SaltCritters.com

old thread lol

jedimasterben

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

A lot of them melted after the resurgence of dinoflagellates. They got covered and stopped opening up. I thought I lost most of my zoas, but left them in the tank after peroxide dips, and sure enough, they're coming back. :)

Ya know, it's amazing how much corals seem to like a tank with only a little water, no skimmer, no carbon, no GFO, no water changes, no heater, only proper LED lighting and good flow.

Kfmmartin19
A lot of them melted after the resurgence of dinoflagellates. They got covered and stopped opening up. I thought I lost most of my zoas, but left them in the tank after peroxide dips, and sure enough, they're coming back. :) Ya know, it's amazing how much corals seem to like a tank with only a little water, no skimmer, no carbon, no GFO, no water changes, no heater, only proper LED lighting and good flow.
U r one crazy mofo.

In a good way of course

jedimasterben

Soo.... I kinda love making GIFs....

shrimpie-new.gif

porcelain-crab.gif

Fed my corals directly for the first time today. Wanted to feed just a few mysis, but was so awesome that I fed the whole cube :lol:

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

Also figured since the leopard wrasse in the DT was not enough of a bioload (maybe that's why the clammy died), so I got these. Yeah, I know, proverbial drop in the bucket as far as bioload :lol:

IMG_0193.jpg

jedimasterben

I don't quite understand it, but I lost my squamosa clam today. One of the hardiest clams, and one that showed zero signs of anything wrong, just up and bit the dust. Meanwhile I'm left with two large maximas and a derasa, the maximas being the ones that, with my reading, I expected to be the ones with issues, but it doesn't particularly seem that way.

jedimasterben

Less depressing, pictures from the Smithsonian Marine Station in Fort Pierce.

This looks like a sebae anemone... but it can't be, as this is an exclusively 'local' tank, all Caribbean stuff.

EDIT: This is Stichodactyla helianthus, the sun anemone.

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

I believe that this is a hybrid acro, Acropora 'x prolifera', (A. cervicornis x palmata), and I want a piece lol

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

A molly caught in the Indian River Lagoon.

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

This little dude was like half an inch long.

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

A 'deepwater' exhibit, using flashlights with red LEDs to illuminate what you want to see.

IMG_0076.jpg

And the best part - every single exhibit is run using algae turf scrubbers - even for their large reef tank with tons of acropora, no protein skimmers at all.

IMG_0078.jpg

BattleAthletics

Not only did I manage to spill koolaid on my keyboard (a corsair K90) and more than likely kill it, but I then tried to drink what was left in my cup, hiccuped, shot it out of my nose, and once I got into the bathroom I puked up what I had swallowed. Not particularly a good night.

Want to sig

jedimasterben

Cool pics! Neat puffers! The little green fish that looked like the sea grass is so cute! :D

The little filefish? They were pretty much adorable :wub:

Interesting. Everything is brown/beige in the smithsonian reef tank. Almost like a natural reef except those parts of the world that get exposed to tide pool and the exposure to high levels of sun gives the reefs their sunscreen of color.

jedimasterben

That 'sunscreen' is colorless, actually. Some corals just look good in sunlight, like clams.

They use eight 1kW 6500K halides.

jedimasterben

Well, it would seem as if I'm doing something correctly, anyway, the back wall of the tank (up to the water level, of course) is becoming absolutely covered in coralline.

jedimasterben

It just turned down the other one and jiggled the 'flush' handle. Three clams in four days, and corals look like shit. I'm assuming from clams, but no ammonia and minimal nitrate. meh.

It just turned down the other one and jiggled the 'flush' handle. Three clams in four days, and corals look like shit. I'm assuming from clams, but no ammonia and minimal nitrate. meh.

My sympathies, Ben. :(

Archived