Cultivated Reef

Mr. Microscope

IDK, I think one gyre replacing four pumps is probably better from an aesthetic standpoint. Though, four vortechs will probably give you much more random flow.

• Like 2
jedimasterben

I have nearly $1k in vortechs.

Didn't seem logical to just remove them. Plus the gyre is sooooooo ugly.

Just look at Ark's tank.

IMG_3318.jpg

IMG_3358.jpg

And he only had two powerheads. :P

• Like 2
TheKleinReef

IDK, I think one gyre replacing four pumps is probably better from an aesthetic standpoint. Though, four vortechs will probably give you much more random flow.

Just look at Ark's tank.

IMG_3318.jpg

IMG_3358.jpg

And he only had two powerheads. :P

I'd rather stare at four vortechs than a big black bar with a wire in the tank.

plus, the randomness of 4 vortechs can't be beat with 1 gyre.

• Like 3
jedimasterben

I'd rather stare at four vortechs than a big black bar with a wire in the tank.

plus, the randomness of 4 vortechs can't be beat with 1 gyre.

'Random' flow happens at the coral no matter where the flow is coming from - it hits an object and deflects. Random vs laminar is a moot point.

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

The videos of gyre look like an unnatural flow pattern as a whole. Just a circular movement.

Regardless, the "great" flow produced by then doesn't change the fact that it's ugly. Hahah

• Like 1

sorry for not posting that much lately.

i've just been going through a lot.

my plan stands to go home around the last week of july.

Hope all is ok.

• Like 1

https://www.neptunesystems.com/pmk/

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?11457-New-product-announcement-pmk

Shipping next month in North America at $299.95

I think I'll stick to my Apogee and dunk it in the tank from time to time. This way I can also take it outside to monitor the sun and be the first on my block to know if it's getting dimmer. :owned: But really, I've used to to determine how much shade some shady areas are. I look geeky as hell with a meter walking around outside. Told the neighbor I was checking for radiation.

• Like 3
jedimasterben

They're the second controller to come out with something like that, and they're also the second controller to skimp over the fact that the Apogee sensor is very sensitive and when it starts to grow algae it will be completely useless and when the algae is removed it may damage the sensor surface.

TheKleinReef

They're the second controller to come out with something like that, and they're also the second controller to skimp over the fact that the Apogee sensor is very sensitive and when it starts to grow algae it will be completely useless and when the algae is removed it may damage the sensor surface.

Are there low risk ways to clean sensors like that? I feel like if you buy anything like that you should prepare to clean it correctly.

jedimasterben

Are there low risk ways to clean sensors like that? I feel like if you buy anything like that you should prepare to clean it correctly.

The only way to keep it clean is to use it only when you need to, rinse it off, dry it, and cover it with the storage cap.

TheKleinReef

The only way to keep it clean is to use it only when you need to, rinse it off, dry it, and cover it with the storage cap.

It'll be interesting to see what Neptune has to say about it, as well as the people who try it out.

I on the other hand do not need another value to stress over.

KISS hahah