently using ro/di and its completely pure. I don't think distilled water will have nitrates though.

I like what you did with the stand, it looks much nicer =D

I use RO right now, not RODI as i can't buy it anywhere, and RO is cheaper than distilled so i figure i'd try it. I tested distilled and it was 0.. so idkwtf?

& thanks! :D I love safari prints .. <3

Well I would switch to distilled than since it has 0 nitrates and the ro water your using has a measurable amount but that's just me, I doubt it will cause any severe effects.

Deleted User 3
Well I would switch to distilled than since it has 0 nitrates and the ro water your using has a measurable amount but that's just me, I doubt it will cause any severe effects.

I just dont know why the RO would... i'ts UV'd and everything to kill bacteria... kinna makin me wonder...

Deleted User 3
:huh:

Nitrate is not bacteria...

lol I know that, but i thought with all the crap they do to the water that It should be okay.. :S otherwise even if I do RODI there (if they had it) it would still have nitrates... FML.

jedimasterben

De-ionized water (the DI in RO/DI) means that it has nothing in it - no "ions" of anything, as pure as you can get. Distilled is very close to being the same thing, from what I understand. Both will test 0 for nearly anything you test for.

albertthiel
De-ionized water (the DI in RO/DI) means that it has nothing in it - no "ions" of anything, as pure as you can get. Distilled is very close to being the same thing, from what I understand. Both will test 0 for nearly anything you test for.

From another source :

The difference between RO and DI water is the technique used to remove the impurities/ions. RO uses a semi-permeable membrane which is fine enough so that essentially only water molecules will pass through it. As a result you produce about 3 times as much waste water as purified water. DI uses ion exchange resins, which exchange the ions in the water, such as iron, magnesium, copper for hydrogen and nitrate, sulphate, phosphate for hydroxide. DI is fine to use, and if done correctly is better quality than a straight RO system (without a DI on the end).

Unquote

FWIW

Albert

Neat layout on the tank! I use DI water for top offs now -- can't see that it has made a difference, but I am lazy about testing my water. I had bryopsis when I first cycled, too, and it got eaten and has never come back. I just assumed it was part of the cycling process...and honestly (kindly remember my utter n00b status at that point), I loved watching it sway back and forth in the current! I still love watching things sway back and forth in the current :lol:.

Deleted User 3
Neat layout on the tank! I use DI water for top offs now -- can't see that it has made a difference, but I am lazy about testing my water. I had bryopsis when I first cycled, too, and it got eaten and has never come back. I just assumed it was part of the cycling process...and honestly (kindly remember my utter n00b status at that point), I loved watching it sway back and forth in the current! I still love watching things sway back and forth in the current :lol:.

Lol i dont like it. I like cleeeeeeeean! and tanks :) I tried RO water because it was cheaper but seems to have nitrates, but nothing else. guess back to distilled. that sucks. wish i had someone i could buy rodi from!

Here's a pic of my entire tank (stand and all). PS this is just your normal 10 gal walmart FW tank kit.. I just have the light in the front angled/ propped against the lid for the 'feeding' area in front thats why it looks weird. The monti prefers the light this way.

600426_378178605565036_1624089001_n.jpg

For behind the glass, i used my leopard bamboo placemats I never use. & duct tape. Pretty cool i'd say myself...

*Also. I just tested my tank... and had an idea. I tested the RO water & my tank water for nitrates... and the color is the same.... should I switch back to distilled? it's 50 cents more, but?

Love the FTS AND the leopard design!!!

Archived