inTank Media Baskets

AquaStyleOnline Club

basicfisherman

jedimasterben
Just wondering if anyone has a spare piece of CoolBlue that they can ship to me in SouthEast Asia? Paypal & envelope shipping?

I just need 1 as suggested by JediMaster for my 12g Nanocube. LedGroupBuy ships internationally at ridiculous price of USD40 for a $1.99 single led *gulp*

Yeah, it's a bit crazy just for a single LED. I think you might can forgo that one at this point lol.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben
My Sol Blue w/ Controller should get here Monday, very excited!

.... and youre posting that in the thread about diy setups from aquastyle why?

.... and youre posting that in the thread about diy setups from aquastyle why?

Sorry I posted in the wrong place, my apologies.

Yeah, it's a bit crazy just for a single LED. I think you might can forgo that one at this point lol.

Yea, I suppose.

So should I forgo Cyan and deep red altogether too?

For my 10G nanocube, as recommended I'll be getting

6 NW

9 RB

2 true violet.

Not too sure if it's suitable to add cyan n deep red to this mix.

Plz advise

Finally finished my build. Full spectrum. Running it on low cause my coral were under t5s for a year.

Got that purple I was after.

Can I email someone some pics to upload? I'm on a mobile and its acting up.

Finally finished my build. Full spectrum. Running it on low cause my coral were under t5s for a year.

Got that purple I was after.

Can I email someone some pics to upload? I'm on a mobile and its acting up.

Do you have a computer to post some pics now? I'd like to see, and maybe some of the wire connections between the LEDS?

My cool blue LEDs came in today. Going to get someone to help with the soldering and maybe they'll have the soldering iron so I won't have to buy one. I'm still looking for some pics of the wire connections in a cluster layout to get an idea on how it should look.

I'll make sure to take pictures :)

Do you have a computer to post some pics now? I'd like to see, and maybe some of the wire connections between the LEDS?

My cool blue LEDs came in today. Going to get someone to help with the soldering and maybe they'll have the soldering iron so I won't have to buy one. I'm still looking for some pics of the wire connections in a cluster layout to get an idea on how it should look.

I'll make sure to take pictures :)

I don't sadly. I'd gladly email some pics of the clusters and tank. Looks awesome. My clown glows as does my coral under the leds. I'll also send a pic of the heatsink and fixture I built over my tank :)

Ohh this looks like a very cheap and good LED option. I'm gettinglights for my 12x12x12 cube so I think this would fit being 7.1x11.9 inches:

http://www.aquastyleonline.com/products/Aq...mmable-Kit.html

& moonlights of course;):

http://www.aquastyleonline.com/products/Moonlight-kit.html

Now if I purchase that would I need optics since its almost already the whole length of my tank? And also what color combo's should I get?

The other option is just buying this bulb:

http://www.aquastyleonline.com/products/Aq...light--LED.html

So which would you recommend most, and would either of those be overkill for the tank? Thanks a lot!

jedimasterben

why would you bump a thread a bit over an hour after you post? completely unnecessary.

read the last few pages and youll see the general consensus of the configuration you picked, along with recommendations on color combinations and such.

albertthiel
Ohh this looks like a very cheap and good LED option. I'm gettinglights for my 12x12x12 cube so I think this would fit being 7.1x11.9 inches:

http://www.aquastyleonline.com/products/Aq...mmable-Kit.html

& moonlights of course;):

http://www.aquastyleonline.com/products/Moonlight-kit.html

Now if I purchase that would I need optics since its almost already the whole length of my tank? And also what color combo's should I get?

The other option is just buying this bulb:

http://www.aquastyleonline.com/products/Aq...light--LED.html

So which would you recommend most, and would either of those be overkill for the tank? Thanks a lot!

Looked at the last one and wonder if two or three of those would be ok for a 20G High

JediMaster Ben .... any suggestions on this ... it's the one in the last link

Albert

Mm sorry for the early bump, I often have too many tabs open and forget to check when I posted something, please excuse me. But yeah I haven't seen anything on the bulb..unless I'm just missing it. But would one work over my 7gallon?

jedimasterben
Mm sorry for the early bump, I often have too many tabs open and forget to check when I posted something, please excuse me. But yeah I haven't seen anything on the bulb..unless I'm just missing it. But would one work over my 7gallon?

its not the bulb i was talking about, it was the leds themselves. do some reading on the last few pages and you will see why i would recommend not even thinking about those par38 bulbs.

Okay I see. So does this seem good to you, tell me if I'm making a fool of myself or something hah.

14 LED kit 7blue 7white ( ask Ray to swap the 10k white for 4500k, and swap out the 2 bigger drivers for three smaller meanwell LPC-35-700, and an extra potentionmeter? probably have to pay extra for that switch.)

I'd run 16 LED's:

4 groupings of:

4 neutral white

4 royal blue

2 clusters of:

2deep red

2true violet

2cool blue

2cyan

and the three strips of moonlights (each little strip has three blue LED's)

I'd run the whites on one driver, the royal blues on another, and the full spectrum on another is what I'm trying to get at but I'm worthless when it comes to figuring out lights and please try and keep your temper me if I'm being stupid:P. here's kinda what I was planning on for placing the LED's. This is totally free-handed and no measurements were taken:

3x4jL.png

Now my tank is 12x12x12, and I plan to have it pretty close to the tank, so what should I do for optics, none? Also what should I be able to support with this light, sps maybe? Well thank for reading, and it'd be cool if you could tell me what I'm missing or how I'm messing up (in a nice way if you can). Sorry I'm a fail!

jedimasterben

If your tank is 12"x12"x12", I would do:

4x NW 4500k

6x RB

1x deep red

1x cool blue (maybe look for someone selling them on the forum, otherwise you'll have to order two from LEDGroupBuy)

1x cyan

2x violet (NOT UV)

The Meanwel LPC series of drivers are not dimmable - just making you aware of that. This isn't a problem for some, but others it is. If that is ok, then run half of the LEDs on one driver and half on the other. You won't have to worry about how you're wiring, just do half and half.

Don't worry about spreading them out. Cluster them as absolutely tightly as possible in the center of the heatsink and center over the tank. Put the exotics in the dead center and the others all around them, leaving no space in between. And you can get the smallest heatsink you can find - if you can't find a good one, go to heatsinkUSA.com and grab a 6"x6" heatsink and use that. Don't want the heatsink to be larger than your tank is, it would look funny ;)

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask, myself or another on the thread will chime in and give a hand.

But wait, should I just go with no optics? And if I get the maxwellen driver, should I get three to be able to dim the three different groups?

jedimasterben
But wait, should I just go with no optics? And if I get the maxwellen driver, should I get three to be able to dim the three different groups?

There aren't enough LEDs to do that. The drivers need a minimum of 7 LEDs per driver to dim them down, you're only going to have enough to run two drivers.

How high are you hanging the fixture? If less than 12" above the tank, no optics, but you will have light spill out into the room the tank is in.

Oh I see. Well, I think I've got this figured out...but just to ask, in your opinion what would be the best route? A LEDTRiC PAR38 bulb full spectrum, or this little DIY setup? They both come out to about the same price, around 140$.

jedimasterben
Oh I see. Well, I think I've got this figured out...but just to ask, in your opinion what would be the best route? A LEDTRiC PAR38 bulb full spectrum, or this little DIY setup? They both come out to about the same price, around 140$.

This would give you better coloration and about triple the power, but that would be much easier and look better (fixture-wise).

What would be the max height Not using optics. I was looking at a new tank and it is 21"h. or a 40g that is only 16'h. I would build a cabinet with hood for them so spill off light would not be a problem.

jedimasterben
What would be the max height Not using optics. I was looking at a new tank and it is 21"h. or a 40g that is only 16'h. I would build a cabinet with hood for them so spill off light would not be a problem.

Depends on how many LEDs you have, the spacing, and what your coral plans are. These LEDs emit light in a 140 degree cone under/around the diode, and most of the light is emitted in a 70 degree cone, but you may need it more focused than that. Over a 21" tall 55g, hung 8" above the tank, my LPS weren't happy on the bottom of the tank when I did not use optics.

Archived