inTank Media Baskets

old thread lol

jedimasterben

najluni15

The RA is awesome. You love it. Roberto is great at helping and the forums on the RA website. I also have the pwm reef angel and got the pwm expansion but Roberto added two 0-10v ports and 4 pwm ports to the expansion so I have my led fixture and my tunze pumps running on it. It works great!

And you really don't need to understand coding to use the RA. I have no coding knowledge but am able to get all the help I need on the forums.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apex uses ladder logic, while RA is full Adriano. If you want all the options, then go RA, however apex is enough for what 99% of what people want to do.

Combine the two. Biotechnology. Mmmmmm

I'll leave the tech part to the others ;) Give me the biology and a lab bench any day.

jedimasterben

Yet you have an RA...lol im confused?

Also why do yoy need 10v? The pwm module has a separate transducer fo channel 1/2, 3/4, and 5/6. So the module will ayto adjust voltage output as you are supplying 12volt to it. Just make sure the drivers on each transducer is the same voltage dimmer. It works especially well when the driver creates its own reference voltage. For example

Ive used the same ra pwm module on

Buckpucks that create thier own 10v reference some are analog some accept pwm

Meanwell 60p - 10v analog but doesn't create its own reference

Meanwell ldd pwn series - 5v pwm lead without its own reference

I got it for the customization, and knowing that Roberto is willing to help out. The learning curve for Arduino is incredibly steep, and without dedicating significant amounts of time to it, I don't think I'd be able to do it right.

I'm surprised your LDD in Dave's fixture are working with the 10v signal, unless you removed the pieces that buck the 5v from the Arduino up to 10v. I remember Roberto saying that the bucking piece would need to be removed so that it would pass just the 5v signal. IDK though, I don't really remember.

Ah ok. Reef Angel would be well out of my abilities. No arduino knowledge let alone c++ or programming.

Roberto (the owner) will help code, as will several others on their forum (and Deckoz, if'n you ask nicely lol)

Combine the two. Biotechnology. Mmmmmm

this.

The RA is awesome. You love it. Roberto is great at helping and the forums on the RA website. I also have the pwm reef angel and got the pwm expansion but Roberto added two 0-10v ports and 4 pwm ports to the expansion so I have my led fixture and my tunze pumps running on it. It works great!

And you really don't need to understand coding to use the RA. I have no coding knowledge but am able to get all the help I need on the forums.

He'll do that? Damn, that would be sweet! I'll have to see if he can do that for me, as well, since I wanna control my two Tunzes, but don't wanna have to buy another relay box or analog dimming expansion. I will have to run one channel of color on the main unit, though. I hope that I will still be able to write all of my lighting code to the dimming expansion and have it match up with the single channel on the main unit.

Have you put the glow in the dark gene into a clownfish yet tibbs? It should be fairly, simple right? Just think about the millions you could make selling those things....

najluni15

I run two channels color on main unit and 4 on expansion. Then 2 pumps on expansion no problem

Have you put the glow in the dark gene into a clownfish yet tibbs? It should be fairly, simple right? Just think about the millions you could make selling those things....

Hahaha, it would take a TON of cash and resources to do that, but it definitely could be done. I may actually look into that... Captive bred GFP clownfish

Edit: Lame. Apparently GloFish is already a thing. They use zebrafish. I could try it anyways and just not sell them.

jedimasterben

Pretty sure I caught a molly at my parents' house on Lake Okeechobee. EDIT: yep, sailfin molly, and they're native, too!

2013_05_09__18_50_36.jpg

2013_05_09__18_50_48.jpg

2013_05_09__18_51_00.jpg

I run two channels color on main unit and 4 on expansion. Then 2 pumps on expansion no problem

Is your lighting code loaded onto the memory of the expansion or on the main unit? Brad has all of his lighting code on the expansion so it doesn't use all the memory on the main unit.

jedimasterben

On main unit. Could idea. I didn't realize the expansion had memory

From what deckoz said in another thread, you can actually use the expansion as its own PWM controller.

Deckoz2302

On main unit. Could idea. I didn't realize the expansion had memory

the expansion is a full atmega328 with 32kbmemory, ect ect.

as far as you having part code on one or the other yes you can do that jedi, you just create a wire call. If you look at my code you see the seasonsVar is info transfer via requestevent or other request calls via i2c wire transfer protocall. you just have to tell it what info you want and then once the other module receives the info you tell it what to do with it

From what deckoz said in another thread, you can actually use the expansion as its own PWM controller.

yes you can, but you would have to modify it by soldering a rtc to analog legs 4 and 5 of the atmega as the pwm expansion has no RTC

Hahaha, it would take a TON of cash and resources to do that, but it definitely could be done. I may actually look into that... Captive bred GFP clownfish

Edit: Lame. Apparently GloFish is already a thing. They use zebrafish. I could try it anyways and just not sell them.

Tibbs, yeah the GloFish is definitely an existing brand, but surely you could still put them into clownfish? You should start a kickstarter for it. :)

Ben, that's actually a pretty nice looking molly. Are you going to add it to your tank!?

Tibbs, yeah the GloFish is definitely an existing brand, but surely you could still put them into clownfish? You should start a kickstarter for it. :)

Nah, they probably have the patent on making fish with the gene. The gene is available for all to use, but I'd be willing to bet they would try and come down like a hammer.

I am going to look into it. It may require a LOT of fish and a LOT of tanks/equipment. A kickstarter would be the only way to do it.

jedimasterben

So I got home, my boards for my LDD drivers came in, and about 90% of the other parts, so I should be able to put it mostly together this weekend.

After doing a few things, i sat down to look at the tank and cleared the algae off the front, and guess what.

2013_05_09__21_05_49.jpg

2013_05_09__21_06_23.jpg

They're back. :( :( :( :(

jedimasterben

:o Kill them all!

How goes the new rockwork you were making?

It's fine, still as it was the last pic of it.

Dude WTF is going on in there? :huh:

idk, but there's about to be a hammer going on in there.

Is that hair or dino? I'm not sure if you've tried it yet, but I highly recommend prodibio. I had the start of some of that and used it and within a week it was gone. That stuff is specifically designed to help with the bacteria that lives in the LR. If all your water parameters are on, then it has to be something in the rock itself that's causing it. I'd try using digest and bioptim for a month and I'll bet you it clears up. I dose digest one week, bioptim the next, and so on.

jedimasterben

Is that hair or dino?

Both. I thought at first the bubbles were just from the makeshift algae scrubber in the DT now, but I forgot to plug that pump with the venturi back on and that's what I came home to. :/

I'm not sure if you've tried it yet, but I highly recommend prodibio. I had the start of some of that and used it and within a week it was gone. That stuff is specifically designed to help with the bacteria that lives in the LR.

I've used Dr. Tim's, which is supposed to do the same thing, but I see how it turned out. According to tibbsy, I think he said this anyway, that it would be strange if a bacterial additive actually would make a difference with the sheer numbers of bacteria colonizing the rock and sand already, they would be overtaken long before they could establish themselves.

If all your water parameters are on, then it has to be something in the rock itself that's causing it. I'd try using digest and bioptim for a month and I'll bet you it clears up. I dose digest one week, bioptim the next, and so on.

That stuff is pretty expensive, and it probably won't be the 'cure', and I know that Bioptim would actually fuel them, as does carbon dosing. From what a few things I've read, dinoflagellates more easily pop up when the tanks N:P ratios are high, so more nitrate and less phosphate (and the opposite for cyano). I have not been able to measure either in my tank, with very aggressive use of GFO and algal uptake of nitrate in my algae scrubber. Just sucks.

Yea, that does suck man. I feel you. I've battled this stuff in the past and so far I've just been lucky. I'm hoping you can get a handle on it soon because you've got a lot of nice stuff in there that I know you don't want to lose!

Deckoz2302

/thinks you need to stop adding stuff from the ocean that isnt qt'd

then again i think alot of things

like im sitting outside and its to bright to see my mouse pointer so i dont even know if ill be able to find the post button

Archived