Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tulips.

Deleted User 3

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 3

You know.. I love how people went right past my two questions, didn't say anything about the pics... wtf.. seri im getting fed up with this site, its like talking to myself. lol I guess after a few months it's old news.

Found this guy once out of the water, put him in.. and here he is. I don't know if he's safe or not, or where he came from... I just call him limpy. 859491_474425175940378_612261518_o.jpg

Deleted User 3

I hope it's not a male limpet, you'd totally destroy his self-confidence.

You're right... I need to rename it just in case... Whats a unisex name for it.. lol

I think that first picture was a spaghetti worm (right color/length??) and no clue about the black specks. Mom-in-me says MOLD, but it's in a friggin saltwater tank so... yeah.

I like your limpet!! Hmmmm, no Limpy. Maybe Lionel? :P

Deleted User 3

Lolol. True, very true. I liked limpy. lol. hmm. I'll name it 'This'. Just cuz. I have things, so why not this... lol

I think that first picture was a spaghetti worm (right color/length??) and no clue about the black specks. Mom-in-me says MOLD, but it's in a friggin saltwater tank so... yeah.

I like your limpet!! Hmmmm, no Limpy. Maybe Lionel? :P

Really?! I thought spaghetti worms had like a big base worm part, with little strings coming off. and yah i thought mold too... i looked and looked and i couldn't get a texture or anything. It makes NO sense. It's not carbon peices either, i have no idea what they were, thanks for replying though <3 Appreciate it! and LOL@ Lionel.

Lolol. True, very true. I liked limpy. lol. hmm. I'll name it 'This'. Just cuz. I have things, so why not this... lol

Really?! I thought spaghetti worms had like a big base worm part, with little strings coming off. and yah i thought mold too... i looked and looked and i couldn't get a texture or anything. It makes NO sense. It's not carbon peices either, i have no idea what they were, thanks for replying though <3 Appreciate it! and LOL@ Lionel.

No, you're right. I went and double checked pictures of s.worms and that's nothing like it. Hmmm.... could it be a leech?

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/leechesfwf.htm

No, those are freshwater leeches...

Deleted User 3

EUW! I hope to god not, I hate leeches, EWWW. It's like a bristle worm but different... I tried googling, and checking my normal ID places and can't find it. I found one before, they live in the sand.

No, you're right. I went and double checked pictures of s.worms and that's nothing like it. Hmmm.... could it be a leech?

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/leechesfwf.htm

No, those are freshwater leeches...

EUW! I hope to god not, I hate leeches, EWWW. It's like a bristle worm but different... I tried googling, and checking my normal ID places and can't find it. I found one before, they live in the sand.

LOL yeah i had to stop google/imaging because I was about to lose my dinner. First time that would have happened too!! I can safely say pics of worms/leeches and ground beef in dinner are to be avoided at all costs now. :blush:

Deleted User 3

LOL yeah i had to stop google/imaging because I was about to lose my dinner. First time that would have happened too!! I can safely say pics of worms/leeches and ground beef in dinner are to be avoided at all costs now. :blush:

Well you are pregnant, so that would make sense :P and yuck, I could never eat meat while looking at worms... I have a hard enough time eating meat lol ! Ugh I so wish i had a normal job, I want a 55g, I could make a stand and everything...Wouldn't have a sump, but would have a back panel to seperate stuff. NEED UPGRADEEE. lol I just want my tank to look dope man.

Deleted User 3

HELP! :( :( Something is happening to sherman. I thought it was a fluke the first time... he's losing his legs in segments... say his legs are 6" long, he is losing the first 2 inches, and then the next 2 inches, he has 4 2" stubs and one normal leg, he hasn't been eating in a LONG time, but I always see him out of his holes in the morning... I tried feeding him even a piece of shrimp as he was running along the edge of the sand/glass and he didn't even try to grab it :( :( All levels are 0 (trate, trite, ammonia) temp has been a constant 79, salinity is.. 1.023-1.024 between there, it likes that level, I tried increasing to constant 1.024 or 1.025 and it was work to keep it there, I even water changed a few days/week ago to put more nutrients from the salt into the tank. I don't know whats going on :( :( I'm going to post this on my thread too. I'm so upset right now. EVERYTHING else is fine, hermits (although one molted all the legs but not the body) other stars, worms, snails.

Deleted User 3

Its been happening for a month atleast that ive noticed him losing limbs. I thought he was just getting caught when i moved the 2 rocks around, but when he came out he has 4 2" stubs, when i had only seen him lose a little bit of the ends.

Deleted User 3

Well i think they've been going off too fast, if he would loose just like an inch of the tip it would regrow, but this is like 4" of his legs. Also, I don't think i've ever seen him molt... and didn't know they did that.

jedimasterben

And the limbs he lost have not regrown? Has he molted since?

I believe Sherman is her brittle star.

They lose limbs because of poor water quality.

EDIT: or poor acclimation, but the length of time you've had it suggests this is not the case.

Deleted User 3

Well I do use tap on occasion to top up when it's really low and i can't make a run for the store, but all the levels are 0, there was no report of copper in the water on the water Q report I asked for, maybe theres something in the distilled I use?

BUT.. if water Q is the issue... why has he not been eating? :( Thats what perplexed me, it's like he's starving and his limbs are falling off.

Deleted User 3

I tried researching and could only find when they acclimate :( If it is the salinity issue, I'm going to get mass water tonight, RO, so i can have a ton of g's around for top up, but what would make him stop eating? I don't see him too often, but he used to come partially out when i fed... or if i put some food by him he would grab it, but he hasn't since atleast the beginning of January. I wish i had a pico set up, I would transfer him over, keep up w/ top off of pure distilled and see if it helped. I could monitor him easier that way since I don't even know where he is.

Oh hes a star fish, sorry, I thought he was a crab. I'm going to defer to Jedi or anybody with experience with stars, ill research online in the mean time

jedimasterben

Well I do use tap on occasion to top up when it's really low and i can't make a run for the store, but all the levels are 0, there was no report of copper in the water on the water Q report I asked for, maybe theres something in the distilled I use?

BUT.. if water Q is the issue... why has he not been eating? :( Thats what perplexed me, it's like he's starving and his limbs are falling off.

Deterioration, most likely. I had one do the same.

Deleted User 3

But what from? Starvation? The evap ? The top up? all? I just don't know. He can't be old, but I guess I really don't know how old he is. He's atleast 4 months old, he was about this size when i got him also (... without the lack of limb length), so he could be older, but so wierd. I'm sad :( I want him to survive. I don't know what to do. I feel horrible, I love my shermy :(:tears:

Deleted User 3

Deterioration, most likely. I had one do the same.

Oh hes a star fish, sorry, I thought he was a crab. I'm going to defer to Jedi or anybody with experience with stars, ill research online in the mean time

As of this morning, his body is falling apart. I couldn't see too much but the inside of his remaining limbs is getting hollow, and his body had a crack in it with flesh floating around. WTF did I do!? !? :( :(:(

jedimasterben

Usually higher than normal nitrate causes it. Most starfish can only handle so much nitrate, especially some of the fancier stars like linckias. Brittle stars normally live in piles of shit (and love it lol, nom nom nom) but they can only take so much nitrate.

Archived