inTank Media Baskets

AquaStyleOnline Club

basicfisherman

Question. Do the Maxwellen drivers use 0-10v dimming or PWM?

None. They cannot be dimmed by anything but the pot. You can make a digital pot, but its simply not worth the effort. There was a huge thread on this on RC I think. Stick to Meanwells or Inventronics if you want to dim using a controller.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben
Thanks must of Missed them

No worries. Find a few posts of mine where I make recommendations and if you have any questions, let me know, I'd be happy to help get your ducks in a row. :)

Ducks2010.jpg

No worries. Find a few posts of mine where I make recommendations and if you have any questions, let me know, I'd be happy to help get your ducks in a row. :)

Ducks2010.jpg

Lol nice pic....will do I think iam pretty solid on the colors I hope as in my previous post....but may need some info on placement/grouping of the LEDs

jedimasterben

No worries, man.

As to your previous post (sorry I missed it, completely brushed past it), your numbers look good for that size tank. I would add at least two and no more than three cool blues, as well. They will help even out your spectrum and add a bit more pop. Unfortunately, Ray doesn't sell them at Aquastyle, but you can get some for less than $14 shipped from Milad at LEDgroupbuy.

No worries, man.

As to your previous post (sorry I missed it, completely brushed past it), your numbers look good for that size tank. I would add at least two and no more than three cool blues, as well. They will help even out your spectrum and add a bit more pop. Unfortunately, Ray doesn't sell them at Aquastyle, but you can get some for less than $14 shipped from Milad at LEDgroupbuy.

Mean replace some of the royals with cools...?..or add them on to make it 36+....?...if adding them will the drivers be able to push all of them.....?

jedimasterben
Mean replace some of the royals with cools...?..or add them on to make it 36+....?...if adding them will the drivers be able to push all of them.....?

Yep, drivers won't be an issue, but I would highly, highly, highly recommend running at least three drivers. One for white only, one for royal blue and violet, and one for red, cyan, and cool blue.

10x 4500K

15x royal blue

3x red

3x cyan

3x cool blue

4x violet

Yep, drivers won't be an issue, but I would highly, highly, highly recommend running at least three drivers. One for white only, one for royal blue and violet, and one for red, cyan, and cool blue.

10x 4500K

15x royal blue

3x red

3x cyan

3x cool blue

4x violet

my drivers are like that I run the red cyan and whites together and blues on another

post-39095-1338438621_thumb.jpg

post-39095-1338438632_thumb.jpg

jedimasterben
my drivers are like that I run the red cyan and whites together and blues on another

I still highly recommend running them separately. They are too eye-catching, so to speak, to be run with another color.

Seamonkey84

I was Comming on to ask if I should dim the core with the whites or blues. I was going to get rapid LEDs two color dimming kit for the 0-10v controlling, so would I just have a third knob off by itself? Or I can switch the the P drivers and wait for rapids Pwm controller to be back in stock

jedimasterben
I was Comming on to ask if I should dim the core with the whites or blues. I was going to get rapid LEDs two color dimming kit for the 0-10v controlling, so would I just have a third knob off by itself? Or I can switch the the P drivers and wait for rapids Pwm controller to be back in stock

What?

Seamonkey84

Doh! Was suppose to quote the post right before mine. I thought it was funny that I was about to ask if I should wire the colors in with the whites or with the blues and the posts right befor I came on was pretty much answering my question. I've decided to go with the Pwm dimming kit from rapid led to control the meanwell "p" drivers.

I got the 36 led kit with the meanwell drivers, do i need to have the 10v running to the pots or not? I wired it to the pots without it and the lights come on, but can't really see any change in intensity when adjusting.

I'm getting a 50 gallon 36" X 18" X 18" tank. Thinking of doing one of these kits for lighting. After reading through this thread it looks like their 48 LED kit will work. I'm thinking of doing this:

12 X 4500k

18 X Royal Blue

6 X True Violet

4 X Red

4 X Cyan

4 X Cool Blue

1. Will this color combination look nice?

2. The kit comes with 2 drivers and 2 potentiometers. Should I get an extra driver and potentiometer so I can run whites on one, RB and violet on another, and red, cyan, and cool blue on the third? Or can I just run them on the two drivers? Are the included meanwells okay or should I switch to the maxwells?

3. Not sure what to do about the heatsink. The largest ones they have are 15" long. I'm thinking I'd need a bigger one for a tank 36" long?? Heatsink USA has lots of sizes. Just have no idea what size I'd need. Any suggestions?

4. How many inches should I hang the light from the water and what size optics should I use?

jedimasterben
I'm getting a 50 gallon 36" X 18" X 18" tank. Thinking of doing one of these kits for lighting. After reading through this thread it looks like their 48 LED kit will work. I'm thinking of doing this:

12 X 4500k

18 X Royal Blue

6 X True Violet

4 X Red

4 X Cyan

4 X Cool Blue

1. Will this color combination look nice?

2. The kit comes with 2 drivers and 2 potentiometers. Should I get an extra driver and potentiometer so I can run whites on one, RB and violet on another, and red, cyan, and cool blue on the third? Or can I just run them on the two drivers? Are the included meanwells okay or should I switch to the maxwells?

3. Not sure what to do about the heatsink. The largest ones they have are 15" long. I'm thinking I'd need a bigger one for a tank 36" long?? Heatsink USA has lots of sizes. Just have no idea what size I'd need. Any suggestions?

4. How many inches should I hang the light from the water and what size optics should I use?

1) Should look freakin sweet. :)

2) I highly recommend running the red, cyan and cool blue on another driver. Meanwells are much better than the Maxwellen, IMHO.

3) For a 36" tank, I would run two heatsinks.

4) Depends on how high you want it, totally up to you. Once you decide, let us know for an optic recommendation. :)

1) Should look freakin sweet. :)

2) I highly recommend running the red, cyan and cool blue on another driver. Meanwells are much better than the Maxwellen, IMHO.

3) For a 36" tank, I would run two heatsinks.

4) Depends on how high you want it, totally up to you. Once you decide, let us know for an optic recommendation. :)

So should I get 2 of the 15" heatsinks?

I'm thinking 12" from the water for the height. So which optic size would work the best?

Also, how should I arrange the leds on the 2 heatsinks?

I've never soldered before. Just forget it and walk away slowly?

I had never soldered before either. It took me about 45 mins to solder all 36 LEDs after reading up on it. Its almost re-re proof ( + to - )

jedimasterben
So should I get 2 of the 15" heatsinks?

I'm thinking 12" from the water for the height. So which optic size would work the best?

Also, how should I arrange the leds on the 2 heatsinks?

Yes.

12" from water's edge on an 18" tank, I would do 80-90 degree optics so you don't have any dark corners in the tank.

Clustered together as tightly as possible. I gave the details of my clusters a few posts back (not sure how many), check it out. I can post a pic if you need one.

Yeah, i read your post about the clusters a few pages back but picture would really help. Thanks.

Yes.

12" from water's edge on an 18" tank, I would do 80-90 degree optics so you don't have any dark corners in the tank.

Clustered together as tightly as possible. I gave the details of my clusters a few posts back (not sure how many), check it out. I can post a pic if you need one.

jedimasterben
Yeah, i read your post about the clusters a few pages back but picture would really help. Thanks.

This is how I did mine (these are using much more powerful Rebel ES LEDs, but the ratio of blue and white is the same, just mine are more powerful):

IMG_20120506_120456.jpg

How they are arranged:

---RB-CB-RB---

--V-NW-NW-V--

---DR-RB-C----

Now, for Bridgelux LEDs, if you used this cluster design for all of your clusters, you'd end up with too much cool blue, deep red, and cyan, UNLESS you run them on a separate driver and dim accordingly.

I recommend five clusters total for each 24"x24" area, (this gives about 2000 lumens of white and about 12,000mW of royal blue, so as powerful as a Radion without even including the other LEDs).

Archived