inTank Media Baskets

AquaStyleOnline Club

basicfisherman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben
Thanks for the quick reply and helpful advice. I guess I will just go with what I get. :)

I would not recommend that. The kit comes standard with 18x "10,000K" white and 18x royal blues, and will look positively awful.

For a standard 29g, I would recommend running 4 clusters of the following:

2x 4500k white

3x royal blue

And three clusters of the following (inbetween the other clusters):

1x deep red

1x cyan

1x cool blue (get from LEDGroupBuy)

and 6 violet spread throughout the heatsink.

Hi, i purchased the 36 kit with 18 10k white and 18 royal blues (used 17 each i think) and an in addition 2 reds, 2 cyans and 2 violets along with 2 15 x 5 ish heat sinks a few months back for my 40 gallon breeder. Right now i have it retroed into a fixture with the two heat sinks together long ways to form a 30x 5 heat sink with the 10k and RB alternating with the exotic colors spaced out in the middle with a few 10ks and RB in there as well for a total of 40 leds, 20 on each driver. After looking back over this post and noticing that all of my colors dont pop as well as i feel they could with the clustering of the leds, some colors seem a bit washed out. So i was wondering what would be my best option as far a color combos? should i purchase the 4500k and a few more exotics, how would you guys place them? I can also put the heat sinks together to form a 10 x15 surface if that would be a better option and would purchase another driver if you guys feel 40 total isnt enough. Thanks in advance.

jedimasterben
Hi, i purchased the 36 kit with 18 10k white and 18 royal blues (used 17 each i think) and an in addition 2 reds, 2 cyans and 2 violets along with 2 15 x 5 ish heat sinks a few months back for my 40 gallon breeder. Right now i have it retroed into a fixture with the two heat sinks together long ways to form a 30x 5 heat sink with the 10k and RB alternating with the exotic colors spaced out in the middle with a few 10ks and RB in there as well for a total of 40 leds, 20 on each driver. After looking back over this post and noticing that all of my colors dont pop as well as i feel they could with the clustering of the leds, some colors seem a bit washed out. So i was wondering what would be my best option as far a color combos? should i purchase the 4500k and a few more exotics, how would you guys place them? I can also put the heat sinks together to form a 10 x15 surface if that would be a better option and would purchase another driver if you guys feel 40 total isnt enough. Thanks in advance.

Yep, the reason you're having bad coloration is because of the 10K white. Change them all out for 4500k.

Over a 40 breeder (36"x18"x18") I would do 8x clusters of the following:

2x 4500k

3x RB

And 6x clusters of the following, spaced inbetween the above clusters:

1x deep red

1x cyan

1x cool blue (from LEDGroupBuy)

and use up to 8x violet (NOT UV) across the entire tank, evenly spaced (if possible).

So that's a total of:

16x 4500k

24x RB

6x deep red

6x cyan

6x cool blue

8x violet

As far as drivers, you'll need one 12-20 for the white, one 12-20 and one 7-12 for the RB and violet, and one 12-20 for the deep red, cyan, and cool blue.

any ideas on how many LEDs and what LEDs for a 20g Long?

They have the same footprint as a 29g, so please see my recommendation a couple of posts back. :)

I would not recommend that. The kit comes standard with 18x "10,000K" white and 18x royal blues, and will look positively awful.

For a standard 29g, I would recommend running 4 clusters of the following:

2x 4500k white

3x royal blue

And three clusters of the following (inbetween the other clusters):

1x deep red

1x cyan

1x cool blue (get from LEDGroupBuy)

and 6 violet spread throughout the heatsink.

What size heatsink would you recommend? How should the clusters be laid out across my tank? In a line?

Thanks for the info, one more question though, if i order a dimmable maxwellen driver from aquastyles does it come with the pot? it isnt to clear on the site and didnt see them for sale, if not is there a subsitute from like radioshack that work with them? thanks.

Hey Jedi

I got my turquoise and red LEDs today (thanks Milad). Now if I remove 12 10k white LEDs and just use my 12 45k whites on one dimmer and 16 rb and 6 violets on one dimmer, I think I'll have to put the 6 green and 6 reds on the white dimmer as well. Is that alright? Also if I make

Clusters is it ok if they all run down the middle of my heat sink? I have no optics and have a 18" wide tank. Will I have enough spread?

Thanks

jedimasterben
Hey Jedi

I got my turquoise and red LEDs today (thanks Milad). Now if I remove 12 10k white LEDs and just use my 12 45k whites on one dimmer and 16 rb and 6 violets on one dimmer, I think I'll have to put the 6 green and 6 reds on the white dimmer as well. Is that alright? Also if I make

Clusters is it ok if they all run down the middle of my heat sink? I have no optics and have a 18" wide tank. Will I have enough spread?

Thanks

Over an 18" wide tank, if you cluster only in the middle, the corners of you tank will be dark and you won't get great PAR on the edges, either. It would be better to run the clusters with about 6" between each one (front to back). On my tank, I use one cluster per 16"x12" area on a 48"x24" tank, like this:

-------------------------------------------

------X--------------X--------------X------

------X--------------X--------------X------

This nets me great spread and great PAR numbers, too.

What drivers do you have? I don't know of any driver that has a forward voltage of 80v to be able to use all your RB and violet.

So I will plan on using a custer pattern like yours.

Here is my driver: http://www.aquastyleonline.com/products/Me...60D%252d48.html

I have two of them. I cannot remember exactly how I set it up to work....I put 700ma quick blow fuses on them and used a multimeter to test it to ensure I was within the specs of the drivers (again, dont remember exactly) I have two strands of leds on each driver to split the current to under 750 ma (driver rated at 1350 ma. When tested they were at 550 for each strand.

Here is some background info : http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=299868

jedimasterben
So I will plan on using a custer pattern like yours.

Here is my driver: http://www.aquastyleonline.com/products/Me...60D%252d48.html

I have two of them. I cannot remember exactly how I set it up to work....I put 700ma quick blow fuses on them and used a multimeter to test it to ensure I was within the specs of the drivers (again, dont remember exactly) I have two strands of leds on each driver to split the current to under 750 ma (driver rated at 1350 ma. When tested they were at 550 for each strand.

Here is some background info : http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=299868

Ok, I remember now. Hard to keep track of a bunch of things. :)

Ok, so running them in parallel like that, you should be ok to put that many on one driver.

Ok so I got my order in the other dayand have a problem with one driver that when I turn the pot down all the way orclose to it the leds on that driv er will blink and when I turn them up they are just fine I dunno what it is I have tried changing out pots and same thing.....

I have cool blue red and cyan on the driver and its only a strand of. 12

All help appreciated

jedimasterben
Ok so I got my order in the other dayand have a problem with one driver that when I turn the pot down all the way orclose to it the leds on that driv er will blink and when I turn them up they are just fine I dunno what it is I have tried changing out pots and same thing.....

I have cool blue red and cyan on the driver and its only a strand of. 12

All help appreciated

That just means that when dimmed to a certain point, the forward voltage of the LEDs drops below the minimum voltage of the driver. When LEDs use less power (that is the ma rating) by dimming, their voltage requirement also drops.

That just means that when dimmed to a certain point, the forward voltage of the LEDs drops below the minimum voltage of the driver. When LEDs use less power (that is the ma rating) by dimming, their voltage requirement also drops.

So is that normal and nothing to worry about...?....I will also add pics later to show u how I did it

Since I'm getting some new LEDs and repositioning all of them and getting rid of my 10k will this work:

16 rb

10 4500 k

6 violet

6 red

6 green/turquoise

Or should I leave a few 10k in as well

This is on a 57 gallon 36x18

I think this is what I will have to do to maintain a nice even spread with 6 clusters:

12 W (2 of which will be10K), 17 RB (one cluster will only have 2), 6 V , 6R, 6C

I only have 10 45K, and 17 RB

I'm doing my clusters down the middle for my 29g. Gonna retrofit it into my 24in t5 housing. Should I throw in a heatsink? I see some aluminum already in the fixture.

If you buy a single driver, does it come with a pot?

Also, my total led count is 40. Am I over killing it?

hi Guys,

Getting very swift response from Ray; ive asked about replacing LED with a few variants.

I have a 10G Nanocube and planning to order 14LED dimmable.

Would this LED setup be sufficient?

> 6x White 4500k

> 6x Royal Blue

> 2x true violet 420nm

What is the ideal placement for 14 LED in the heatsink

jedimasterben
So is that normal and nothing to worry about...?....I will also add pics later to show u how I did it

No, it's not normal, but since you have some deep red, they have a much lower forward voltage than the other LEDs do, so that could be why.

Since I'm getting some new LEDs and repositioning all of them and getting rid of my 10k will this work:

16 rb

10 4500 k

6 violet

6 red

6 green/turquoise

Or should I leave a few 10k in as well

This is on a 57 gallon 36x18

I think this is what I will have to do to maintain a nice even spread with 6 clusters:

12 W (2 of which will be10K), 17 RB (one cluster will only have 2), 6 V , 6R, 6C

I only have 10 45K, and 17 RB

Do not use any 10k! They are not 10k and they look awful!

I think you may want to do 8x clusters of NW and RB (2:3) and 6x clusters of deep red, cyan, & cool blue (I'd highly recommend the cool blue be added), with 8x violet spread evenly across, maybe placed in the NW/RB clusters.

I'm doing my clusters down the middle for my 29g. Gonna retrofit it into my 24in t5 housing. Should I throw in a heatsink? I see some aluminum already in the fixture.

If you buy a single driver, does it come with a pot?

Also, my total led count is 40. Am I over killing it?

Yes, LED require a heatsink, so definitely add one! Single drivers do come with a pot, if I remember correctly. 40 LEDs may or may not be overkill. List your number of each color and we'll let you know.

hi Guys,

Getting very swift response from Ray; ive asked about replacing LED with a few variants.

I have a 10G Nanocube and planning to order 14LED dimmable.

Would this LED setup be sufficient?

> 6x White 4500k

> 6x Royal Blue

> 2x true violet 420nm

What is the ideal placement for 14 LED in the heatsink

You won't be happy with a 1:1 ratio of NW and RB without significant dimming, unless you like a 6000K-8000k color.

The tank is 14x14x14, right? If so, 6x NW, 9x RB, and 2x violet would look nice. Maybe think of adding a single deep red, cyan, and a cool blue if you want to order one separately (Ray doesn't sell cool blue), would really help colors pop.

My tek/aquastyle t5/led hybrid setup.36 blues..........

Now with shimmer................

led3.jpg

led2.jpg

led1.jpg

I meant 35. I got extras for a fuge.

I bought the ones you recommended.

12 rb with the kit

These from ledgroup

8 4500k

6 true violet

3 cool blue

3 deep red

3 green

I guess I need an extra driver for my exotics

How would you lay this out over a 22 by 6 heatsink? I plan on retrofitting it into my t5 housing.

Btw thanks for all the help

Hey Jedi Ben,

Thanks for all the help.

So I decided to add cool blues as well. So this is what I have and I need your help, without adding another driver. I have two Meanwell LPF-50D-48 drivers. Right now I have two strands of 12 on each one. Can I add more LEDs to these drivers? I have 700ma fuses attached just in case. When I tested before they were running at 550 ma per strand and are rated at 1250 ma total per driver.

Here are the LEDS I have available to go on my 36"x18" tank..Please recommend the best combo given the drivers. I got advice from you before, but have since ordered cool blues as well. I dont want it to be too blue (thats why I have a dimmer).

12x 4500K

18x RB

6x Violet

6x Red

6x Cool Blue

6x Cyan/Turquoise

As you can see this is 54 LEDs. I dont think I can run all of that on the two drivers. Also I am going to do 6 clusters

Ideally I could run 54 leds between the two drivers, but I do not know if that is possible

albertthiel
No, it's not normal, but since you have some deep red, they have a much lower forward voltage than the other LEDs do, so that could be why.

Do not use any 10k! They are not 10k and they look awful!

I think you may want to do 8x clusters of NW and RB (2:3) and 6x clusters of deep red, cyan, & cool blue (I'd highly recommend the cool blue be added), with 8x violet spread evenly across, maybe placed in the NW/RB clusters.

Yes, LED require a heatsink, so definitely add one! Single drivers do come with a pot, if I remember correctly. 40 LEDs may or may not be overkill. List your number of each color and we'll let you know.

You won't be happy with a 1:1 ratio of NW and RB without significant dimming, unless you like a 6000K-8000k color.

The tank is 14x14x14, right? If so, 6x NW, 9x RB, and 2x violet would look nice. Maybe think of adding a single deep red, cyan, and a cool blue if you want to order one separately (Ray doesn't sell cool blue), would really help colors pop.

Jedimaster .... I have to say that I am absolutely impressed by your knowledge of LED lighting ! Really ... you must have done quite a lot of research on all the available ones, not only individual LED's but fixtures that are commercially sold and there seem to be so many on the market now ...

If you have a general overview written on LED's I would appreciate it if you could post a link to it, or add a post to the Ask Albert thread sharing some of your wide knowledge with those who follow that thread.

I appreciate it

Don't want to take away from this thread of course but NR members who are on my thread may not be following this one and that is why I ask. Thanks

Albert

Archived