inTank Media Baskets

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

So I leave for Dallas tomorrow and TS is coming with me. With my celebrity Tank Sitter not watching my tank, the duty falls to......

MY MOTHER! :scarry:

I think my little nephew knows more about my tank than she does.

I put a sparkly tie on the plug for the mag5 that is in the sump, that's the only instruction I'm giving her: if the tank over flows, yank out this plug.

:unsure:

I just can't keep up with you and all your pervert friends. WTF is going on with yer tank???

I gots a lot of questions:

Do you still have the media rack in the back chambers?

If not, where do you keep the carbon/purigen etc stuff?

Do you still have the pumps in the back chambers? If so, is your return from the sump dumping into the back chambers near the overflow or dumping in the tank directly??

How are you dosing? Kalk in the ATO?

How is the skimmer in the sump doing?

How is the midas doing?

Did you ever add another light strip?

You have rescaped and no FTS!!

Are you and Alto engaged yet, my son wants to know?

Are you planning on MACNA in Sept, I'm thinking of going?

That's all for now. I hope you can find the time to answer a lonely old dude from Deep South Texas.

I just can't keep up with you and all your pervert friends. WTF is going on with yer tank???

I gots a lot of questions:

1. Do you still have the media rack in the back chambers?
  2. If not, where do you keep the carbon/purigen etc stuff?
  3. Do you still have the pumps in the back chambers? If so, is your return from the sump dumping into the back chambers near the overflow or dumping in the tank directly??
  4. How are you dosing? Kalk in the ATO?
  5. How is the skimmer in the sump doing?
  6. How is the midas doing?
  7. Did you ever add another light strip?
  8. You have rescaped and no FTS!!
  9. Are you and Alto engaged yet, my son wants to know?
  10. Are you planning on MACNA in Sept, I'm thinki

ng of going?

That's all for now. I hope you can find the time to answer a lonely old dude from Deep South Texas.

Hey Mark. I got lotsa answers!

1. I do not

2. In the sump, right now I have it in a very long 300 micron mesh filter sock which is the inlet of the sump

3. Yes I still have the pumps. The display water has no other way of being filtered properly. The return puts the water back in the back chambers. Any J tube for the return will be an awkward fit if you have to traverse the back chamber to get water to the front. I just don't see it as a logical solution, when you get your setup you can try it I suppose or discuss it with Jeff at lifereef

4. I am not dosing KALK at the moment, I was drip dosing it (only did 1 gallon) because the ATO reservoir I was using was an open top which is not good for KALK. Since then I had other issues to fix first. I am dosing buffer only.

5. The skimmer in the sump is fantastic! I throw away brown soup once a week

6. The Midas is doing much better, the clownfish doesn't harass him nearly as much as she used to and I hope it stays this way

7. Yes I have added an all blue LED and those pictures are what Mike just linked to, aren't they fabulous!

8. oh yeah I forgot the FTS, it's below, will need to take a better one next week

9. Alto and I are gonna get hitched on a pontoon in Lake Okeechobee FL by JEdiMAsterBen! But we believe in

an open relationship, Is your son cute?

10. I'm seriously thinking of MACNA! but I haven't yet committed.

IMG_9734.JPG

Edited by metrokat

Wow, geez, I feel like I need to smoke a cig, I'm so satisfied.....

My son looks like a mini me, but has an IQ of 160+, takes after his mom.

Your tank looks fantastic, I gots a woody.

OK, thank for the info, now back to your pervet NY friends.

I need to have a long conversation with the Jeff @ reeflife.

I have one for you. Wait until I catch it. It's like six inches wide.

Oh no, you can keep your 6incher! Zeph has micro brittles that stay small (he says). Any frag I've gotten from him always has one or two but I dip all frags so I've always seen them in the dip water after a good shake. And they were dead so this time I'm hoping for a few live ones.

Wow, geez, I feel like I need to smoke a cig, I'm so satisfied.....

My son looks like a mini me, but has an IQ of 160+, takes after his mom.

Your tank looks fantastic, I gots a woody.

OK, thank for the info, now back to your pervet NY friends.

I need to have a long conversation with the Jeff @ reeflife.

:)

Ill put in a word to Alto.

Edited by metrokat
jedimasterben

I just got my brittle star today from John the rockstar, its about 7-8" across. :)

Scary as freakin' hell. I dont want to touch it.

Sorry bout the frag, Kat. Didn't realize I forgot to bag it til I was half way to work (that's when I texted ta).

I spent close to 12 hours assembling a giant photobooth in Times Scare today... Now you have an excuse to go check the place out.

Btw- if anyone needs grape caulerpa, hit up Zeph. I'm pretty sure he has too much now. Hahaha. I packed three quart sized bags to the point of exploding.

Dude, Zeph has magic water. The frag he gave me has been outside in my truck for over 9 hours and it still looks happy.

My mother is here. Bring that Italian charm, she might be the one doing the spanking after that. To you and me both!

Dont worry, In college I majored in schmoozing mothers.

Dude, Zeph has magic water. The frag he gave me has been outside in my truck for over 9 hours and it still looks happy.

I work on that water evey day!! And sure, if anyone wants a little grape caulerpa let me know. Its my favorite because it is somewhat slower growing and easier to control than other caulerpas. DId i spell caulerpa wrong?

I work on that water evey day!! And sure, if anyone wants a little grape caulerpa let me know. Its my favorite because it is somewhat slower growing and easier to control than other caulerpas. DId i spell caulerpa wrong?

Slow growing? I guess if you work on your water every day... Haha. That stuff I gave you was a single one inch cluster like 5 months ago.

Sorry bout the frag, Kat. Didn't realize I forgot to bag it til I was half way to work (that's when I texted ta).

I spent close to 12 hours assembling a giant photobooth in Times Scare today... Now you have an excuse to go check the place out.

Btw- if anyone needs grape caulerpa, hit up Zeph. I'm pretty sure he has too much now. Hahaha. I packed three quart sized bags to the point of exploding.

He does have good water! It's like plants, you talk to them and they grow better for you. I don't know if he talks to them or goes swimming in the 210 but his reefs are awesome.

I'll check out the booth and send ya picture if I do check it out.

The Light Cycle corrected

For those following along this party thread, you know I've been battling SPS browning issues. While this wasn't a case for all the SPS I had, it was noticeable. Some thought it was nutrients, some thought it was light, some thought it was that I had too many macros.

Well that was about 4 weeks ago. In these 4 weeks, I changed my T5 bulbs, installed a sump, had my water tested professionally, added coral amino acids and supplements. I noticed dKH issues but nothing else, the chemistry in the tank was pretty spot on.

It turns out that it was the light after all. But not in the way that you would think, the lights I have are enough for what I house in the tank, but it wasn't on for long enough! The timers were set incorrectly and I'm not sure sure how that changed since it wasn't the setting they were on before.

beating-head-against-the-wall.gif

LED's came on from 11am-8pm

T5's came on from 12-8

and that was it. If you read an article and thread on here about zooxanthellae responding to the first signs of light and being their most active in their first few hours, well, the tank gets a bit of sunrise everyday, which means the corals were already open in the front of the tank well before the lights came on. So, not that I can explain myself correctly here, basically the tank was shooting blanks. The light wasn;t there long enough and early on enough for the zooxanthellae to be productive.

The light cycle is now

Actinic LED's 8am-10pm

LED's 10 am-8pm

T5's 11am- 8pm

I have maintained this for about 10 days. Tubbs yellow birdsnest is back to being yellow with a green hue. I took pictures of everything during the browning so I'll be taking pictures of the corals coloration next week for comparision

:)

Ill put in a word to Alto.

On second though, he's only 16, Alto might kill him. :)

FWIW my Radion comes on at 10:00am and goes off at 11:00 pm. I have it "natural" mode which means that it mimicks the sun's brightness, so it Peaks a 100% six 1/2 hours after the sunrise.

The T5s come on at 11:00am and go off at 10:00pm.

Howdy from 35,000ft. Gotta love Wi-fi in the air.

tl;dr kalk that reef. :lol:

Wait so, the max is back in the corner where the BC was? That hallway didn't look like it catches the sun...

No the MAX is in my foyer, where the kitchen is. I didn't think it got sunlight either but hey, it does.

On second though, he's only 16, Alto might kill him. :)

FWIW my Radion comes on at 10:00am and goes off at 11:00 pm. I have it "natural" mode which means that it mimicks the sun's brightness, so it Peaks a 100% six 1/2 hours after the sunrise.

The T5s come on at 11:00am and go off at 10:00pm.

yes, my photo period was far too short.

That's pretty much my hours too. Oh, and the tank gets direct exposure during sunrise every day through half the year. So I don't know if I buy the "waking up period" theory... But lengthening the day overall- sure, that's gotta help.

No the MAX is in my foyer, where the kitchen is. I didn't think it got sunlight either but hey, it does.

Foyer, hallway... I'm not fancy enough to know the difference. Haha. :lol:

Edited by kgoldy
Foyer, hallway... I'm not fancy enough to know the difference. Haha. :lol:

:rolleyes:

when you came over, the BC was in the corner by the dining table, next to the windows. I moved it in January.

Before I tore down the BC I had 3 tanks set up outside the kitchen wall, the BC, the MAX and the Pico, you saw that in pictures, not in person. The MAX is in that area but against another wall.