Criley7

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you tried

-Microbacter7

-Sugar or Vodka

-GFO in a small bag thrown in a high flow area

Apparently sugar and vodka give drastic results. I researched the matter a while ago, and all nitrate/algae problems cleared up in a month. All you do is add a little bit of sugar solution each day. 1 teaspoon sugar is equivalent to 10 ml vodka. I can't find the volume of your tank, but that is about 1/20 of a teaspoon per 25 gallons. Start off with less than that and slowly bring it up to that much in a week.

Apparently sugar and vodka give drastic results. I researched the matter a while ago, and all nitrate/algae problems cleared up in a month. All you do is add a little bit of sugar solution each day. 1 teaspoon sugar is equivalent to 10 ml vodka. I can't find the volume of your tank, but that is about 1/20 of a teaspoon per 25 gallons. Start off with less than that and slowly bring it up to that much in a week.

Thanks! I'll look it up and do that next water change.

Here's a new feeding video. You can seen him in the cave all curled up, but when he sees the crab watch him turn black like he is the inside of the cave, before he attacks. This one is better video because he shows a major color change once he gets the crab.

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg517/...45C6B4986D6.mp4

I just saw this, how cool! I don't know if you noticed, but just as he grabs the crab there is a shout from the crowd on the Yankee game! Perfect timing.

I just saw this, how cool! I don't know if you noticed, but just as he grabs the crab there is a shout from the crowd on the Yankee game! Perfect timing.

Yea it seems to work like that when I film him hunting. One of the last few videos I posted I had Blood Diamond on in the background and as he grabs the crab and starts pulling the, the "tribal" music kicks in at full force! Haha

Nice video! What a cool animal. Just out of curiosity, how much are you feeding him?

I feed him randomly. One of those crabs or a larger silverside every other day. Or sometimes I'll give him one 2 days in a row, then don't feed him for 2 days. I just try to keep it random so he is move active around the tank. I think if I fed him everyday or every other day at the same time that he would only come out because he would know he's being fed.

I still say you set up the bell and rope. B)

If you were to throw a large clam in there would he break the shell open or pry it open like a starfish would?

LFS has an Octopus. Your thread is making it hard not to pull the trigger. Guess I better head over to Tomno and try to figure out what species it is. I have a cycled 30G that just needs a top.

I still say you set up the bell and rope. B)

If you were to throw a large clam in there would he break the shell open or pry it open like a starfish would?

Yea that's still an option. I have never fed him a clam, but I imagine he would pry it open. Clams shells would be too think to pierce for his size.

LFS has an Octopus. Your thread is making it hard not to pull the trigger. Guess I better head over to Tomno and try to figure out what species it is. I have a cycled 30G that just needs a top.

Yea it is definitely a fun animal to watch and own. If you get it I would recommend a skimmer and a refugium if you can. I have a HOB fuge but I don't think it's enough personally, but it does help.

Wow! Nice vid! It was just like, "Get off my lawn!" and went for the crab.

As for clams, they can eat them by drilling with their beak, but use it as a supplementary food b/c they don't really like to.

And I think an octopus actually could learn to use a bell and rope.

Wow! Nice vid! It was just like, "Get off my lawn!" and went for the crab.

As for clams, they can eat them by drilling with their beak, but use it as a supplementary food b/c they don't really like to.

And I think an octopus actually could learn to use a bell and rope.

Thank you! Yea I think octopus can Drill through a clam for sure, but mine is just so small that I think he would get tired of it before he got inside a clam. A large octopus like a GPO would most likely puncture through within a few bites. I think he would play with the bell and learn easily but I think they are too clever for there own good and he would do it to get fed all the time.

On a side note, I was changing the water today and he kept playing with the syphon hose. So I played back and would lift him fully out of the water and dunk him back in. I think he liked it a lot because when I stopped on got of the hose and came right up to the front glass at the water line. He was looking at me like hey why did you stop? I took this has a hands on opportunity and he actually let me pet him on his head for awhile. I thought it was a pretty cool experience.

You're making it hard to not get an octopus one day.
+ 1. I spent all day Sunday sealing up my 30G. I'm just loading it up with some Mysis to make sure it will handle the bio-load. It's running an ATS so hopefully that is enough to deal with the Octopi waste. If the Octopus is still at the LFS this week I will probably bring it home.

Where is the video of you petting your Octopus????

+ 1. I spent all day Sunday sealing up my 30G. I'm just loading it up with some Mysis to make sure it will handle the bio-load. It's running an ATS so hopefully that is enough to deal with the Octopi waste. If the Octopus is still at the LFS this week I will probably bring it home.

Where is the video of you petting your Octopus????

Awesome! If you do get him make a thread so we can see. Good luck and get a lid! Or make a screen lid like I did for better oxygen exchange.

Archived