ReefCleaners.org

I Pet my Octopus Daily

Criley7

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey are some of the "petting" videos that you guys asked for.

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg517/...262237CBEF6.mp4

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg517/...26313784D4F.mp4

ENJOY

THAT IS SO CUTE! Did he change colors in the first video?

Agree with Asid, he looked like he was purring. What does you wife think of you petting an octopus? :o

THAT IS SO CUTE! Did he change colors in the first video?

Agree with Asid, he looked like he was purring. What does you wife think of you petting an octopus? :o

Yea in the first video he changed color like crazy when I pet him. None of that was the effect of the lights, that was all him. My wife doesn't care about me petting it, cause she would do it too lol. In the end it's her octopus anyway since she was the one dying for me to get it. I get to take care of it, spend all the money to feed it, and everything else so she can reap the benefits of just watching him. Go figure.!!

Looks like you have an eight legged puppy, so cool man!

Haha yea. Thanks!

Awesome! If you do get him make a thread so we can see. Good luck and get a lid! Or make a screen lid like I did for better oxygen exchange.
I swear every time I make a tank thread something dies. I have new tank thread phobia! Awesome video of him letting you pet his head. I hope mine gets that friendly.

47119_4463615959242_268321959_n.jpg

I swear every time I make a tank thread something dies. I have new tank thread phobia! Awesome video of him letting you pet his head. I hope mine gets that friendly.

47119_4463615959242_268321959_n.jpg

Just try to interact with him daily. Weather it be feeding him, or taking pictures, or even just sitting in front of the tank watching him. I putting my hands on the tank right in front of him all the time too just so he knows that hands are not something to be afraid of. Ill check out the thread for sure! Good Luck with him. I hope he doesn't die on you! fingerscrossed

About how big is yours with its arms fully spread out?

Do bimacs normally get that accustomed to you that they allow you to touch them? Because that is awesome.

Most BiMacs or common octopus would act like this. But you would have to have them from when they are very young or small. So that way they spend most of their life around you and get used to you. Then they will greet you for food or for the occasional petting lol. If you can get a baby I know that people hand raise them and hand feed them. They end up coming to your hand and playing with it and all when they are that young and get comfortable.

So cool! My fiance told me to get one! I never thought I would hear say she wanted me to get something tank related :lol:

Yea exactly. I just about got yelled at for every purchase except for the octopus cause SHE Had to have it! And everything I talked about fish related goes in one ear and out the other except for octopus talk!

The Octopuppy! Awesome!

Lol thank you!

Just try to interact with him daily. Weather it be feeding him, or taking pictures, or even just sitting in front of the tank watching him. I putting my hands on the tank right in front of him all the time too just so he knows that hands are not something to be afraid of. Ill check out the thread for sure! Good Luck with him. I hope he doesn't die on you! fingerscrossed

About how big is yours with its arms fully spread out?

I've been sitting in front of his tank a lot. He is pretty active. Definitely doesn't hide all the time. He has long thin legs. I would guess his legs are 7-8", mantle about 2". I'm thinking he might be an A. Aculeatus.
I've been sitting in front of his tank a lot. He is pretty active. Definitely doesn't hide all the time. He has long thin legs. I would guess his legs are 7-8", mantle about 2". I'm thinking he might be an A. Aculeatus.

Nice. Sounds like you got a good one. When are you starting your tank thread?

Here's a thought I just had. How often do you feed those large crabs?

They really are Like little mini garbage disposals of the sea, with lots of crap inside of them that are usually un appealing to people. Maybe the whole act of cracking the shell open is letting this dusty crap out of them and leaching some extra phosphates.

Possible situation solution would be to keep the crabs in a quarantine type tank and feed them some nice fresh bait fish. Just a theory though, I am more or less talking out of my ass at this point.

Also, it would be bad ass to feed it a lobster. :P

How's the cyano going?

Its actually dying out. I have just been doing manual removals during water changes and have started to feed every other day instead of everyday. Its been working without any other methods right now.

Here's a thought I just had. How often do you feed those large crabs?

They really are Like little mini garbage disposals of the sea, with lots of crap inside of them that are usually un appealing to people. Maybe the whole act of cracking the shell open is letting this dusty crap out of them and leaching some extra phosphates.

Possible situation solution would be to keep the crabs in a quarantine type tank and feed them some nice fresh bait fish. Just a theory though, I am more or less talking out of my ass at this point.

Also, it would be bad ass to feed it a lobster. :P

Having another tank is not feasible right now. If I did I would be castrated by my wife. But that would work IMO. I just decided to feed him every other day mostly.

And I might actually want to take a video of him eating a lobster. I get the small fiddle crabs for about $3 so why not give him a lobster. My local grocery store sells lobster for 4.99/lb and they carry 1lb-1.25lb LIVE LOBSTERS. That would be awesome!

Screw that. Feed me a lobster.

+1

One for you, one for me, one for you, one for me.

They do fine with 2day. I ordered 50 and there were no DOA. Feeding and water changes are kind of pain but I don't have the luxury of picking them up from an LFS. None of them around here carry them.

I'm going to start my thread today, I got a little worried yesterday. He found a place to hide where I can't find him. I thought for sure he was gone, but appeared again after lights off.

Archived