Cultivated Reef

Tulips.

Deleted User 3

jedimasterben

Yeah, Ive had some out of the tank, tossed them in. Only two were dead out of the ones i kept throwin back in, I knew because they didn't move for days and then the hermits found them tasty, which they only do when something is dead, so. Its hard to check back where they go lol

Hermits don't only eat dead things, if they can catch something, they will eat it.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 3

Hermits don't only eat dead things, if they can catch something, they will eat it.

Not mine, I guarantee you. They've played with other snails but never ever eaten them, the only time I saw them was when i found one behind the stand and thought i'd toss it in the tank just in case it was still alive.

jedimasterben

Not mine, I guarantee you. They've played with other snails but never ever eaten them, the only time I saw them was when i found one behind the stand and thought i'd toss it in the tank just in case it was still alive.

You don't have magical hermit crabs. They are opportunistic omnivores that will eat anything they can catch or come across if they have the notion to do so, and this time they probably did.

Deleted User 3

Im' going to agree to disagree. They have never eaten anything alive. Pellets, dead mysis, snail slime... random sand.. thats about it. Bryopsis also.

jedimasterben

Im' going to agree to disagree. They have never eaten anything alive. Pellets, dead mysis, snail slime... random sand.. thats about it. Bryopsis also.

I know people that have had hermits or emerald crabs and the like for many, many years, with zero instances of them doing any harm, and then all of a sudden turning and starting attacking things or eating coral.

My hermits only eat the snails when they decide they want a new house. I suppose it makes sense, if I could get a meal and it came with a free house, I would do the same.

• Like 1
Deleted User 3

Lol Belac. So far mine haven't done that, none of the shells are really their size though, they're too big, except for thing 1 he's close but still a little big, I have 10 shells in there, im sure one day a hermit will be like.. hey.. I like your shell.. *kills snail*... wait it doesn't fit.. *leaves shell*.. I don't know why Thing 1 doesn't molt or atleast doesn't SEEM to get much bigger, when thing 2 molts normally and is like 3x Thing 1's size...

So I feel goofy but I admit when I am wrong. :blush: I checked an hour ago when I got water at walmart. It is just regular RO, I think I confused the UV treatment fof the DI a long time ago. So yeah it is just RO. I will continue useing for now, it has been working just fine. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

• Like 1
Deleted User 3

So... Looking at my tank the last 30 days or so... I have a lot of coralline.. on the powerheads now.. and on the rocks here and there, not a lot on the original dry rock, maybe it needs to work it's way there, but still, even spongebob has some specks. After i super dipped the monti frags in the peroxide/water combo, they were white per usual when i do that, and this morning they are NORMAL brown color body, and more polyps coming back out, not a lot but more than there was... I think to keep it alive til I get RODI and GFO i'm going to have to do this frequently lol. It even took off the coralline that was on the frags haha! I need RODI unit so bad. I can't keep up with the evap unless I use tap, cuz distilled is so pricey, and tap brings more food for algae GR. I do love watching my fish host the palys.. they need some sort of appropriate hosting space other than palys lol.

Algae Turf Scrubber, they are supposed to do pretty good sucking out phospates and nitrate/nitrite. I am about to start running one here one of these days. Probably after I get the macro tank running.

jedimasterben

Algae Turf Scrubber, they are supposed to do pretty good sucking out phospates and nitrate/nitrite. I am about to start running one here one of these days. Probably after I get the macro tank running.

What I'm finding is that the scrubber kills macroalgae pretty efficiently. I've got over a dozen varieties in my system and none have grown since I've had the scrubber.

Going to move the macro from my current sump to the macro tank. Then put the scrubber on the current reef tank. Need to make a larger sump first though...

jedimasterben

Going to move the macro from my current sump to the macro tank. Then put the scrubber on the current reef tank. Need to make a larger sump first though...

Ohhhh ok. :)

Archived