SaltCritters.com

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Was a really good presentation from Julian Sprung at our marine club meeting today. Got all kinds of info from it. I asked him specifically about tumbling GFO. He said the upflow in a reactor allows the water to come in contact with all the media. You want the top granules to dance (as you and I have been tuning it) but you don't want the whole bed to tumble. He also said you can briefly crank up the flow to get it all to tumble to eliminate clumping due to calcium carbonate or detritus build up, but turn it right back down.

Also found out that blue ochtodes is not the right name for what is being passed around the forums.. the real name escapes me atm. Another point of interest is that GHA is more often caused by chronic low pH and low alk (if phosphates aren't present) and nitrates are not a cause, however algaes will grow faster with them present.

• Like 2

So like this:

|_______________/

|______________/

|_____________/

|____________/

(but not as extreme of an angle)

| |

| |

| |

\ |

\ |

\ |

But (obviously) not as extreme of an angle

Pictures

We are looking at my frag rack with a strawberry shortcake, leptastrea, daisy polyps, tenuis

20130921_094626.jpg

Rainbow sakuras, lavender blastos

20130921_094546.jpg

And here is big boy Sam who is still very shy. He just ate some yummy live black worms but is in Charlies cave.

20130919_154445.jpg

Are those my frags ;)?

• Like 1

So the word from sprung on GFO. Make it dance.

Was a really good presentation from Julian Sprung at our marine club meeting today. Got all kinds of info from it. I asked him specifically about tumbling GFO. He said the upflow in a reactor allows the water to come in contact with all the media. You want the top granules to dance (as you and I have been tuning it) but you don't want the whole bed to tumble. He also said you can briefly crank up the flow to get it all to tumble to eliminate clumping due to calcium carbonate or detritus build up, but turn it right back down.

Also found out that blue ochtodes is not the right name for what is being passed around the forums.. the real name escapes me atm.

yuuppppppp

If it starts to clump, and you can definitely see that it's clumping, then it's not tumbling enough. If you watch my one vid of it, someone stated that it may be too much...but any lower flow and it clumps. Aside from that 0.00 ppm phosphates. Speaks for itself.

Another point of interest is that GHA is more often caused by chronic low pH and low alk (if phosphates aren't present) and nitrates are not a cause, however algaes will grow faster with them present.

I like this point. It makes perfect sense for my tank. My PH has always been low...according to my RA.

• Like 2