Coral Vue Hydros

NanoTopia's ZEOvit 80L [ ]

NanoTopia

Nano sapiens

Sorry to hear that this didn't quite work out as planned. Good news is you have a proven system that works in the Reefkeeper Lite.

Throughout the years of aquarium keeping, I have grown very fond of simplicity, whenever the desired results can be achieved.in this manner and redundancy, as in a spare heater, pump, etc..

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I have been working at a electrical schematic for my new APEX. I have implemented 2 UPS units, one that will run my main router, and one that will run my router bridge and vital equipment for approximately 45 minutes. The base Apex unit is hooked up to a separate power supply that will only serve as an indicator that power has been interrupted so that a notifying email can be sent and only vital equipment will run.

I have the moon lights indicated as vital only because they can provide some light for me to check on the tank, they are only 6 watts and will not consume much UPS power.

3 separate LED fixtures each have their own dimming driver (ELN60-48D) which will be controlled by the Apex V/S ports.

If anyone has questions or suggestions, please feel free to comment. Changes can still be made.

8344289223_4913bba1b2_b.jpg

Regards,

Christine

Wow. A tank system after my own heart. I've saw your design and and sat here smiling. I couldn't help it. :)

Sorry to read about all your troubles with the equipment. Maybe if you try to get one working and fix that, and then tackle the next one, and get that to work, etc. you can slowly get it all going as it should ...

After all the time and money you spent I sure hope you can get things under control and working properly.

Thanks, I just need more time and patience, just backing off for a while.

Sorry to hear that this didn't quite work out as planned. Good news is you have a proven system that works in the Reefkeeper Lite.

Throughout the years of aquarium keeping, I have grown very fond of simplicity, whenever the desired results can be achieved.in this manner and redundancy, as in a spare heater, pump, etc..

I've decided to keep the Apex, but it's going to be a while before I have time to get it all going, I may just hire someone to come in and work magic with it.

Wow. A tank system after my own heart. I've saw your design and and sat here smiling. I couldn't help it. :)

In threory it should all work, but it doesn't....yet !

Thanks neuwave :)

let me know if you need some questions about the Apex, i have one myself with Webcam, Text support, wireless etc. also Neptune system has their own Forums now. go to their website and check it out, RUSSM knows more then me about it. just shoot out a topic in the thread and we'll help you. Apex is a kind of like. its super good and reliable IF you know how to use it kinda thing

I have re-worked my plan a little, calling it Version 1.2. Some of the changes I have made based on suggestions are as follows:

-Moved the Tunze Pump to Apex EB8 outlet.

-Moon Lights were moved to the Switchable Power Bar.

-Moved Ethernet Bridge power directly to UPS 1300VA.

-Added D-Link Wireless Web Camara power connected directly to UPS 1300VA.

8377749458_12c30454d6_z.jpg
I think I have a basic working plan for my programming as well, always open to suggestions here:

8387101582_7f2ed347a6_z.jpg8387101496_832293061c_z.jpg
  • Like 1

I'm glad to see you haven't thrown the Apex in the trash, nor have you been arrested for disturbing the peace because you were in a drunken stupor raving about "that ####ing controller". :lol:

I can't see the photos from home, but I'll be sure to give them a look when I get home. The text part of your plan sounds good.

• Like 1

I'm glad to see you haven't thrown the Apex in the trash, nor have you been arrested for disturbing the peace because you were in a drunken stupor raving about "that ####### controller". :lol:

I can't see the photos from home, but I'll be sure to give them a look when I get home. The text part of your plan sounds good.

I so wanted to at one point. I have calmed down a little and found some motivation to begin thinking about it again :blush: . I have someone coming :wizard: to help set up the ethernet portion and wireless for me, hopefully that goes well. I never did resolve the issue with the LED drivers, I have to assume they are just oversized for my fixtures, Milad at LedGroupBuy believes the same. I have put the drivers on the NR market board for sale. I have not decided what to do regarding dimming LEDs, I may in fact replace the fixtures with a Vertex SR260 300mm LED fixture (most expensive route), this would give me full control via the fixture itself. Or I may try an Inventronics 40w driver and see if that solves the problem of flashing (least expensive route), undecided which route I want to go.

Thanks for all your support so far on this, much appreciated :bowdown:

Regards

Christine

I have inventronics on my fixture and the analog dimming works fine through pots. I haven't gotten up the energy/time/effort to hook them up to the Apex yet. Need to sit down and do it. Unfortunately, I need to make some other changes to the circuit when I do that as I want to be able to turn off each driver individually, or at least everything but the TV. I'll sit down and plan it out eventually, just not right now. Messing with water chemistry and trying to figure out dosing these days. :)

I have inventronics on my fixture and the analog dimming works fine through pots. I haven't gotten up the energy/time/effort to hook them up to the Apex yet. Need to sit down and do it. Unfortunately, I need to make some other changes to the circuit when I do that as I want to be able to turn off each driver individually, or at least everything but the TV. I'll sit down and plan it out eventually, just not right now. Messing with water chemistry and trying to figure out dosing these days. :)

The way I had planned to turn power off was by having the LEDs plugged into the EB8, I would just turn power off to the switch when the rampdown was at it's end. Anyway, it gets pretty confusing, that's why I was thinking to go with an SR260 and just add the UV module which would create a separate channel once installed. Simplicity, my new motto, LOL.

Dont worry Nanotopia you ll make everything work.

Very nice DIY and work...

Thanx Alex, these things take time and patience, I tend to run out of both of them. I am hopeful things will be up and running, minus the LED dimming, very soon.

The way I had planned to turn power off was by having the LEDs plugged into the EB8, I would just turn power off to the switch when the rampdown was at it's end. Anyway, it gets pretty confusing, that's why I was thinking to go with an SR260 and just add the UV module which would create a separate channel once installed. Simplicity, my new motto, LOL.

Hehe. Simplicity is something I try to do, but always end up making things complicated.

I like being able to have manual dimming/color mixing. But I also would like to have the ramp done by the controller. I'm thinking of getting a couple of relays between the power cord and the drivers and driving the relays based off the voltage of the control/dimming lines. If I can get it all setup right, then I wouldn't even need an EB8 outlet, but that's a big project. I still would like to do manual mixing, so I'd need some kind of control switching too. Need to work though it at some point.

Hehe. Simplicity is something I try to do, but always end up making things complicated.

I like being able to have manual dimming/color mixing. But I also would like to have the ramp done by the controller. I'm thinking of getting a couple of relays between the power cord and the drivers and driving the relays based off the voltage of the control/dimming lines. If I can get it all setup right, then I wouldn't even need an EB8 outlet, but that's a big project. I still would like to do manual mixing, so I'd need some kind of control switching too. Need to work though it at some point.

Yes, sounds confusing Veng, something is bound to fail down the line. This is why I am thinking Vertex SR260 LED. Separate controller but with the VLink you are supposed to be able to control all channels, ramp, storm, etc. This would free up 3 outlets on my EB8 as well...see how I talk myself into things omgomgomg

Yes, sounds confusing Veng, something is bound to fail down the line. This is why I am thinking Vertex SR260 LED. Separate controller but with the VLink you are supposed to be able to control all channels, ramp, storm, etc. This would free up 3 outlets on my EB8 as well...see how I talk myself into things omgomgomg

I'd enjoy the project, it would drive you crazy. That's the difference. :)

I dunno... for what it's worth, I'm in the process of replacing my 3 year old led fixtures to DIY, to be controlled by my GHL....

DIY gives you far more flexibility, to replace and modify whatever led's you choose. And I'm sure that there will better leds coming out at some point...

Hang in there, I'm sure you'll come up with something great!

I dunno... for what it's worth, I'm in the process of replacing my 3 year old led fixtures to DIY, to be controlled by my GHL....

DIY gives you far more flexibility, to replace and modify whatever led's you choose. And I'm sure that there will better leds coming out at some point...

Hang in there, I'm sure you'll come up with something great!

I know what you are saying Bello, I built a small DIY led for my pico, does the job quite well. I have thought about building a led for the 20, I think I'm just getting lazy these days, tired of trying to make everything work the way I want. I think a Vertex SR260 would do me just fine but I would be looking at $800 with a UV module add on for the 12 inch. I know I could build something for $500, for a bit more money I don't have too. Yes lazy, I know. :)

Been a while since I posted a FTS, I haven't had time to work on the tank being so busy with all the equipment upgrades. I have stopped dosing Flatworm Stop today for a while and beginning to reduce the quantities of other Zeovit products. I see no signs of AEFW now so by reducing the amount of additives I dose I should see things colour up soon. (I was dosing some of the zeovit products a bit heavy in order to help with coral recovery).

8392781038_3dc51fa2d8_z.jpg

• Like 7

I know what you are saying Bello, I built a small DIY led for my pico, does the job quite well. I have thought about building a led for the 20, I think I'm just getting lazy these days, tired of trying to make everything work the way I want. I think a Vertex SR260 would do me just fine but I would be looking at $800 with a UV module add on for the 12 inch. I know I could build something for $500, for a bit more money I don't have too. Yes lazy, I know. :)

I'd have to go look at what I spent on mine and I don't think it was even 400$ for my 20L and it's pretty damn fancy.

Have you figured out how to access apex from outside your house? Is it the wireless network bridge that's giving you problem or you can't access it even while its hardwired?

your tank is BEAutiful! Oh btw if u want something simple, dimmable, high quality, not as expensive, all around perfect LED light, look at Maxspect Razor. I have yet to see a bad review. And it has different options where u can just click a button and a Pre-made light cycle is started with full dimming, etc. Look it up. I think it would be perfect over your tank!

Gorgeous!!!

Thanks Bello :)

I'd have to go look at what I spent on mine and I don't think it was even 400$ for my 20L and it's pretty damn fancy.

If I was looking at new drivers as well I would be looking at at least $500 for what I would want it to do.

Have you figured out how to access apex from outside your house? Is it the wireless network bridge that's giving you problem or you can't access it even while its hardwired?

Indeed I have, well I should say "we" have, all is working as planned with the exception of the lights which I wanted to work off the VS ports. The Apex is fine, just the drivers that didn't work so well with my fixtures. I am now on pause with that while I decide what to do about it...try different drivers or buy a Vertex SR260 Lumina fixture.

your tank is BEAutiful! Oh btw if u want something simple, dimmable, high quality, not as expensive, all around perfect LED light, look at Maxspect Razor. I have yet to see a bad review. And it has different options where u can just click a button and a Pre-made light cycle is started with full dimming, etc. Look it up. I think it would be perfect over your tank!

Thanks Martin, thanks for the suggestion, I have heard and read about the Maxspect Razer, very nice fixture.

Been a while since I posted a FTS, I haven't had time to work on the tank being so busy with all the equipment upgrades. I have stopped dosing Flatworm Stop today for a while and beginning to reduce the quantities of other Zeovit products. I see no signs of AEFW now so by reducing the amount of additives I dose I should see things colour up soon. (I was dosing some of the zeovit products a bit heavy in order to help with coral recovery).
8392781038_3dc51fa2d8_z.jpg

Looks incredible.....awesome job christine.

• Like 1

Archived