Top Shelf Aquatics

NanoTopia's ZEOvit 80L [ ]

NanoTopia

I guess this means we should expect nothing but corals with incredible color!!!!!!

Seriously, I'd love to see how you set this up. If anybody can make this work in a nano, you can!!!!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Went FULL ZEOVIT yesterday :happydance:

This is the stock reactor pictured in the Cleartides web site:

8235422610_849dc72bb7.jpg

This is the plumbing done with Ehiem 300 pump (a larger pump could be used):

8234354195_4ffa55e180.jpg

8235417340_db14de7a0a.jpg

Nice! Ok from now on, I'm just gonna send all my DIY projects to you. :lol:

Great job on the mods to fit the nano.

Oops, just realized that you're using 200ml... That would work.

Thats probably the best looking Ato reservoir ever!

Thanks Bello, I made the top from white acrylic, the tank was bought pre-made.

I guess this means we should expect nothing but corals with incredible color!!!!!!

Seriously, I'd love to see how you set this up. If anybody can make this work in a nano, you can!!!!

This is the goal, colours are coming around nicely. I will be taking new photo's of my setup soon, just want to get it all in place first. Thanks Spirofucci ;)

Can't wait to see what the full zeovit system'll do to your corals!

New photo's are coming, just waiting until it's all finished. Thanks for following Tinola.

Nice! Ok from now on, I'm just gonna send all my DIY projects to you. :lol:

Great job on the mods to fit the nano.

Thanks neuwave, I'm not sure how I find the time to build this stuff, guess I enjoy it so I trade sleep for it :P

I can't wait until it's all done, I have completely changed my filtration department, or should I say rack. The pictures will explain it all, I will be posting some soon.

Thanks Sir Albert :) These are the Zeovit Zeolites Media.

8245985022_c186101644_z.jpg

Thanks but what I was interested in was whether they actually divulged what zeolites they are using, like clinoptilolite, or Leucite, or Thomsonite or Laumontite, or Heulandite, one of the many others. But I guess they are not giving that info out then.

And that is a super ATO you made !

Thanks but what I was interested in was whether they actually divulged what zeolites they are using, like clinoptilolite, or Leucite, or Thomsonite or Laumontite, or Heulandite, one of the many others. But I guess they are not giving that info out then.

And that is a super ATO you made !

Albert, as with all the other KZ supplements, they do not divulge the actual contents, in this case stones used in their Zeolite media. I have heard however, that the bag contains a mixture of different zeolites and they complement the specific KZ method and products.

Thank you for the complements on the ATO reservoir, I can now do away with the ugly blue water jug I have been using :)

WOW great work on this tank! I'm excited to see a full ZEO nano, and that ATO reservoir is amazing. I will definitely be following along

Albert, as with all the other KZ supplements, they do not divulge the actual contents, in this case stones used in their Zeolite media. I have heard however, that the bag contains a mixture of different zeolites and they complement the specific KZ method and products.

Thank you for the complements on the ATO reservoir, I can now do away with the ugly blue water jug I have been using :)

Yes that figures. Based on the products I had seen there is very little info on what is actually in them.

Thanks NanoTopia

WOW great work on this tank! I'm excited to see a full ZEO nano, and that ATO reservoir is amazing. I will definitely be following along

Thanks SDartifex, my revised filtration department is almost complete. Glad to have you along.

Yes that figures. Based on the products I had seen there is very little info on what is actually in them.

Thanks NanoTopia

This is true Albert, in fact it seems to be that way with quite a few supplement lines these days. I certainly would prefer to know what's in all these little blue bottles, but I am in a trusting mode these days and just going with the Zeo flow. Not sure where it will all end up but so far things are looking promising. And some good news...no sign of the invisible worms (AEFW).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just ordered 3 of these Vertex dosing Vessels, they hold 2.5 litres each. They will look great with my ATO reservoir and Profilux doser. My newly revised filtration department is almost complete :happydance:

8249690461_b6d04b358b.jpg

Photo: ©BRS

:scarry: how is the full plunge into Zeovit going Christine?

Everything is stable so far Kat. I have had some good advice from the Zeovit site regarding the switch over. I will be posting some pics soon, just have to clean up some of the mess I made in and around the tank first.

Congrats again on TOTM, your tank is looking marvellous :)

Everything is stable so far Kat. I have had some good advice from the Zeovit site regarding the switch over. I will be posting some pics soon, just have to clean up some of the mess I made in and around the tank first.

Congrats again on TOTM, your tank is looking marvellous :)

Thank you! I look forward to your pictures.

This is true Albert, in fact it seems to be that way with quite a few supplement lines these days. I certainly would prefer to know what's in all these little blue bottles, but I am in a trusting mode these days and just going with the Zeo flow. Not sure where it will all end up but so far things are looking promising. And some good news...no sign of the invisible worms (AEFW).

Yes indeed it seems like fewer and fewer manufacturers list ingredients nowadays... except the ones we are not interested in like water or protein, or such but when it comes to specialized ones their names are nowhere to be found

Glad the invisible AEFW's are nowhere to be seen :-) I guess what you are saying is that they are history ! That is good news to read indeed. Thanks

Hey Christine... Was wondering how did you actually make the switch to Zeo?

I mean, are you running biopellets side by side temporarily, or did you take off bp's completely, and go straight zeo? Any initial observations with the changes?

Hey Christine... Was wondering how did you actually make the switch to Zeo?

I mean, are you running biopellets side by side temporarily, or did you take off bp's completely, and go straight zeo? Any initial observations with the changes?

I took off the bio-pellets about a week before starting the Zeo. Kept a close eye on nutrients, actually had no increase. Because the system was already low nutrient, implementing the zeo posed little risk in shocking corals with declining PO4 etc. My issue with the pellets was too low nutrients, starving corals. The main thing is to watch the corals carefully during the process, everything should be okay. Again, the main risk is a rapid drop in nutrients which can cause STN/RTN of corals. Some people have the opposite happen, nutrients gradually increase until the Zeo can catch up. This can also cause a nutrient swing in the system and shock corals.

The main thing is to watch corals and be patient, this is what I am doing ATM. So far the switch has been uneventful (knock on wood) :)

Good idea... I think the fact that you were already ulns and not overstocked with fish definitely helped. Would imagine that you would at the most see mild inceases in nutrients while zeo takes hold. Certainly a better option than running side by side and inducing starvation. Makes sense. Glad to see its working out well, but its definitely scary :D .

I have wondered sometimes, if i should stop zeo and go biopellets, for no other reason apart from cost. It adds up really quick on large tanks. But the level of control with zeo is awesome, and i've barely begun. I ended up STNing my sps with bps when i tried it out on the drop off.

Goof luck :D

Good idea... I think the fact that you were already ulns and not overstocked with fish definitely helped. Would imagine that you would at the most see mild inceases in nutrients while zeo takes hold. Certainly a better option than running side by side and inducing starvation. Makes sense. Glad to see its working out well, but its definitely scary :D .

I have wondered sometimes, if i should stop zeo and go biopellets, for no other reason apart from cost. It adds up really quick on large tanks. But the level of control with zeo is awesome, and i've barely begun. I ended up STNing my sps with bps when i tried it out on the drop off.

Goof luck :D

I find bio-pellets remove too much nutrient from the system. They are better on bigger tanks with high nutrient loads, more forgiving. Zeo can easily handle the nutrient load of a lightly fish stocked nano tank.

Christine

I find bio-pellets remove too much nutrient from the system. They are better on bigger tanks with high nutrient loads, more forgiving. Zeo can easily handle the nutrient load of a lightly fish stocked nano tank.

Christine

Did you notice any issues with Nutrient levels becoming 'too' low with the possible adverse effects of ULNS systems where in tanks with a fairly good load of corals not enough nutrients are available any longer ?

I posted an article on ULNS systems to my thread which you probably read but others may not have. Here is the link to it for those interested :

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=4108283

Did you notice any issues with Nutrient levels becoming 'too' low with the possible adverse effects of ULNS systems where in tanks with a fairly good load of corals not enough nutrients are available any longer ?

I posted an article on ULNS systems to my thread which you probably read but others may not have. Here is the link to it for those interested :

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=4108283

Yes, absolutely, this is very possible when using too much GFO or bio-pellets for example. Grossly oversized skimmers will strip the water of nutrients and elements as well. Water that is "too clean" is not beneficial to corals at all. I have run into problems in the past with not having enough nutrients for corals to thrive, even survive in some cases. Tissue becomes lighter (bleaches), PE and feeding response diminishes, tissue becomes thinner in some cases and eventually STN/RTN will occur. I also believe corals become more stressed and sensitive to light, often bleaching under light that would normally be suitable for them.

Ultra Low Nutrient System (ULNS) suggests nutrients are kept low but not absent. I don't like the "Ultra" part in the acronym really, it seems to suggest nutrients need to be undetectable, this is not a good thing. Corals need some PO4 and NO3 in the water along with minerals and particulate foods. There is a fine line between ultra low and absent. Most hobby test kits are not accurate enough to distinguish between the two.

Zeovit methodology suggests ULNS will allow stony corals to display their "true" colours. This is true but there are a multitude of additives used with this system that continually nourish the corals keeping them one step away from starvation. In many cases these additives adequately feed the corals without polluting the water and causing problematic algae, and other problems - if used correctly and a balance is achieved. I believe the Zeovit system replicates NSW as close as you can in a closed environment. The trick is using the system correctly with the right balance of additives, something I have yet to accomplish. This system takes time to master but when you do, the result is truly amazing.

Christine

Yes, absolutely, this is very possible when using too much GFO or bio-pellets for example. Grossly oversized skimmers will strip the water of nutrients and elements as well. Water that is "too clean" is not beneficial to corals at all. I have run into problems in the past with not having enough nutrients for corals to thrive, even survive in some cases. Tissue becomes lighter (bleaches), PE and feeding response diminishes, tissue becomes thinner in some cases and eventually STN/RTN will occur. I also believe corals become more stressed and sensitive to light, often bleaching under light that would normally be suitable for them.

Ultra Low Nutrient System (ULNS) suggests nutrients are kept low but not absent. I don't like the "Ultra" part in the acronym really, it seems to suggest nutrients need to be undetectable, this is not a good thing. Corals need some PO4 and NO3 in the water along with minerals and particulate foods. There is a fine line between ultra low and absent. Most hobby test kits are not accurate enough to distinguish between the two.

Zeovit methodology suggests ULNS will allow stony corals to display their "true" colours. This is true but there are a multitude of additives used with this system that continually nourish the corals keeping them one step away from starvation. In many cases these additives adequately feed the corals without polluting the water and causing problematic algae, and other problems - if used correctly and a balance is achieved. I believe the Zeovit system replicates NSW as close as you can in a closed environment. The trick is using the system correctly with the right balance of additives, something I have yet to accomplish. This system takes time to master but when you do, the result is truly amazing.

Christine

Thanks for your response and I am aware of what happens when nutrient levels become too low, especially when the bioload is fairly heavy.

My question really was whether you had experienced any negative effects due to the nutrient levels being too low and you answered that and you also pointed out that you are still working on finding how to use the system correctly.

The interesting passage in the article I linked was the section that dealt with corals displaying "pastel" colors. Did you see any of that happening in your tank?

The interesting passage in the article I linked was the section that dealt with corals displaying "pastel" colors. Did you see any of that happening in your tank?

The pastel colours are really just created from less zooxanthelle in the coral tissue, in a low nutrient environment. Some people, including me think the corals look too faded and some lack the rich, deep colours. I would not say that I have achieved the pastel coloration you speak of Albert, however some corals have definitely lightened up and are beginning to show signs of "the pastel look". The tank can take up to 6 months to display the full results of the Zeovit system.

The pastel colours are really just created from less zooxanthelle in the coral tissue, in a low nutrient environment. Some people, including me think the corals look too faded and some lack the rich, deep colours. I would not say that I have achieved the pastel coloration you speak of Albert, however some corals have definitely lightened up and are beginning to show signs of "the pastel look". The tank can take up to 6 months to display the full results of the Zeovit system.

What I am not clear about and maybe it is because I have not read enough material about the system is why you would want pastel colors. I thought the whole idea was to get vibrant colors, but maybe that is step 2 of the system. Guess that when I have completed the book (nearly there btw) I will have to read up more about the Zeovit system specifically rather than what I have done which is read up on ulns in general.

Newest addition: Acropora echinata

8259469530_41f35d40e5_z.jpg

Reminds me of a tenuis almost, I thought echinatas had a more single thin branch look.

AussieSuperBlueTippedEchinata-150RETAKE.jpg

Archived