SaltCritters.com

NanoTopia's ZEOvit 80L [ ]

NanoTopia

Thank you! Where did you order your tubing from?

:-P

I got it at a hobby store believe it or not, I think it was fuel line for RC planes, it was cheap as far as silicone goes. I boiled it in RO water for a while to sterilize it, so far it is fine. Real silicone tubing can be sterilized and is more resistant to heat, there are different grades but really any will work fine. Nice thing about it is it doesn't kink like some plastic air hose does. Last thing you want is a kink in a dosing line. I would check the hobby stores out, amazing the things they sell in there :)

Nice Update Christine +1 with the colony!

Thank you so much :)

I noticed that you have great succes with sps (acros) so im divin head first on my edge with sps and I tryin to read all I can and ask as much as I can and hopefully have the same outcome as you with the cool growth of corals that your tank shows:)

I would not not say great success, acros have a mind of their own, even you do everything right, sometimes they just die. I would move into SPS slowly, don't buy those designed SPS at $50 an inch to start, a good healthy coral will suffice while you get comfortable with keeping SPS. Thanks for the comments :)

Grat looking creation of yours Christine 1

Thank you, thank you :)

The only time I could get a good picture of mine was feeding time, and that would usually be one arm with an eye. I managed to capture a very early morning walk it used to do from the pocilopora it spent the night in, to the seriatopora it spent the day in. Those were rare shots, especially since I caught him doing the walk of shame. :lol:

Haha, Kat your one of a kind girl, love ya. I will perform a little bait teasing with camera ready, but not now, I'm sick with a cold. Took everything I had to do WC on two tanks today. When I feel better I will get to work on that shot :)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love acans !!! I just got biten by the acan bug. Have a couPle of rainbow acans now. Chalices were my thing just traded my bugati to get cornbreads Blue crush but im no longer spending big money on a tiny piece of coral. I want sps!

• Like 1

How do you like your skimz sm121 I'm thinking about buying one for my next build in the works and throwing it on my 15g for the meantime. They look nice for how cheap.

I also was thinking an RLSS but the sm121 is cheaper and can handle more.

Love acans !!! I just got biten by the acan bug. Have a couPle of rainbow acans now. Chalices were my thing just traded my bugati to get cornbreads Blue crush but im no longer spending big money on a tiny piece of coral. I want sps!

LOL, be careful what you wish for, LOL

How do you like your skimz sm121 I'm thinking about buying one for my next build in the works and throwing it on my 15g for the meantime. They look nice for how cheap. I also was thinking an RLSS but the sm121 is cheaper and can handle more.

Well I had a big response typed up for you and I just deleted it by accident. So here's the abridged version.

Don't buy the Skimz SM121, you can PM me if you want to know why, I am happy to tell you.

Skimmers are all about the pump, the rest is fancy plastic in which almost any design will perform the same.

Spend the money and buy a skimmer with a good pump, yes you will spend more, but it should last you many years and you will be thankful you invested the money down the road.

My next skimmer will be a Beckett Skimmer, my readings have convinced me they are the best for MY system.

If you have the money, Bubble King skimmers are extremely efficient, but you are paying for the Red Dragon pump, well worth the investment IMO.

I have learned over the years that it is more cost effective to buy the best equipment now, and not settle for second best. Chances are that it will last you many years and perform above your expectations. And if you decide to sell that piece of equipment down the road, you will likely get a fair dollar for it. Good investment all around.

Can't recommend the right skimmer for you, but my best advice is listed above. :)

8468969777_48d70dbdc9_z.jpg
For some reason I like taking pictures of this Acan.

I can see "why" ... it looks in great shape and the way you took the pic is very nice too ...

Acans are great and some of them can really look spectacular but can fetch a steep price as you found out I am sure depending on their size. But then one gets what one pays for I guess. Happy reef keeping and a belated Happy Valentine's day

• Like 1
Acan Lord seemed to be a bit bloated this morning at 7:30am when the actinics came on. Couple hours later it was back to it's normal self again. Perfect opportunity for another picture of my Acan, LOL.

8476461525_4615713a2c_z.jpg

How are you feeling? No ULNS for you I hope, pump in that vitamin C and zinc, some chicken soup and lets get the show back on the road!

Getting better Kat thanks :)

I am planning a surprise photo session for my acro crabs, hopefully they will be game. :lol:

• Like 1

Pretty disappointed at my acro crabs willingness to pose. I tried everything to coax them out but this was the best I could do, better than nothing I guess. :unsure: Can you find him?

8486307000_16553aaacc_z.jpg
Pretty disappointed at my acro crabs willingness to pose. I tried everything to coax them out but this was the best I could do, better than nothing I guess. :unsure: Can you find him?

8486307000_16553aaacc_z.jpg

I see your enjoying the taking new photos. My acro crab is exactly the same way. Always quick to flare his claws at me during feeding time but always camera shy.

Can't wait to see your new acros color up. I do the same thing, but a browned out acro no one wants, get discount, bring home, and color up. Like Xmas, you never know what color it will become.

So it was suggested to me to first add boiling RO water to my GAC, let it cool off and sit a day. This is supposed to remove and organics bound up in he carbon preventing them from going in the aquarium. I tried it and it looks like I did get some organics floating on the surface (right side). This was only 75mL of KZ Carbon so the amount is minimal however, it could add up if larger quantities were used in a bigger tank.

8487129833_5de36a062d_z.jpg

I see your enjoying the taking new photos. My acro crab is exactly the same way. Always quick to flare his claws at me during feeding time but always camera shy. Can't wait to see your new acros color up. I do the same thing, but a browned out acro no one wants, get discount, bring home, and color up. Like Xmas, you never know what color it will become.

Yes I am...the new macro lens has opened up a whole new world in my aquarium. I have noticed as well that when I look at the pictures I tend to see things my eyes didn't, quite a useful tool. Some of my acros are a bit slow to colour up fully, I am playing around with KZ additives ATM trying to tweak things a little. I have some new Zeovit supplements coming I have never tried before, interesting to see if they make any difference. :)

Yes I am...the new macro lens has opened up a whole new world in my aquarium. I have noticed as well that when I look at the pictures I tend to see things my eyes didn't, quite a useful tool. Some of my acros are a bit slow to colour up fully, I am playing around with KZ additives ATM trying to tweak things a little. I have some new Zeovit supplements coming I have never tried before, interesting to see if they make any difference. :)

Do tell. Whatcha trying that's new Zeo?

I have had this single Snake Polyp for over two years now (it came from a previous tank I had). This polyp has never multiplied in all that time, not so sure I want it to. It usually only opens up at night but today, for some unknown reason, it opened up during the day. Thought I would sneak a photo of it in case this was a one off thing. I am pretty sure it is NPS.

8487125123_a8edd05676_z.jpg

Do tell. Whatcha trying that's new Zeo?

New for me, not Zeovit. I'm going to try B-Balance, this additive encourages acropora to expel some zooxanthelle, lightening the appearance of the tissue and promoting growth. I am hoping it will encourage some of the stubborn corals to colour up. Worth a try. I am also adding BioMate to my repertoire to help develop a more diverse biology in my tank, always a good thing. Keep you updated with the results at a later date :)

Nanotopia I was curious as to what issue you were having with the skimz pump? I have the 181 and it's working flawlessly so far. Is there something I should be looking out for?

When you get the b-balance, please lmk what it smells like :) ???

Nanotopia I was curious as to what issue you were having with the skimz pump? I have the 181 and it's working flawlessly so far. Is there something I should be looking out for?

When you get the b-balance, please lmk what it smells like :) ???

PM'd regarding the skimmer. I know most all the KZ products smell uniquely strange, some like easter egg colouring kits, LOL. I'll let you know. Are you using the product yourself?

Christine

B-balance doesn't smell vinegarish like the other zeovit supplements. Let me know how it works, I have a bottle that's been sitting in the cabinet for about month.

B-balance doesn't smell vinegarish like the other zeovit supplements. Let me know how it works, I have a bottle that's been sitting in the cabinet for about month.

Good to know, are you using it? Any results to report?

Christine

PM'd regarding the skimmer. I know most all the KZ products smell uniquely strange, some like easter egg colouring kits, LOL. I'll let you know. Are you using the product yourself?

Christine

Thanks for the PM. I was responding to your PM and I got a called to respond to a reefing emergency :( A buddy of mine had a clam spawn in his 220 (huge clam). We had to do almost a full water change and much carbon. Big mess! Lots of dead sps.

I am not using any KZ products. I am leery since some smell like vinegar and I don't want to carbon dose unknowingly. I hate not knowing what the active ingredients are so I typically stay away. I know many use their supplements successfully though.

I have had this single Snake Polyp for over two years now (it came from a previous tank I had). This polyp has never multiplied in all that time, not so sure I want it to. It usually only opens up at night but today, for some unknown reason, it opened up during the day. Thought I would sneak a photo of it in case this was a one off thing. I am pretty sure it is NPS.

8487125123_4f8f77e53b_z.jpg

Not sure exactly what kind of polyp this is, but it is very interesting. I wonder if you fed it regularly if it would multiply

Isaurus is typically zooxanthellate, or rather, I've never heard of any that weren't...

Archived