Cultivated Reef

old thread lol

jedimasterben

Deckoz2302

Hey Ben, I have a Q. SInce my Ro unit runs 24/7, how often should I change the carbon block ? I do it every couple of months but know it lasts longer then that.

1 micrp 20000 gallons - provided its got a 5 micron before it sediment and carbon...otherwise 6000 gallons

5 micron - 6000 gallons

Sediment filter every 2000 or when discolored

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

I'm on my second batch of rocks cooking away for today - one more, and all but two small pieces of my 'live' rock will be dead and shiny white.

It was a real bitch to get a mini-maxi out of the rock I had my acans on, which were encrusted, so I had to break them off :/

Also, I was trying to get a serpent star out of a rock, and it wouldn't come, so I took it outside, drizzled some hydrogen peroxide on the rock, and what comes barreling out of it? MY MOTHER FRIGGIN MANTIS SHRIMP!!! I THOUGHT HE DIED MONTHS AGO!! I was wondering why there weren't any dwarf ceriths left in the DT :lol:

I'm so happy I found him! I don't particularly have a place to put him at the moment, so he's just hanging out in a net in the tank, but he's alive! Huzzah!

Ben, I am sorry you are having such a rough time. I am so impressed by your determination to make it work! GL :)

Very nice article and something I fully agree on. You know how everybody is always encouraging me to upgrade? I am so happy with the tank I have that fretting about with a new setup and going through all the growing pains to establish a new tank is not something I want or look forward to. I want to make what I have the best that it can be. Keeping it simple brings me great pleasure because I see the results in my tank.

I could only like this comment once so I decided to give it its proper place of honor! +1,000,000

jedimasterben

Yet more bad news. After feeling all good with getting all my live rock cleaned up and getting ready to move forward again, I come inside and have to pull out the pearly jawfish, the last anthias (a dispar).... and my betta. :tears::tears::tears:

jedimasterben

What happened

Stress from QT? I have no idea. I've been pulling fish out left and right. No ammonia, even after a fish sitting and starting to decay (one of the dispar anthias was lodged under a piece of PVC, so I didn't know it kicked the bucket, and it was pretty broken down).

I separated the fish out among two tanks with lots of places to hide to prevent stressing them out, and yet I have still lost nearly all of them. Down to the four chromis, molly, chalk basslet, yellow watchman, barnacle blenny, coral beauty, and mandarin - though I'll most likely be pulling the mandarin out today, yesterday it was not doing so well, and it didn't eat anything. I guess things really don't like to be quarantined twice. :/

Polarcollision

four chromis, molly, chalk basslet, yellow watchman, barnacle blenny, coral beauty, and mandarin

Does... does this mean the beautiful leopard wrass is no more? :tears:

jedimasterben

Does... does this mean the beautiful leopard wrass is no more? :tears:

I forgot to list it because the little BASTARD is still in the tank with the clams, corals, and nems. He has outwitted me every time I get in there to get it!

Polarcollision

I forgot to list it because the little BASTARD is still in the tank with the clams, corals, and nems. He has outwitted me every time I get in there to get it!

omgomgomg Long live the little BASTARD!

jedimasterben

lol

:wub:

If you can make this smaller I want it in my siggy :wub:

I'll see what I can do, dahhling.

Deckoz2302

Ben. I love you. Because in drizunk at outback. Lol. For real what the plan with the new tank? Im sorry you lostbso many fish. But please don't stock so much this time around. I won't lie it kind of upset me yoh had so many fish...not necessarily for the health of the fish but for the abiluty to keep a stable nutrient level without the affect of agal growth thay effected your corals. Sorry for all the losses...but I beleive you told me many times kiss, especially with your stocking list. Hope thos isnt an as.shole post.... <3 u lol

jedimasterben

Pulled the mandarin and coral beauty out today. Looks like I am basically starting over with fish. I've got the four chromis, yellow watchman, barnacle blenny, molly, leopard wrasse, and chalk basslet left. Oy.

Ben. I love you. Because in drizunk at outback. Lol. For real what the plan with the new tank? Im sorry you lostbso many fish. But please don't stock so much this time around. I won't lie it kind of upset me yoh had so many fish...not necessarily for the health of the fish but for the abiluty to keep a stable nutrient level without the affect of agal growth thay effected your corals. Sorry for all the losses...but I beleive you told me many times kiss, especially with your stocking list. Hope thos isnt an as.shole post.... <3 u lol

lolwut.jpg

Stocking will definitely be different this time around, but I think the bioload will be somewhere around the same. Like I said before, my nutrient export before the sump went to shit was more than keeping up with nutrient import.

I've done some real thinking on what I want stockwise. Most of them are small (or tiny) and stay that way.

Main tank:

5x chromis

3x leopard wrasse

barnacle blenny

powder brown tang

some sort of angel, maybe a Genicanthus, but most of them get kinda large, and are expensive

3x Tuka anthias (aka purple queen)

3x Bartlett's anthias

3x dispar anthias

Little tank:

pair of clowns

Trio of firefish

golden dwarf moray? the more I see them, the more I want one. Mariah hates eels, but it's not her tank :P

I wonder how much light sebae/malu anemones can handle, if they'd be ok to be with the clams.

Deckoz2302

Thats still alot of fish.. I would pick one of the multiples. Either 5x chromis...or one of the 3x anthias.. Also get a gdm, my wife didn't like eels eitheruuntil I got one. Its one of her favorite fish now

My crispa loves light....like alot

Also trio of firefish? They will kill each other unless you end up with a male/female in which case the third wheel will die

jedimasterben

Thats still alot of fish.. I would pick one of the multiples. Either 5x chromis...or one of the 3x anthias.. Also get a gdm, my wife didn't like eels eitheruuntil I got one. Its one of her favorite fish now

It seems like a lot - but again, none of them are anything close to large fish besides the tang.

My crispa loves light....like alot

But I'm wondering how high they can really handle - 500? 700? 1,000?

Also trio of firefish? They will kill each other unless you end up with a male/female in which case the third wheel will die

I've heard several success stories of keeping trios (and larger groups), so was going to do a trial and see what happens.

Archived