Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

old thread lol

jedimasterben

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Yeah, she's my Bubbles. She's been really clingy lately, it's funny. She was the 'antisocial' cat that now is always wanting to be in my lap when I'm sitting down :lol::wub:

Yeah, she's my Bubbles. She's been really clingy lately, it's funny. She was the 'antisocial' cat that now is always wanting to be in my lap when I'm sitting down :lol::wub:

Senses your stress.

Bubbles is squeezable! I have a Bubbles but she is a Lab/Beagle/Heeler mix doggie with round black patterns on her back. :)

jedimasterben

Uhm. So I have a baby lettuce nudibranch (well, sea slug) in my tank. That means I'm doing something right.... right?

jedimasterben

You named your cat Bubbles?

I didn't know you were a chick.

:P

:P

She was actually named that when we adopted her. Not sure why they named her bubbles, she's not that bubbly, unless you count how fat she is now :)

jedimasterben

Maybe they had predicted she was going to be a tub o lard (she was the runt, i think, and she had pneumonia or something before we got her, so was tiny). :lol:

jedimasterben

Terrible pictures of baby nudibranch.

IMAGE00000-2.jpg

IMAGE00002-4.jpg

Also, dinoflagellates. Again. I'm overjoyed to see them.

Cute baby nudi. :)

I love watching my nudis eat algae. They have cute little antennas on their heads.

In the words of the father character in Calvin and Hobbes, those "slippin, rippin, dang, fang, rotten zarg, barg-a-ding dong; dinos!"

mom_3466.gif

jedimasterben

cute slug. crappy dinos. are you dosing anything? what are you running on this now? gfo? carbon? scrubber? skimmer? what?

Nothing right now. Stony corals are almost all gone, and no growth from the clam or remaining stonys, so no cal or alk, a bit of peroxide spot treated for some of the dinos, running carbon, GFO, and Purigen.

There has to be a reason you grow dino's so well. HAS TO BE. Something is off somewhere.

I'm an expert at stating the obvious, and I fill in for Captain Obvious when he takes vacations.

But still ....

jedimasterben

Beats the hell out of me, though. :/

I want to use all new water (with my new DI system) when I start refilling the system, but I don't want to deliver the killing blow to the lone remaining clam. :/

I've given your tank some serious thought Ben. I can't remember exactly what happened when, but I'm going to hazard a guess and say we need to get you back to good fundamentals, starting with a couple of 40 gallon water changes and nixing any sand you may have left over. Turkey baste the shit out of every nook and cranny of the display during the two big water changes. Going forward, a 20 gallon water change every two to three days until the tank is where you want it to be. There is no contagion, mishap, or stocking issue that can't be corrected with enough fresh saltwater. No gimmicks, gadgets, or doses. You've got the lighting on lock, I really recommend taking my word on this one. Again, I'm not sure exactly what you're running otherwise, but it won't matter what your running if you hit the Dinos hard with mag and fresh water. I can't recall which brand if salt it is, but one of the cheaper ones mixes to 1400 out of the gate.

Sorry, I'm posting from my phone. I don't mean to say you haven't considered wcs or done it, I'm just coaching.

Can't say I disagree with good ol' Psycho. I always see a shit ton of tinkering in this thread. I know that is your nature and it won't change much... but it will do good to go back to basics (in every way) for a while. Get the ship steady before trying to turn it around.

Nothing right now. Stony corals are almost all gone, and no growth from the clam or remaining stonys, so no cal or alk, a bit of peroxide spot treated for some of the dinos, running carbon, GFO, and Purigen.

Okay, fair enough. So what are your parameters?

jedimasterben

I've given your tank some serious thought Ben. I can't remember exactly what happened when, but I'm going to hazard a guess and say we need to get you back to good fundamentals, starting with a couple of 40 gallon water changes and nixing any sand you may have left over. Turkey baste the shit out of every nook and cranny of the display during the two big water changes. Going forward, a 20 gallon water change every two to three days until the tank is where you want it to be. There is no contagion, mishap, or stocking issue that can't be corrected with enough fresh saltwater. No gimmicks, gadgets, or doses. You've got the lighting on lock, I really recommend taking my word on this one. Again, I'm not sure exactly what you're running otherwise, but it won't matter what your running if you hit the Dinos hard with mag and fresh water. I can't recall which brand if salt it is, but one of the cheaper ones mixes to 1400 out of the gate.

Sorry, I'm posting from my phone. I don't mean to say you haven't considered wcs or done it, I'm just coaching.

Total system volume in its current state is around 25 gallons or so, probably less than that, it has about 5" of water above the sandbed.

Saturday will begin filling the system again, as the floor will be braced on Saturday morning (which is the reason the tank is essentially completely drained).

Frankly, large water changes in what is remaining at this point may do more harm than good (I'm in that camp as it is), and I guarantee will kill the lone clam. If the issues are bacterial, no amount of water changes can fix it - it will always be present unless their food or energy source is removed.

I've always run elevated mag levels. I use Instant Ocean, and I can't remember what it mixed to (I don't do water changes), but I would keep it in the 1350-1400 range all the time. Unfortunately, dinos are different than most other pests in that elevated magnesium levels do not affect them, neither does very high salinity, alk, etc. The only things that kill them are hydrogen peroxide and starvation, which is next to impossible, and why people with dino outbreaks almost always end up breaking down the tank to beat them once and for all. I'm not giving up that easily. I've got some more Dr. Tim's stuff on the way for when I start to fill the tank again. Can't wait to have a functioning sump, skimmer, and algae scrubber again!

Can't say I disagree with good ol' Psycho. I always see a shit ton of tinkering in this thread. I know that is your nature and it won't change much... but it will do good to go back to basics (in every way) for a while. Get the ship steady before trying to turn it around.

Working on it.

Okay, fair enough. So what are your parameters?

Cal stopped around 400, alk 160, mag 1350, no3 5, po4 .04, nothing too out of the ordinary.

The bucket I've had some rock percolating in with some Dr. Tims appears to be ready. It still had some organics in the rock that I couldn't blast out with the water hose, and then accidentally got sealed up somehow and basically was putrid, but the water has finally cleared up and there is no measurable ammonia coming from it, so it looks like it may be ready to go. The water it's in is super high in DOC which the clam would love, I wish I could use it, but I don't think it's a good idea.

I'm gonna move the 40B sump back into the old stand and start filling it with RO/DI. Then I'll put my return pump in the return chamber and pipe it to go to back to the first chamber and will start mixing salt with it, that'll be 40g of water done, only need another 40g or so and it will be all filled.

jedimasterben

How's that working out?

It actually was working out pretty great until I started changing shit up.

I think the best this tank has ever seen was when I had no skimmer, no water changes, and an algae scrubber.

Archived