Innovative Marine Aquariums

FlowerMama

Beautiful colors. Don't know how I stopped following but the last time was apparently Dec. I'm back on now though.

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

Beautiful colors. Don't know how I stopped following but the last time was apparently Dec. I'm back on now though.

thanks! nice to have you along for the journey again. :P

• Like 1

Great photo. Tell the parental units to replace the actinic with a blue+ and I bet you can coax some green out of the Katropora.

Regardless, yo have the fastest growth by far, except maybe for Kat. Mine is starting to branch now so hopefully it will take off soon.

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

Great photo. Tell the parental units to replace the actinic with a blue+ and I bet you can coax some green out of the Katropora.

Regardless, yo have the fastest growth by far, except maybe for Kat. Mine is starting to branch now so hopefully it will take off soon.

I didn't like having 4 blue+ which is why i dropped one for the actinic. I really prefer this bulb comboover my 4 blue+ 1 coral+ 1 purple+

I'm tempted to try a combo rehype suggested though. 4 blue+ 1 purple+ 1 GE 6500K he said it's a very warm combo that still gives great color.

• Like 1

I didn't like having 4 blue+ which is why i dropped one for the actinic. I really prefer this bulb comboover my 4 blue+ 1 coral+ 1 purple+

I'm tempted to try a combo rehype suggested though. 4 blue+ 1 purple+ 1 GE 6500K he said it's a very warm combo that still gives great color.

Ive considered throwing in a GE 6500 bulb

• Like 2
TheKleinReef

4 blue+ and 2 coral+ look great IMO, no need for the purple+

not a big fan of the look, at least from what i've seen from other people's posts.

which ultimately comes down to how well they edit.

regardless, I probably won't switch from what I have now. colors are doing great. growth is great.

• Like 2
TheKleinReef

Looking for a chiller, I need some help figuring out what I need, and where I can find a quality used one.

probably a 1/10 or 1/5 HP..

Normal house temp: 80-85

lighting: 234w

pumps: 72+48w

thoughts?

My old RSM t5s were this combo, I followed re hypes suggestion too.

how'd you like it? I'm really torn between trying it and keeping what i have.

The color did have more warmth, it is worth a try, it would liven up some of the colors in the FTS. When it was time for a bulb change I went with a B+ to replace the GE. My corals were to the very top of the tank so the color rendering is far different that a tank with aloe profile scape like yours. You just reminded me that I haven't taken a picture with just my current T5s. Think I'll do that in a few
  • Like 1
TheKleinReef

The color did have more warmth, it is worth a try, it would liven up some of the colors in the FTS. When it was time for a bulb change I went with a B+ to replace the GE. My corals were to the very top of the tank so the color rendering is far different that a tank with aloe profile scape like yours. You just reminded me that I haven't taken a picture with just my current T5s. Think I'll do that in a few

I do have my lights about 10" off the water. So it's pretty dispersed by the time the light hits the water.

(*patiently waits for Ben to come in and ream me for the accuracy of said statement^^)..

I need to do a PAR test when I get home. I have no idea how much light I'm actually throwing at my corals.

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

Looking for a chiller, I need some help figuring out what I need, and where I can find a quality used one.

probably a 1/10 or 1/5 HP..

Normal house temp: 80-85

lighting: 234w

pumps: 72+48w

thoughts?

Bump. Need advice.

Arkayology

not a big fan of the look, at least from what i've seen from other people's posts.

which ultimately comes down to how well they edit.

regardless, I probably won't switch from what I have now. colors are doing great. growth is great.

Just get a couple of cheap desk fans to put above the tank and connect them to your apex IMO.

TheKleinReef

Just get a couple of cheap desk fans to put above the tank and connect them to your apex IMO.

fans haven't worked cooling this tank in the past, I doubt it's gonna work now.

also, no more plugs left in the EB8.

Arkayology

fans haven't worked cooling this tank in the past, I doubt it's gonna work now.

also, no more plugs left in the EB8.

One small fan always has worked on my current 40g, and the 60g in the past. How were you using the fan in the past? How many pumps are you using? Are they all essential?

TheKleinReef

One small fan always has worked on my current 40g, and the 60g in the past. How were you using the fan in the past? How many pumps are you using? Are they all essential?

I had a fan mounted in the stand (the entire back of the stand is open.)

and yeah everything is essential. i don't really use luxury items aside from the doser/ato. hah KISS.

Arkayology

I had a fan mounted in the stand (the entire back of the stand is open.)

and yeah everything is essential. i don't really use luxury items aside from the doser/ato. hah KISS.

If possible, try putting a fan on the outside to blow over the tank. That way you will get fresh air onto the water instead of just blowing hot air onto it. Just an idea. I have my fan sitting on top of my overflow box pointing at the water surface an it works just fine.

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

If possible, try putting a fan on the outside to blow over the tank. That way you will get fresh air onto the water instead of just blowing hot air onto it. Just an idea. I have my fan sitting on top of my overflow box pointing at the water surface an it works just fine.

if i can convince my parents to mount something to the rim... lol they like the rimless and are very adamant about mounting anything to the sides. they were super against the auto feeder, a mesh top, and even frag racks (but they're too lazy to mount the corals on them so they're stuck with those) hah.

TheKleinReef

pitched the fan idea to the rents. but from what I've read some people have trouble getting the tank down more than 5 degrees. In the summer this tank has gotten up to 82 degrees which is 4 degrees higher than where i like it. I'm right on the edge. hopefully the fan idea works, although my parents are quite set on a chiller.

also, has anyone had luck in creating optimal flow in a 12x12 space in a sump for SPS frags? I want to get the frags out of the display and away from the urchin (see pic below, frag rack is upside down because of bulldozer) but i'm afraid the flow pattern won't promote optimal growth. i'd use my old radion for lighting.

it's no DSLR pic, but it looks too damn good not to share :P

16904867693_0cdaa93ff5_b.jpgmay 11 2015 by Roger Klein, on Flickr

• Like 7