Top Shelf Aquatics

old thread lol

jedimasterben

Deckoz2302
It seems like a lot - but again, none of them are anything close to large fish besides the tang.

But I'm wondering how high they can really handle - 500? 700? 1,000?

I've heard several success stories of keeping trios (and larger groups), so was going to do a trial and see what happens.

The chromis and anthias at full maturity will be 3.5-5inchs in length and relatively thick. Its a big bioload Ben, sorry I'm not trying to be an ass b7t therr is no way you can justify. 26 fish off 137 gallons with an average legth of 4.7inchs mature and and a vertical height of 1.8 inches witg a girth of 0.65 inchs.....I don't want you to go through all this then lead to the same thing in a year.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The chromis and anthias at full maturity will be 3.5-5inchs in length and relatively thick. Its a big bioload Ben, sorry I'm not trying to be an ass b7t therr is no way you can justify. 26 fish off 137 gallons with an average legth of 4.7inchs mature and and a vertical height of 1.8 inches witg a girth of 0.65 inchs.....I don't want you to go through all this then lead to the same thing in a year.

1" per gallon right? He's got it under control, it's not like he crashed a tank using the same methods that he's doing over again.

Deckoz2302
1" per gallon right? He's got it under control, it's not like he crashed a tank using the same methods that he's doing over again.

The rule of thumb is 1 inch per 10 gallons. Which no one follows.

jedimasterben

Let's say that your return pump all of a sudden dies, and you don't have any pumps that you can replace it with. What would happen to your system?

The rule of thumb is 1 inch per 10 gallons. Which no one follows.

Because it's not actually a rule of thumb, it is something that someone made up that doesn't make any sense.

I've done some real thinking on what I want stockwise. Most of them are small (or tiny) and stay that way.

Main tank:

5x chromis

3x leopard wrasse

barnacle blenny

powder brown tang

some sort of angel, maybe a Genicanthus, but most of them get kinda large, and are expensive

3x Tuka anthias (aka purple queen)

3x Bartlett's anthias

3x dispar anthias

Little tank:

pair of clowns

Trio of firefish

golden dwarf moray? the more I see them, the more I want one. Mariah hates eels, but it's not her tank :P

I wonder how much light sebae/malu anemones can handle, if they'd be ok to be with the clams.

nope-octopus.gif

Deckoz2302
Let's say that your return pump all of a sudden dies, and you don't have any pumps that you can replace it with. What would happen to your system?

Because it's not actually a rule of thumb, it is something that someone made up that doesn't make any sense.

If the return dies. Id go and buy another pump, my heater would get relocated to the display for a day and my mp10s are on 70amp hoyr batteries?

Yes it makes sensw for a fowler system. Not a reef.

I was looking at your fish list from post #1 in this thread and it was pretty good

Fish:

• 2x Bartlett's Anthias [Pseudanthias bartlettorum]
  • 4x Blue/Green Chromis [Chromis viridis]
  • 1x Black Lyretail Sailfin Molly [Poecilia latipinna]
  • 1x Marble Lyretail Sailfin Molly [Poecilia latipinna]
  • 1x Coral Beauty Angelfish [Centropyge bispinosa]
  • 1x Spotted Mandarinfish [synchiropus picturatus]
  • 1x Firefish [Nemateleotris magnifica]

The current stocking wish list you have now has slim chances of working IMO. There are several reasons for this and these all come from looking at YOUR setup, not a rule of thumb or toe.

The speed at which you have added livestock in the past and likely to do so in the future is possibly the biggest obstacle you face.

The existing fish still have ich, and even if you are ich free in the near future, you will likely have already added more new fish before the current livestock has had a chance to heal and be symptom free for any length of time.

The fish you have yet to purchase could work if spaced out, 1-2 fish every 6-8 weeks. This gives the biological filtration (which you will be messing with every single day with pellets and over sized skimming, scrubber, dosing, etc) a chance to catch up to your bio load.

No matter how strongly you feel the bacteria populates in under 10 seconds and it's all balanced, it is really not. In your particular case time is your nemesis. When you constantly add more to your bio load, and constantly work on nutrient control you are not giving your system time to find a happy stability.

If you can come up with a timeline of when to add new fish and how many at a time, you might have a 2nd chance at having a setup you can be proud of.

There are many friends on the forum all telling you the same thing: slow down, don't over stock, keep it simple. Time is your friend, it's not a race. :flower:

jedimasterben

Posting from the Miami Seaquarium on Key Biscayne. Don't quite think it was worth the three hour drive. The big 'reef' aquarium has like four gorgonians in it.

jedimasterben

Its pretty pathetic IMO. It was around 300K gallons and had just those few gorgonians, and I don't think any of them measured out more than a foot and a half. I've seen gorges in the wild get ridiculously massive, and with natural sunlight, they should do similar.

jedimasterben

Big 'ol trigger.

IMG_0076.jpg

Grey angel

IMG_0096.jpg

Queen angel

IMG_0101.jpg

Bigass barracuda. He liked me and followed me around the tank.

IMG_0105.jpg

Shark pile!

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

Oh hai!

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

This thing was like 6" long. It was impressive.

IMG_0334.jpg

These few are dark - had to fiddle with shutter speed, ISO, and aperture and it turned out kinda wonky. I'll get the hang of it one of these days. EDIT: and the JPEGs came out even worse, didn't even notice it. Hmm.

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

These bitches tried to soak me... and the camera.

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

This is like half a turtle.

IMG_0236.jpg

But he could still clip along pretty good.

IMG_0218.gif

Purdy flower.

IMG_0204.jpg

Most of its flipper was torn off by a motor.

IMG_0198.jpg

oh hai

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

IMMA EAT CHU

IMG_0181.jpg

... if you know what I mean

IMG_0148.jpg

I don't know if you only shop at LFS's, but If you do decide to get the purple queen Anthias, do yourself a favor and get them from BlueZoo. Ive only seen PQ's on DD once in my entire life, but BZ always has them and BZ is just as good as DD in my opinion, often better. Tukas are the hardest anthias ive ever kept. I can guarantee you they will only eat one thing - live baby brine, not frozen, and as you know they need atleast 5 or more feeding daily so hatchng BBS will be your new religion.

jedimasterben

They're just one that I like, not something I am determined to have, I'm still undecided about stocking.

Loved the pictures! I used to go to the Miami Seaquarium all the time as a kid. The manatees and dolphins were my favorites. :)

The tiny Crandon Park Zoo was still down there then, before they moved and improved to become the Miami Metro Zoo. I got a commemorative brick engraved for my son and daughter at the Metro Zoo. Ahhhh.... good times.

jedimasterben

The 15g of water I've been mixing for over five days (maybe seven?) FINALLY cleared up, so I put most of the rock out of the old system in it with a bottle of Dr Tim's One and Only and Waste Away.

One step closer!

Archived