Cultivated Reef

my parents don't have the patience for tripods and what not, but hey at least its something.

15909156662_47836092da_b.jpgFSH_1061.jpg by xMrKleinReef, on Flickr

dat hawkins doe!

dat katropora doe!

dat myagi doe!

dat formosa doe!

dat slimer doe!

okay, moving on.... :P

15909804795_754d329383_b.jpgFSH_1034.jpg by xMrKleinReef, on Flickr

15722319028_7669e99110_b.jpgFSH_1027.jpg by xMrKleinReef, on Flickr

i asked for a full tank shot. hopefully i get that soon

• Like 5

update!

MAG7 has been replaced with a Sicce 3.0 (thanks Ark for the recommendation, my LFS carried it which is lucky!)

apparently, the feeding schedule isn't doing so hot in terms of cyano growth. and i'd rather not cut back, because of the awesome colors i'm getting on the SPS and coral in general. And more/bigger water changes scare me because the salt mixes a tad differently than what i keep the tank at, current water changes are at 10G weekly.

So i did some research, and i want to start some sort of carbon dose, that way i can still administer the same amount of food, but the tank is better equipped to process everything that isn't being used.

My dream would be a Reef Dynamics Bio-pellet reactor, but that's not something i could control from here. (in reality, there's not much i could control from here...) So realistically, vinegar or vodka dosing would be my best bet. After finding this chart though: Table20Vinegar.jpg

I'd use my 4th pump on my GHL to administer the vinegar, but I hate that i have to consistently increase the dose. Asking my parents to meddle with yet another thing wouldn't be fair to them. especially for 16+ weeks. I wish i could control the GHL from Boise, then i could do it myself.

So, are there any other options you guys would recommend? I vaguely remember someone mentioning Coral Snow mixed with another KZ product to help with cyano, but it escapes me currently.

Any advice?

• Like 2
jedimasterben

but i'd still need to start somewhere and increase it until i see change.

could i do that within the 2 weeks i'm home?

If you don't need to have a higher dosage, then yes. But really, it takes a few weeks to get dialed in properly and then you need to observe and back down the dose if need be.

• Like 1

If you don't need to have a higher dosage, then yes. But really, it takes a few weeks to get dialed in properly and then you need to observe and back down the dose if need be.

hmm. maybe its not the best route to carbon dose then.

Why do you want to carbon dose? And if you must, consider vitamin C.

the feeding schedule isn't doing so hot in terms of cyano growth. and i'd rather not cut back on feeding, because of the awesome colors i'm getting on the SPS and coral in general. And more/bigger water changes scare me because the salt mixes a tad differently than what i keep the tank at, current water changes are at 10G weekly.

i know literally nothing about vitamin c dosing. but the fact that i have to fine tune a carbon dosing regimen is making me not want to do that, and find another way to manage the cyano.

12D 20H

i already started my mental to do list when i get home :P

heavy tank cleaning

barrage of tests

fix the aquascape

mount the frags that have been on the frag rack for months

frag some stuff for people

swap skimmers (replacing the ASM G-1 with my INS-80).

sump cleaning

pics & video!

huzzah!

• Like 2

I think your first item should be "hug tank"

:D

12D 20H

i already started my mental to do list when i get home :P

hug tank*

heavy tank cleaning

barrage of tests

fix the aquascape

mount the frags that have been on the frag rack for months

frag some stuff for people

swap skimmers (replacing the ASM G-1 with my INS-80).

sump cleaning

pics & video!

huzzah!

• Like 1

:( Are you alright?

PT and MD confirmed an impingement in my hip. but they aren't sure on the cause. i got an x-ray; it showed i have a deeper hip socket than normal as well as a wider femoral neck. i fell on the ice last year and they think this anomaly in my bone structure caused a tear in my labrum when the force of the impact was transferred through the joint. i dealt with the pain for a year so i could finish off my collegiate running career and then i fell again a few weeks ago and it came back in full force.