Cultivated Reef

Mr. Microscope's Cube 2.1

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

I made some calibration fluid today. 3.65% Sodium Chloride (35ppt (yes, I realize I wrote ppm on the tube :wacko: )).

photo1_zps14bbe136.jpg

If anyone is interested in whiping up thier own, it can be done with table salt if you don't have access to a few grams of lab quality sodium chloride. Here's some reading.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/

BTW, I'll be bringing some ampules of this for everyone that comes to the ReefWise meet-up! ;)

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/351895-nano-reef-meet-up-oct18th-reefwise/page-2

It turns out my refractometer was a little off. It was reading high which meant that my salt concentration has been low for a while. This might be another reason I'm having a harder time keeping up with Alk.

However, that shouldn't be too much of an issue in the future. I took the plunge and invested in the BRS 2 part kit to help maintain Alk, Ca, and Mg.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-2-part-calcium-alkalinity-total-package-bulk-1.html

I can't wait to see how my corals respond once everything gets up to par.

• Like 4
jedimasterben

Great information , I am debating on the BRS dosers or the eshopps - interested to see how you like them

Both of them aren't going to be all that great. BRS uses really low quality Chinese-made dosers versus what they used in the past, especially in their 'Drew's Doser', which used APT dosing heads.

If you are feeling like DIYing, then you can buy the APT heads separately, a cheap project box, and boom, a quality set of dosers for ~$150.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1773806

• Like 1
Both of them aren't going to be all that great. BRS uses really low quality Chinese-made dosers versus what they used in the past, especially in their 'Drew's Doser', which used APT dosing heads.

If you are feeling like DIYing, then you can buy the APT heads separately, a cheap project box, and boom, a quality set of dosers for ~$150.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1773806'>http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1773806

Thanks for the link Jedi- Sorry to hijack the thread Mr. Microscope- what's the knock on the eshopps ?

jedimasterben

Thanks for the link Jedi- Sorry to hijack the thread Mr. Microscope- what's the knock on the eshopps ?

Same issue, just Chinese knockoff dosing heads.

Gotcha- looks like I need to do a little more research- my lfs carries them - I tend to follow a lot of what they do there. Any recommendations on a better doser?

jedimasterben

Gotcha- looks like I need to do a little more research- my lfs carries them - I tend to follow a lot of what they do there. Any recommendations on a better doser?

Not really. Pretty much everything you see for sale uses the same quality heads. The link above really gives the best scenario for also a good price. Only thing you really need is a small hole saw to cut a hole in the plastic project box to stick the dosing heads through. That's my plan for when I need it, along with Red Sea supplements due to their superior concentration :)
  • Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Great information , I am debating on the BRS dosers or the eshopps - interested to see how you like them

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1773806

Not really. Pretty much everything you see for sale uses the same quality heads. The link above really gives the best scenario for also a good price. Only thing you really need is a small hole saw to cut a hole in the plastic project box to stick the dosing heads through. That's my plan for when I need it, along with Red Sea supplements due to their superior concentration :)

*Cricket noise*

um...I'm manually dosing. I'm getting the 2 part kit (click the link). Never said anything about getting a doser..

• Like 1
...*Cricket noise*...um...I'm manually dosing. I'm getting the 2 part kit (click the link). Never said anything about getting a doser..

Got it- my mistake

• Like 1
No worries. Wish I could get a doser. Though, I'd have no room for it in my stand anyway. Next tank! :)

I've just started dosing last few weeks manually also

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

I've just started dosing last few weeks manually also

Cool! How's it going for you? Has it been easy to keep up with? Have you noticed your corals responding yet? What are your target figures for Alk, Ca, and Mg?
  • Like 1
Mr. Microscope

i love the single tower look. i wonder how a 20-25" cube walk around tank with a center drilled overflow and returns (hidden by rock work) would look. sps popping out from all the sides...

Thanks Klein!

drool...I've contenplated something of that type many times in my dreams. I'm sure it'd be freakin' amazing! As you know, I love pennisula and walk around tanks.

Cool! How's it going for you? Has it been easy to keep up with? Have you noticed your corals responding yet? What are your target figures for Alk, Ca, and Mg?

It's been a little frustrating- I was able to maintain my Calcium with water changes for the longest time- but I would get some large swings - my Alk has always ran pretty low- usually around 6. I would like to get to 8-9. Calcium staying around 420-30 . Been dosing about 3ml Alk and 3ml Ca-I've gone to daily this week creeping up slowly- everyone's been happy so I've taken it really slow. I've been dosing 2ml Mg. - I just picked up a Mag test today so I will have 3 parameter numbers now- make things a little more accurate with Mg. Did my weekly 5gal. w/c tonight so I will ck parameters tomorrow. I haven't noticed anything negative from anyone so I am happy with that. How about you - what is your tank demanding at this point?

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

Thanks Klein!

drool...I've contenplated something of that type many times in my dreams. I'm sure it'd be freakin' amazing! As you know, I love pennisula and walk around tanks.

my frag tank was originally gonna be a peninsula tank, but i changed my mind at the last second. big mistake there... it probably would have ended up a display hahah

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

It's been a little frustrating- I was able to maintain my Calcium with water changes for the longest time- but I would get some large swings - my Alk has always ran pretty low- usually around 6. I would like to get to 8-9. Calcium staying around 420-30 . Been dosing about 3ml Alk and 3ml Ca-I've gone to daily this week creeping up slowly- everyone's been happy so I've taken it really slow. I've been dosing 2ml Mg. - I just picked up a Mag test today so I will have 3 parameter numbers now- make things a little more accurate with Mg. Did my weekly 5gal. w/c tonight so I will ck parameters tomorrow. I haven't noticed anything negative from anyone so I am happy with that. How about you - what is your tank demanding at this point?

Alk has been my most demanding, but I think I've finally got that one in line.

my frag tank was originally gonna be a peninsula tank, but i changed my mind at the last second. big mistake there... it probably would have ended up a display hahah

D'oh!
Mr. Microscope

Took a few shots today. I'm tracking growth on the Nasuta and Milli. I'm hoping things improve once I get Alk, Ca, and Mg more up to par, but I'm happy so far.

20 days (almost three weeks) growth.

A. Nasuta

ANasuta0220140915_zpsd9e7b861.jpg

anasuta20141005_zps15d71a63.jpg

Palmer's Blue Milli (Prastrata?)

PB20140915_zpsd8daa859.jpg

PB20141005_zps88c3f552.jpg

Here's a fun top down shot. Yes, my banded trochus have been keeping the BB stellar! I didn't scrub it. You should see how clean my powerheads are. Also, all the plugs on my frag rack are sparkling!

topdown20141004_zps13ebb927.jpg

• Like 10

Mr M, do you have an automated topoff? If so look into Seachem Reef Builder mixed with the topoff water, either than or Kalk. Sorry if this has been covered before. You probably can;t get away from two part but you can at least better stabilize the Alk levels which the SPS should like.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Looking good. Without a doubt that palmers blue is coming back. Sounds like the banded torchus are doing their jobs.

Thanks neuwave!

Mr M, do you have an automated topoff? If so look into Seachem Reef Builder mixed with the topoff water, either than or Kalk. Sorry if this has been covered before. You probably can;t get away from two part but you can at least better stabilize the Alk levels which the SPS should like.

Thanks mark. Nope, I do manual top offs. I actually bought some kalk a while ago and intended to set something up, but there's just no room (or budget for it). Next tank!
Mr. Microscope

Here's another one I'll be tracking progress on. This one is sitting on my rack. I have no idea what it will turn out to be, but I hope it starts branching soon and giving me a hint. It's the brightest yellow-green of any green acro I've ever seen. Pic doesn't do it justice.

unknowngreenacro20141006_zps53e94f9c.jpg

• Like 7