Innovative Marine Aquariums

I Pet my Octopus Daily

Criley7

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you feed large crabs like in that video do you need to pull the top pincher off? Does the octopus kill it before it get a chance to retaliate?

When you feed large crabs like in that video do you need to pull the top pincher off? Does the octopus kill it before it get a chance to retaliate?

When he was smaller I would pull off the entire bigger claw an just throw the crab in. Now I just throw them in without and "modifications" lol. He has 8 arms and they have 2 claws so he just spreads their claws apart in a full Nelson and paralyzes the crab. Then he eats them from the inside out. I think he just overwhelms his prey so much that they pretty much just submit.

That's awesome.

I can't wait to move and set one up. I tried talking my girlfriends parents into letting me set one up at their house but they weren't having it.

HAHA yea I can barely get my wife to let me set up another tank, so I can only imagine how it went with the parents. Good Luck when you do set one up though. Let me know if you have any questions.

Just fill the damn basement with water already and get it over with. We can run LED's on the rafters and float around in inner tubes.

I would do it in a heartbeat if I wasn't married, or If I didnt have to wash clothing in the basement. I would come home and snorkle in the basement. haha

In my next house(so I have the room) I would like to have a Giant Pacific Octopus. They reach a max of 20ft tip to tip with an average size being 9-16ft. So I will be housing it in a 250g to keep it happy.

I can't tell if this is a joke. If so, disregard.

Anyway, according to tonmo.com, and the book Cephalopods in the Marine Aquarium, GPOs need at least 1,000 gallon aquariums. One person there says that the aquarium he works in keeps it in a 500g, and the staff feel sorry for it because the tank is not big enough.

Anyway, according to tonmo.com, and the book Cephalopods in the Marine Aquarium, GPOs need at least 1,000 gallon aquariums. One person there says that the aquarium he works in keeps it in a 500g, and the staff feel sorry for it because the tank is not big enough.

He's not kidding. He plans to keep it with a great white that we saddle and ride on the weekends.

Well Great Adventure Aquarium in Camden, NJ keep a GPO in a 150 gallon display tank. So i think a 250g custom volcano lagoon tank should suffice. Tank could end up being bigger though depending on space I have available for it. On the "volcano" I plan to let crabs roam so the octopus would have live food to hunt.

Well Great Adventure Aquarium in Camden, NJ keep a GPO in a 150 gallon display tank. So i think a 250g custom volcano lagoon tank should suffice. Tank could end up being bigger though depending on space I have available for it. On the "volcano" I plan to let crabs roam so the octopus would have live food to hunt.

But that would mean keeping a portion of the tank uncovered, and room for Suckerpie to get out.

But that would mean keeping a portion of the tank uncovered, and room for Suckerpie to get out.

I actually already thought of that. I am going to make it like an exhibit you would see at the aquarium. The side glass of the tank would be 6ft tall but the water level will only be 2-3ft deep so that extra few feet will keep him from getting out. Setting the tank up this way also allows me not to have to worry about a crab getting out of the enclosure either.

If you do plan on getting a GPO, join tonmo.com. Great advice on all things octopus and they can also tell you where to get adequate food for it etc.

If you do plan on getting a GPO, join tonmo.com. Great advice on all things octopus and they can also tell you where to get adequate food for it etc.

Yea I am already a member on there. Thanks for all the input!

AquaticEngineer

If you plan on getting a GPO hit me up :) I've had 3 in the last year or so. One went to a an aquarium in florida, the other to a guy in California, and I still have the newest one. I only collect juveniles that are a few months old at best.

They've all taken live crab readily and they do eat a lot of it :) If you start small you could keep a GPO in a 250 for several years.

I actually already thought of that. I am going to make it like an exhibit you would see at the aquarium. The side glass of the tank would be 6ft tall but the water level will only be 2-3ft deep so that extra few feet will keep him from getting out. Setting the tank up this way also allows me not to have to worry about a crab getting out of the enclosure either.

You're talking a custom tank that size then? Because overflow, filters and all that will need the water level to be up there to work unless this is a custom tank.

I thought the reason for a closed lid on a tank with an octopus is because they will get out. You can find octopus in low tide amongst the rocks, I don't think a lack of water stops them from exploring.

TeflonTomDosh
That's awesome.

I can't wait to move and set one up. I tried talking my girlfriends parents into letting me set one up at their house but they weren't having it.

LOL @ this.

He's not kidding. He plans to keep it with a great white that we saddle and ride on the weekends.

+1

E97920F4-87A8-41C6-BC26-434AC01671C9-573-00000111418C4B00.jpg

Don't be a pansy... Bareback that #####.

Also, it is scary how easily I can find basically whatever I want a picture of through google. Hairy caves and all.

If you plan on getting a GPO hit me up :) I've had 3 in the last year or so. One went to a an aquarium in florida, the other to a guy in California, and I still have the newest one. I only collect juveniles that are a few months old at best.

They've all taken live crab readily and they do eat a lot of it :) If you start small you could keep a GPO in a 250 for several years.

Awesome I definitely will! I love how you have the video of what I would actually be getting also. Thanks again!

You're talking a custom tank that size then? Because overflow, filters and all that will need the water level to be up there to work unless this is a custom tank.

I thought the reason for a closed lid on a tank with an octopus is because they will get out. You can find octopus in low tide amongst the rocks, I don't think a lack of water stops them from exploring.

Yea the tank would be fully custom made. With the overflow built into the back wall causing the water to overflow at around 2ft deep. And yes you do need a tight fitting lid if your water level is to the top of the tank, but when there is 3ft-4ft of space before he would even reach the top, it would be highly unlikely that it would even try to climb that far out of water. That is why I keep my water level at least 3" from the top of the tank. My octopus might hang out at the surface of the water and as soon as his arms reach too far out of water he will pull them right back in and stop being curious, but if I fill the water to the top is when he starts to look for a way out and puts his arms out of the tank.

E97920F4-87A8-41C6-BC26-434AC01671C9-573-00000111418C4B00.jpg

Don't be a pansy... Bareback that #####.

Also, it is scary how easily I can find basically whatever I want a picture of through google. Hairy caves and all.

:lol:

Except that also gets poor Albert in trouble. He finds pictures incorrectly named and posts them.

AquaticEngineer
Awesome I definitely will! I love how you have the video of what I would actually be getting also. Thanks again!

I can also get the Pacific Reds which are smaller, Vulgaris, Bimacs occasionally, and I'm first in line to get Rossia Pacifica(aka stubby squid) with a few places :)

I can also get the Pacific Reds which are smaller, Vulgaris, Bimacs occasionally, and I'm first in line to get Rossia Pacifica(aka stubby squid) with a few places :)

Sounds awesome! I do like the Pacific Reds a lot also. I was thinking that I want to owe some Nautilus also!

Squid haven't been kept successfully yet though. Right? Squid would be awesome.

I thought I remember hearing from someone and reading somewhere that people have been able to keep some. If I am remembering correctly they were Humboldt Squid also.

Archived