Coral Vue Hydros

Mr. Microscope's Cube 2.1

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

are they worth it?

They've completely changed the way I feel about so called, "algae-eating snails." These things are keeping my pumps, glass (including my bare bottom), and rock crystal clean. There's only 14 of them and they're no bigger than the tip of my pinky. Granted, I only have film algae for the most part and I'm running a very low nutrient tank. Before I got them, however, the film built up pretty fast. I'm also really amazed at how clean they keep my frags plugs. Yes, I think they're 100% worth it. I might buy more in the future.

Oh my gosh, those nems!!! The color you're capturing is crazy, like none I've seen. Beautiful!!!!! Lordy, doesn't even make me wanna put up my pic of mine, looks so boring in comparison.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Oh my gosh, those nems!!! The color you're capturing is crazy, like none I've seen. Beautiful!!!!! Lordy, doesn't even make me wanna put up my pic of mine, looks so boring in comparison.

Thanks 1st! That pic was taken under blue LED's. So, the animal is fluoresing. You'll get the same pop on your red one.
Mr. Microscope

Oh hot dang. Those nems. When one splits and you wanna sell lemme know! ;)

Those anemones are insane! Looking good.

Will do! I'll have to thin them out soon as they're going to take over if I don't. I'll send out PM's when I'm ready. I'm guessing in a about two or three months.
Mr. Microscope

This will be the last table I'll post for a week or so. I confirmed my Calcium dosing amount last night. Prior in the day I dosed 30mL Calcium (15mL AM, 15mL PM, just like Alk). In the evening, I tested at 420ppm. I'm just going to keep up with 30mL Alk and 30mL Calcium for a week or so and then test everything to see where I stand. Hopefully, I can put it on cruise control for the time being.

Yay!

ScreenShot2014-10-16at92308AM_zps0c5c43d

• Like 1

I almost have all my levels where I want them with the doser. You will find that as you start getting closer to your targets that daily dosing of some solutions will lessen. I was originally dosing 16ml of Alk solution a day, now that my Cal and Mag are near where I need/want them my daily Alk dose has dropped to 13ml and my daily Cal requirement has sropped also. Now I just have to match my salt mix to my tank parameters and I can put it all on auto pilot haha.

• Like 2
Mr. Microscope

I almost have all my levels where I want them with the doser. You will find that as you start getting closer to your targets that daily dosing of some solutions will lessen. I was originally dosing 16ml of Alk solution a day, now that my Cal and Mag are near where I need/want them my daily Alk dose has dropped to 13ml and my daily Cal requirement has sropped also. Now I just have to match my salt mix to my tank parameters and I can put it all on auto pilot haha.

Nice! Thanks for the scoop. Yes, water changes are something I need to take into account. Afterwards, I think I need to not dose calcium for a few days until it levels out to 420.
  • Like 1

Nice! Thanks for the scoop. Yes, water changes are something I need to take into account. Afterwards, I think I need to not dose calcium for a few days until it levels out to 420.

I'm not sure on what salt mix you use bit I do a 50x50mix of Red Sea Coral Pro and Blue Bucket. Gives me 10.1dKH Alk, 420-430ppm Cal and about 1250-1280ppm Mag. I just need to figure out how much extra Mag I need to add to the mix to get it to 1350ppm. It all takes a little playing around but once you find the right ballance it should all be smooth sailing for you :).

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Yesterday, I met up with some local Nano-Reefers at Reefwise in Lilse, IL. Here's the thread about it:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/351895-nano-reef-meet-up-oct18th-reefwise/

We had a great time and saw a bunch of really nice stuff. I forgot to bring my camera, but the whole place is set-up like a coral farm/aquaculture facility rather than a LFS. It's a really nice format and one that I hope more shops emulate in the future. I picked up a healthy looking maricultured bubble gum milli. I fed it last night and it extended its polyps and threw out mesenterial filaments already. I know maricultured acros can be a gamble, but hope this one holds in my care.

Front

bubblegummilli0420141018_zpsc68f6396.jpg

Side

bubblegummilli0320141018_zpsbd7c0b94.jpg

Top down (color is more accurate here)

bubblegummilli0220141018_zps49802313.jpg

bubblegummilli0120141018_zps06e75fe8.jpg

• Like 10
Mr. Microscope

The vast majority of our SPS are maricultured. They're pretty hardy, don't stress it. :)

Cool cool. Thanks 4x5. This one did look particularily healthy with a little PE in their system, though I think they only had it for a couple weeks.

Nice Milli!

Thanks Mark!

Nice pick up! Yep I love me some reefwise! Is the new qt system done?

Thanks mpsti! Nope. Not finished yet, but it looks very nice. They did have some fish in the front. There was a very tiny, perhaps 1" kole tang that was hilariously cute. The yellow eye looked like it took up about half the fish. I was very very tempted to bring it home, but I knew I'd need to rehouse it too soon. Just couldn't do it in my 25 gallon DT. Can't wait to have a bigger tank some day so I house some bigger fish.
  • Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Just checked Potassium levels today with a Salifert kit. I was off the scale to start. So, I had to dilute my water in half with RODI and test again. The total measurement came out to 540ppm. hmm. I was originally thinking about dosing potassium, but this is already higher than my target. Though, I have heard of people running K as high as 800 to good effect...

Mr. Microscope

Here's some fun pics for Sunday night.

This is the first top down pic I've gotten of the Saramentosa since mounting it on the new rock.

saramentosa20141018_zpsba47b8b7.jpg

Another first pic, a Bonsai frag that I saved from the previous pillar.

Bonsai20141018_zps9f01bb6f.jpg

And some growth progress pics cause I love 'em!

Here's a Red Planet that I saved from STN. It's starting to encrust back together. I'm hoping to get some use out of it. I'd love to have a table one of these days.

trochuscleanup20140926_zpsc723dab4.jpg

redplanet20141019_zps1228a35f.jpg

Palmer's Blue Prostrata is chuffing along. PE keeps blowing me away by improving (the pic doesn't do it justice). Approximately one month growth.

PB20140915_zpsd8daa859.jpg

PBMilli20141018_zps3e4a4c45.jpg

The A. Nasuta is continuing to take off at a great pace. PE on this one is also fatastic. This is only two weeks growth!

anasuta20141005_zps15d71a63.jpg

nasuta20141019_zps298ee456.jpg

You have so many pages, but I do love the Millie

Thanks giga! Yeah, I was considering starting a new tank thread when I essentially restarted the tank with new rock, but it's kinda too late now. I'm a month and a half in.
  • Like 8

The vast majority of our SPS are maricultured. They're pretty hardy, don't stress it. :)

+1 Mari's aren't bad at all. They acclimate to tank life pretty good IMO/IME.

The new milli has some real nice potential.... but again I would suggest removing it from the base before putting it in your tank.

• Like 3