inTank Media Baskets

NanoTopia's ZEOvit 80L [ ]

NanoTopia

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always sad when you lose a fish, especially one that you've had for a long time :(

Looks like some good growth on the millie. Any hints as to what color it is turning towards?

Sorry to hear about the chromis christine :(

Thanks

Always sad when you lose a fish, especially one that you've had for a long time :(

Looks like some good growth on the millie. Any hints as to what color it is turning towards?

Thanks, I think it will go more red (ish) in colour, maybe more of a red/brown, who knows :).

Kfmmartin19

Thanks

Thanks, I think it will go more red (ish) in colour, maybe more of a red/brown, who knows :).

awww sorry to hear about the chromis. How's he doing?

awww sorry to hear about the chromis. How's he doing?

He is not looking good, can't figure out what's going on with him, he has no outward signs of anything and he is breathing normally. But he has not eaten in almost a week :(

What's the name of this coral? I didn't see it under live stock. Pretty sweet looking!

Not sure of the exact name but it is a favia, I gave it away a long time ago along with a bunch of LPS to make room for more SPS. Thanks for asking about it, the colours were pretty cool.

Grrrrreeeeat tank as always!!! Beautiful!

Thanks, and good to hear from you, you need to spend more time here on NR and set up a tank thread ! Couldn't find you on that "other" site, I did look :)

Kfmmartin19
He is not looking good, can't figure out what's going on with him, he has no outward signs of anything and he is breathing normally. But he has not eaten in almost a week :(

Not sure of the exact name but it is a facia, I gave it away a long time ago along with a bunch of LPS to make room for more SPS. Thanks for asking about it, the colours were pretty cool.

U try soaking food in garlic?

I can't think of anything else unless it has some kind of internal parasite. But u would think there'd be more symptoms. Changed anything with the tank recently?

Thanks, and good to hear from you, you need to spend more time here on NR and set up a tank thread ! Couldn't find you on that "other" site, I did look :)

Good to hear from you too, I stop by to check on updates of your tank for inspiration!

I will do a thread, would like to hear your input on how my system is doing, especially the sps. As I had mentioned, want to upgrade to a bigger tank, which now should be 48"x16x16...maybe will do a thread of the new one instead.

I'll be tagging along to hear from you!

U try soaking food in garlic? I can't think of anything else unless it has some kind of internal parasite. But u would think there'd be more symptoms. Changed anything with the tank recently?

I think I have figured out the chromis is now blind or has difficult seeing. I have tried to target feed him with mysis and tongs but nothing. He seems quite disorientated. I am guessing it may be Uronema marinum, I have seen the parasite attack the brain before the internal organs. I have seen this twice where the fish actually swims erratically upside down crashing into things, pretty terrible to watch. If I see this I will euthanize him as I don't want him to suffer. I lost all my chromis to this Uronema marinum a year ago, but this guy survived unaffected for at least a year, now for no reason he gets it (if that's what it is). Strange but I read this parasite can live indefinitely in the tank without a host. Looks like that may be true.

This is the reason I now QT everything that goes in my tank.

Today might be the day I pull him :(

Good to hear from you too, I stop by to check on updates of your tank for inspiration!

I will do a thread, would like to hear your input on how my system is doing, especially the sps. As I had mentioned, want to upgrade to a bigger tank, which now should be 48"x16x16...maybe will do a thread of the new one instead.

I'll be tagging along to hear from you!

Thanks Reefcowboy, stop by any time and send me a PM if you need anything :)

Awww, sorry to hear about that Christine :( You're doing the right thing though by making sure he doesn't suffer any longer.

Kfmmartin19
I think I have figured out the chromis is now blind or has difficult seeing. I have tried to target feed him with mysis and tongs but nothing. He seems quite disorientated. I am guessing it may be Uronema marinum, I have seen the parasite attack the brain before the internal organs. I have seen this twice where the fish actually swims erratically upside down crashing into things, pretty terrible to watch. If I see this I will euthanize him as I don't want him to suffer. I lost all my chromis to this Uronema marinum a year ago, but this guy survived unaffected for at least a year, now for no reason he gets it (if that's what it is). Strange but I read this parasite can live indefinitely in the tank without a host. Looks like that may be true.

This is the reason I now QT everything that goes in my tank.

Today might be the day I pull him :(

Thanks Reefcowboy, stop by any time and send me a PM if you need anything :)

That sucks. Is there any known cure?

That sucks. Is there any known cure?

Only if it is caught before any signs show up. Generally it has to be caught in QT when acquiring the fish. Something that I never did 2 years ago with these fish. I Quarantine everything now, lesson learned :unsure:

As far as I know, this Uronema marinum is popular with Chromis and usually the fish that introduces it into your aquarium, once in, other fish can get it as well. It does not require a host to survive and can live a long time (maybe forever) in aquaria.

:excl: Not Quarantining your fish is equivalent to not giving your other pets all their required vaccinations.

Christine

Kfmmartin19
Only if it is caught before any signs show up. Generally it has to be caught in QT when acquiring the fish. Something that I never did 2 years ago with these fish. I Quarantine everything now, lesson learned :unsure:

As far as I know, this Uronema marinum is popular with Chromis and usually the fish that introduces it into your aquarium, once in, other fish can get it as well. It does not require a host to survive and can live a long time (maybe forever) in aquaria.

:excl: Not Quarantining your fish is equivalent to not giving your other pets all their required vaccinations.

Christine

Wow that's awful! Never even heard of that before. I think I'm understanding the importance of QTing now and I'm definitely not gonna just throw a fish in and hope for the best again! How is your wrasse doing?

I'm sorry to hear of the chromis trouble. :(

Thanks Kat, he is the last survivor of the original chromis clan.

Wow that's awful! Never even heard of that before. I think I'm understanding the importance of QTing now and I'm definitely not gonna just throw a fish in and hope for the best again! How is your wrasse doing?

The wrasse is fine, thanks for asking. Yes QT is the solution to many reefers troubles down the road. It's really important to put healthy fish, free of parasites or any diseases, into your aquarium.

Christine,

Sad to hear about your chromis, I know this one was with you for a long time. if i remember well you used to have a school of like 4 or 5 a few years ago and that one might have stuck with you for all that time. On the positive side, in your reef, less fish will be a good thing. I've had only a clown and chromis in my 20 for a few months and wow, what a difference having a light bioload makes in the appearance and health of corals. What regimen is your tank under now? I believe you stopped some of the zeo products, so was curious what you plan to do

Christine, Sad to hear about your chromis, I know this one was with you for a long time. if i remember well you used to have a school of like 4 or 5 a few years ago and that one might have stuck with you for all that time. On the positive side, in your reef, less fish will be a good thing. I've had only a clown and chromis in my 20 for a few months and wow, what a difference having a light bioload makes in the appearance and health of corals. What regimen is your tank under now? I believe you stopped some of the zeo products, so was curious what you plan to do

Thanks, the chromis had a good life just not a long one. I am still experimenting with the different KZ products, they all do something different. Some of the products overlap a little so it's just a matter of trying them and figuring out which ones work best for you. I think I have tried almost all of their products now, at this point I feel the following are the most beneficial for me (in no particular order):

ZEObak

Start3

Coral Vitalizer

K-Balance

Sponge Power

Pohl's Xtra

Amino Acid Hard Coral (AAHC)

Coral Snow

Zeolites

KZ Carbon

I have just started using BIOmate and B-Balance so it's too early to have an opinion on those. Flatworm Stop is a thread in itself, I have used it for almost a year now, and like most Zeovit fans have little to say about it. No one knows if it is beneficial or not. A lot of hype when it came out, now you never hear about it. Coral Booster is another one of those KZ products that never really took off, hard to even find a store that stocks it. I gave it a try when I started dosing Flatworm Stop, as they were supposed to complement each other. Most people who have been using KZ products for a long time have settled in on just a few of their products, I see myself doing the same. Won't do Flatworm Stop, Coral Booster again, and I am on the fence with K-Balance - might just go with a good pure potassium product in the future, undecided.

Overall I am very happy with Zeovit but it's a bit early to judge it, you need a good 6+ months to see the full benefits.

Christine

Kfmmartin19
Thanks, the chromis had a good life just not a long one. I am still experimenting with the different KZ products, they all do something different. Some of the products overlap a little so it's just a matter of trying them and figuring out which ones work best for you. I think I have tried almost all of their products now, at this point I feel the following are the most beneficial for me (in no particular order):

ZEObak

Start3

Coral Vitalizer

K-Balance

Sponge Power

Pohl's Xtra

Amino Acid Hard Coral (AAHC)

Coral Snow

Zeolites

KZ Carbon

I have just started using BIOmate and B-Balance so it's too early to have an opinion on those. Flatworm Stop is a thread in itself, I have used it for almost a year now, and like most Zeovit fans have little to say about it. No one knows if it is beneficial or not. A lot of hype when it came out, now you never hear about it. Coral Booster is another one of those KZ products that never really took off, hard to even find a store that stocks it. I gave it a try when I started dosing Flatworm Stop, as they were supposed to complement each other. Most people who have been using KZ products for a long time have settled in on just a few of their products, I see myself doing the same. Won't do Flatworm Stop, Coral Booster again, and I am on the fence with K-Balance - might just go with a good pure potassium product in the future, undecided.

Overall I am very happy with Zeovit but it's a bit early to judge it, you need a good 6+ months to see the full benefits.

Christine

Did the chromis pass? Think u will get another fish?

Did the chromis pass? Think u will get another fish?

No he is still in the display, I grab the net and head toward the tank then I just can't do it. The wrasse keeps coming over to him to check him out, sometimes gives him a light push like he's trying to say, "come on man, just snap out of it." :(

If I don't do it he's going to end up in the MP10, that's not how I want to see him go. I guess it's tonight then, so sad.

Kfmmartin19
No he is still in the display, I grab the net and head toward the tank then I just can't do it. The wrasse keeps coming over to him to check him out, sometimes gives him a light push like he's trying to say, "come on man, just snap out of it." :(

If I don't do it he's going to end up in the MP10, that's not how I want to see him go. I guess it's tonight then, so sad.

aww I'm really sorry to hear that! Besides looking a bit crazed and blind is he looking skinny or have any other physical problems?

aww I'm really sorry to hear that! Besides looking a bit crazed and blind is he looking skinny or have any other physical problems?

Thanks for your concern, he is not skinny and I cannot see any signs of external parasites or bac infection. I have not seen him eat in a week but he was fat before all this so he has some reserves. I am sure he is blind now, no response to my hand or any other stimuli. I don't think there is any chance he would regain sight so there is only one option. Eventually he will get sucked into the MP10, I don't want him to die that way so I will take him out later tonight.

Kfmmartin19
Thanks for your concern, he is not skinny and I cannot see any signs of external parasites or bac infection. I have not seen him eat in a week but he was fat before all this so he has some reserves. I am sure he is blind now, no response to my hand or any other stimuli. I don't think there is any chance he would regain sight so there is only one option. Eventually he will get sucked into the MP10, I don't want him to die that way so I will take him out later tonight.

That really sucks. Fish deaths r always worse than coral for me even if they were 1/10 the price.

Have you thought about isolating the Chromis in a small quarantine/hospital setup and spot feeding him for the time being? Maybe some really healthy food soaked in vitamins? And as soon as you know he is eating, maybe medicate or hypo?

I'm not sure if there is anything medication-wise to help though :unsure:

Archived