Cultivated Reef

TheKleinReef

I love the dos... Just saying. Good luck Rodger. Let me know if ya frag anything when ya get home ;)

And congrats on pta school!

I have some stuff i need to get rid of, stop by and it's yours!

Hope things turn around for Ya! Congrats on PTA school........I am in RTN hell myself right now

I skimmed your thread but haven't given it a good read. It's strange that 10-15 people will all experience STN/RTN events at the same time....

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

I have some stuff i need to get rid of, stop by and it's yours!

I skimmed your thread but haven't given it a good read. It's strange that 10-15 people will all experience STN/RTN events at the same time....

For sure- I think mine was a combo of doser malfunction for atleast a few weeks before I noticed which brought Alk to 4- ouch-and then the poci attacking. Still haven't been able to put the new board in the doser but this weekend for sure. I've been manually dosing additions and keeping Alk at 7

TheKleinReef

For sure- I think mine was a combo of doser malfunction for atleast a few weeks before I noticed which brought Alk to 4- ouch-and then the poci attacking. Still haven't been able to put the new board in the doser but this weekend for sure. I've been manually dosing additions and keeping Alk at 7

oh my.

My tank does well at 7.5-8 but the rents wouldn't up the doser enough so some alk tests were at 6.0-6.5.

I knew i should have went with a Ca reactor.... haha

• Like 1

I'm starting to think that a change in weather has something to do with it. Even though we control the climate in our tanks artificially, I notice RTN/STN issues around seasonal changes. Could just be a coincidence.

• Like 3
HarryPotter

I'm starting to think that a change in weather has something to do with it. Even though we control the climate in our tanks artificially, I notice RTN/STN issues around seasonal changes. Could just be a coincidence.

Well its been seen that coral spawning, even in artificial environments is effected by lunar cycles. Maybe we are enduring a similar pattern here?

In natural reefs, are there periodic RTN/STN events?

• Like 1
HarryPotter

tank is getting dosed 80mL of alk and ca.

seems like a lot.... does that seem like a lot to you guys?

Not really. I used one and a half cups of Ca (Kent) to go from 360 to 450.

TheKleinReef

Is that stuff as concentrated?

I'm using 80mL of BRS soda ash/calcium carbonate. [/quote

Did you use their calculator?

their calculator did work for my dosing needs. I used what they said and it was about 3x as what i actually needed. it told me to dose 80ml when i only needed 50ml. (that was a while ago though, like last march). i emailed them for a while trying to figure out why it didn't line up, but it never got solved.

TheKleinReef

Good late morning nano reef!

I got it backwards. BRS recommends I dose half of what I'm actually dosing for a 1.0 dkh drop. Maybe the solution isn't as strong as it needs to be? Even though I followed the BRS video instructions. I have no idea.

• Like 1

Good late morning nano reef!

I got it backwards. BRS recommends I dose half of what I'm actually dosing for a 1.0 dkh drop. Maybe the solution isn't as strong as it needs to be? Even though I followed the BRS video instructions. I have no idea.

I was thinking the same thing, that the solution mixed p may be more diluted than needed.

TheKleinReef

This is why you need to follow the instructions given by RHF and not BRS, since they are using a modified, less precise version of his calculator. http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

i used to use this when I used seachem to dose. it worked well then.

then what product do i select since "BRS soda ash" isn't on the list?

and how would i make a solution using this calculator? when i used it in the past i was hand dosing.

I was thinking the same thing, that the solution mixed p may be more diluted than needed.

That makes sense, cause I got curious and went for total saturation and used about 1.5x as what it said before it stopped dissolving.

What's the maximum amount of calcium chloride that can dissolve in a gallon of water? (reef centrals says 750g/L)

What about soda ash/sodium bicarbonate?

Also, since this tank's pH likes to stay above 8.1 should i consider switching to Sodium Bicarbonate?

jedimasterben

then what product do i select since "BRS soda ash" isn't on the list?

There is no such thing as 'BRS' soda ash, it's either sodium carbonate or sodium bicarbonate. Doesn't matter where it comes from.

TheKleinReef

There is no such thing as 'BRS' soda ash, it's either sodium carbonate or sodium bicarbonate. Doesn't matter where it comes from.

Well I dk if they do something different.

Some companies add in random stuff.

As for my other questions? Lol