Innovative Marine Aquariums

NanoTopia's ZEOvit 80L [ ]

NanoTopia

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful pics! Don't know if its been asked before but may I know your Camera & Lens details?

Still messing around with my D3100, and need to learn..... a lot!!!

Beautiful pics! Don't know if its been asked before but may I know your Camera & Lens details?

Still messing around with my D3100, and need to learn..... a lot!!!

Thanks Bello :)

I am using the D3000 with a 40mm Micro Nikkor 2.8G.

8576763374_81bf97e109_m.jpg

Exif data for photo above:

Camera Nikon D3000

Lens AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm f/2.8G

Exposure 0.01 sec (1/100)

Aperture f/7.1

Focal Length 40 mm

ISO Speed 800

Mode RAW

Exposure Bias 0 EV

Flash No Flash

X-Resolution 300 dpi

Y-Resolution 300 dpi

Orientation Horizontal (normal)

Software Nikon Transfer 1.5 M / Adobe PS

Exposure Program Manual

Metering Mode Center-weighted average

Light Source LED

Colour Space Uncalibrated

Sensing Method One-chip color area

Exposure Mode Manual

White Balance Auto (adjusted post editing Adobe PS)

Subject Distance Range Unknown

Creator Tool Nikon Transfer 1.5 M / Adobe

Just poppin in for an updated FTS :)..

I have that same purple gorg, love it, and can really take a beating from the vortechs. Sorry to hear about the fishy.. I've lost 2 chromis recently also.. one in quarantine, it was fine when I got home, then saw him having difficulty swimming after lights out. The other I just lost on Monday. No idea what happened to him, he just went missing in the big tank.... and then there were 3..

Good advice on the float switch in the skimmer cup.. I've not had a flood yet, but came close. I used some epoxy in the tank and my skimmer reacted violently, just about blew the lid off from all the foam and water was starting to pour down the sides. It does have a drain to shut the air supply off but that apparently doesn't seem to work very well at reducing the amount of bubbles the bubble blaster puts out.

When I put the gorg in initially it stayed closed for a few days, I was getting concerned for it, then it opened up and has been happy since. They do like a lot of flow and phytoplankton. I believe the Chromis are prone to disease, I have heard so many people having issues with them, may just be a coincidence though.

Yes, a float switch in the cup works quite well, I don't use it personally since I skim dry and have an in-sump skimmer however, if someone has a HOB skimmer I would highly recommend a float switch in the cup. Of course you need a reliable controller to go with. Really saves the floor :)

god i miss my macro lens...

I admit, I absolutely LOVE it. 40mm is a bit wide but for a nano tank it works quite well. For a bigger tank I would go ~105mm. If I shoot ISO <400 I can crop quite a bit with the 40mm, but if you want close-ups of pods you have to get some serious glass :)

Going to try and culture some bugs :scarry:

Bought a bottle of Reef Nutrition Live Tigger Pods Tigriopus californicus, following the directions supplied by Reef Nutrition. I am feeding phytoplankton. I put a few in the back of the pico tank incase I loose the main culture. This is a video of the pods still in the original bottle, I have moved them to a new container with slow aeration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pR8INdUreI

:)

I think that is the lens that I was looking at purchasing. The photos look amazing ! Makes me want to order one up right now. I just can't justify spending almost 1k for the 105mm nikkon.

Thanks for the info Christine. :)

With these pics, I'm just inspired to up my limited photography skills!!... Maybe even buy me a macro... Great! More ways to spend money!

I think that is the lens that I was looking at purchasing. The photos look amazing ! Makes me want to order one up right now. I just can't justify spending almost 1k for the 105mm nikkon.

Thanks, I think you can do with a 60mm Nikkor, I think they can be had for around $550, not so bad, I paid $300 new for the 40mm and I am very pleased with the results.

Thanks for the info Christine. :)

With these pics, I'm just inspired to up my limited photography skills!!... Maybe even buy me a macro... Great! More ways to spend money!

It never ends I know, it just figures two of the most expensive hobbies out there go together, haha. I have spent way too much this year on this hobby and were only on month 3 ! Now my Apex EB8 module will be here tomorrow, I now have $$$ into the Apex alone, I need some serious help , maybe detox from this addiction for a while, haha omgomgomg

Send some pods my way :happy:

My tank looks so desolate without any life right now :( (well life that I can see with my eye anyways)

Do you have any regrets not going with the 60mm ?

I suppose I would have a little better control for objects at the back of my tank, but with a 20 gallon it's not a big deal. Like I said, if I had a bigger tank I would go with 60mm, maybe 105mm. No regrets for me, I checked out the 60mm in the store against the 40mm, I went with the 40 because I don't like to have to back up from the glass too much due to reflections etc. That's something I would have to do if I went with the 60 and wanted to take shots of corals in the front of my tank. I guess it really matters how much of a close-up you want to get without having to crop. If you want to shoot pods in your tank I would go with 105mm.

Send some pods my way :happy:

My tank looks so desolate without any life right now :( (well life that I can see with my eye anyways)

You wouldn't see 100,000 pods from two feet away, you need some mini Acro colonies in there :P

I will send you some pods when they multiply, get your sump stocked :)

You wouldn't see 100,000 pods from two feet away, you need some mini Acro colonies in there :P

Blast! Okay i'll just have to wait to get some other life in there :lol:

Love the Macro photos BTW. Truly outstanding.

You do know what happens when we stay away from our tanks, right?......This -> :scarry:. Don't think we can ever detox :lol: .

Anyway, usually I make fun of my photographer/reefer geek friend for spending money on lenses instead of coral, but now I'm chasing him down for tips! Looks like I'll need the 105mm Macro for my larger tanks. A bit too much right now though :( .

I've pretty much, not bought myself a new car, because I can't justify spending sooo much on this :(

You do know what happens when we stay away from our tanks, right?......This -> :scarry:. Don't think we can ever detox :lol: .

Anyway, usually I make fun of my photographer/reefer geek friend for spending money on lenses instead of coral, but now I'm chasing him down for tips! Looks like I'll need the 105mm Macro for my larger tanks. A bit too much right now though :( .

I've pretty much, not bought myself a new car, because I can't justify spending sooo much on this :(

I hear you. It seems anything I like outside of reefing is pretty darn expensive. Televisions/Home Theater, Macs, Photography, Nice furniture... Gah! Lenses are truly expensive though.

I ordered some reverse-lens adapters for taking some Macro shots, so we'll see how that works. They were under $2 each and free shipping, so I figured "why not?!" You could always look into that Bello. My brother always choses different brands than me, so right now he uses Olympus cameras, and wants to move to Nikon. i have a Canon, so i'm trying to convince him to get one too, so we can share lenses from time to time!

Christine, How are the pod cultures going? It's crazy how fast they move!

That's what my friend was saying, to use the reverse adapters. Will give that a try.

Thankfully, we're pretty good friends, and he has Nikon too, and a whole bunch of lenses..... Hmm, maybe I could live with just borrowing ;)

I hear you. It seems anything I like outside of reefing is pretty darn expensive. Televisions/Home Theater, Macs, Photography, Nice furniture... Gah! Lenses are truly expensive though.

I ordered some reverse-lens adapters for taking some Macro shots, so we'll see how that works. They were under $2 each and free shipping, so I figured "why not?!" You could always look into that Bello. My brother always choses different brands than me, so right now he uses Olympus cameras, and wants to move to Nikon. i have a Canon, so i'm trying to convince him to get one too, so we can share lenses from time to time!

Christine, How are the pod cultures going? It's crazy how fast they move!

So far they are hanging in there, I understand it takes a few weeks to get offspring happening. Thanks for asking. I will send some your way when I get a good quantity :)

Hi Christine, have you used coral vitalizer and phols? Any good things to say about those products? Thank you

Hi Kat, Yea I have used both now for some time. Coral Vitalizer and Pohl's Xtra are two of several solid products that KZ puts out. If used in a low nutrient system they work to improve growth, but too much use of the product has a detrimental effect on the reef so they should be used sparingly. Pohl's Xtra will cause SPS to darken, CV is a food for SPS and overdosing will cause algae and increase in nutrient levels.

Zeovit has a few long term tried and tested products out there,Coral Vitalizer, Pohl's Xtra, K-Balance, B-Balance, Potassium Iodide Flouride, Amino Acid Hard Coral, ZeoBak, and a few others. Some products are relatively new on the market, some are reporting good things from those ones but not many have tried them.

Kat, try Pohl's Xtra first if you like, dose half the recommended amount on the bottle. If you see a positive change in corals you will know it is from this one product. Then start using CV. By dosing one at a time you get to see what each one does, and what the overdose signs are.

Christine

Christene I've used CV many times over the years and I know it works wonders to increase polyp extension. I never tried xtra. DId you see deeper colors after dosing? Does the product have a smell/color?

Christene I've used CV many times over the years and I know it works wonders to increase polyp extension. I never tried xtra. DId you see deeper colors after dosing? Does the product have a smell/color?

Hey Podpimp, I have noticed some darkening if Pohl's Xtra is overdosed, otherwise it will increase growth of corals. I have not been able to single out if Xtra aids in PE as I dose so many KZ products. I find I have good PE when nutrients are not too low in the tank. I feed CV, Amino Acids, Phyto, Sponge Power, these combined seem to satisfy the Acros quite nicely. Pohl's Xtra is clear and smells like paint a bit, can't really describe it, but it is not overpowering.

Looks like things are coming along very well here. I will be starting a full zeo setup on my system. Any advice for a beginner to zeovit?

Looks like things are coming along very well here. I will be starting a full zeo setup on my system. Any advice for a beginner to zeovit?

Don't follow the directions on the ZEOvit bottles, do your research on the Zeovit site for dosing recommendations. :)

bobssecrtsn

Hello Christine, Hows your tank coming along? your in need of a FTS btw!

I just finished dosing my tank of Interceptor for 2 the second week now, Im happy to comfirm that i see no trace of blackbugs in site!

Hello Christine, Hows your tank coming along? your in need of a FTS btw!

I just finished dosing my tank of Interceptor for 2 the second week now, Im happy to comfirm that i see no trace of blackbugs in site!

Yea, I know I need a FTS, I think it has been a couple of months now.

Any issues with corals or anything else after dosing Interceptor? Glad to know it looks to be working for you, very good news Bob :)

bobssecrtsn

The fishes are good and the acros are doing a heck of alot better, acouple of acros that did not have P/E are showing. Besides Shrimps and hermits dead everything is AOK!

Archived