Pod Your Reef

old thread lol

jedimasterben

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

That is odd, should not take more than a few hours.

Salt got moist at some point, looks like my bucket has a hairline crack in the lid. Just takes longer to mix.

jedimasterben

BETTER CHECK YOUR SALINITY OR I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT I DO TO YOU

Salinity won't be different. The worst that could happen would be that some calcium would precipitate, but it didn't.

Where would the salt go?

jedimasterben

so you're not checking salinity in other words.

DON't MAKE ME COME OVER THERE.

Why wouldn't I be checking it? Again, where would that salt go?

jedimasterben

Unfortunately it has the same issue as other RBG LED-based things - essentially piss-poor color rendition. In a nutshell, each LED has three diodes - one 470nm blue, one 530nm green, and one 630nm red. They can make different colors of light that can fool our eyes, but they still only give those specific wavelengths for what is under them to reflect. There is so much spectrum missing from them, especially in the amber-red spectrum, that their CRI will be very, very low. On top of that, it has nearly zero photosynthetic spectra, and would rely on peridinin and neoperidinin to absorb the 470nm light and transfer that energy to chlorophyll a - and since chlorophyll a is found in significantly higher quantities than peridinin and neoperidinin, growth potential under these and any other RGB LEDs is severely crippled.

fig-2-white-led-vs-rgb-led-spectrum.jpg

Also, the new AI hydra... thoughts Ben? I'm a bit confused by it... I thought the Vega was better than the sol as in it had better spectrum, colors, optics, power, etc. But the hydra is saying it's got the "unmatched" power of the Sol with the colors of the Vega... I do like the lenses and how they will supposedly blend the colors. 400 seems reasonable for the unit, too.

jedimasterben

Not only did I manage to spill koolaid on my keyboard (a corsair K90) and more than likely kill it, but I then tried to drink what was left in my cup, hiccuped, shot it out of my nose, and once I got into the bathroom I puked up what I had swallowed. Not particularly a good night.

Archived