Coral Vue Hydros

Mr. Microscope's Cube 2.1

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Looks good, but needs moar sand ;)

Thanks Ben! Would love to add a fine layer, but between having my MP10 at 100% and the WP-10 at 50%, it would push the sand around too much. I actually had that problem with my sand when I had a much thicker layer of it and only had the MP-10 in there running at about 60%. If I had a longer tank I think it might work, but the dynamics of the cube don't really allow it.

On the subject of sand.... how are you liking the BB? Been considering it <_<.

I actually love it a lot more that I thought I would. I'm really able to keep nutrients down and can observe exactly how much detritus is building up in my tank. I can also remove detritus a lot easier, even under my rock. Having BB also forces you to have a cleaner tank from an aesthetic standpoint as frags and corals sitting on bare bottom really don't look good. I'd compare it to having a refrigerator with glass doors where you're less likely to leave old food in there since you can actually see it every day.

Looks great. I love all the acans.

Thanks Patrick!

Thanks Ben! Would love to add a fine layer, but between having my MP10 at 100% and the WP-10 at 50%, it would push the sand around too much. I actually had that problem with my sand when I had a much thicker layer of it and only had the MP-10 in there running at about 60%. If I had a longer tank I think it might work, but the dynamics of the cube don't really allow it.I actually love it a lot more that I thought I would. I'm really able to keep nutrients down and can observe exactly how much detritus is building up in my tank. I can also remove detritus a lot easier, even under my rock. Having BB also forces you to have a cleaner tank from an aesthetic standpoint as frags and corals sitting on bare bottom really don't look good. I'd compare it to having a refrigerator with glass doors where you're less likely to leave old food in there since you can actually see it every day.Thanks Patrick!

Not having to siphon my sand bed sounds so appealing lol. And the easier control of nutrients from being able to clean out detritus.

• Like 1

i wish i had coarser sand, whenever i tried to turn the 4 mp10s up the sand would cover all my LPS that resided near the bottom. part of me just wish i left them cranked up, then moved the LPS, but there's not much i can do now being 1700 miles away. haha

p.s. the tank looks amazing, can't wait to see how those sps grow out!

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

i wish i had coarser sand, whenever i tried to turn the 4 mp10s up the sand would cover all my LPS that resided near the bottom. part of me just wish i left them cranked up, then moved the LPS, but there's not much i can do now being 1700 miles away. haha

p.s. the tank looks amazing, can't wait to see how those sps grow out!

I had fairly coarse reef flake sand. Though, after two years it really backfired on me with nutrient build up.

1700 miles? Where are you?

Thanks man!

How much did you feed this tank when it won TOTM? Looks like a very lite feeding schedule and you might get more colors if you feed MORE! I won't really be happy until this tank is mostly SPS again. :)

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

currently in boise, id. :o

How long? Come back man! Your tank is calling..

How much did you feed this tank when it won TOTM? Looks like a very lite feeding schedule and you might get more colors if you feed MORE!

Yeah...things were a little out of hand back then. I definitely got good color in my SPS sometimes, but other times my tank was out of whack because I was taking some drastic measure to eliminate algae.

I may indeed increase feeding, at least with the microfoods. Although, when I'm broadcast feeding, I'd hardly call it light. Two scoops may not sound like much, but it's a cloud in there when I dump it in. I'm trying to take a more paced approach and control nutrients by adding them rather than taking them. The biopellets seem to be helping with that. The PE on my SPS is better than it's ever been and everything is really healthy. The reason I lost color lately was due to having stuff in holding during the change over and the nems lost color due to my F-up with H2O2.

I won't really be happy until this tank is mostly SPS again. :)

LOL!

Once my nems are completely back to their former glory, I may sell or trade them off for more SPS...but maybe not. I really enjoy their movement in the current with the long pulse off the MP10.

Looking great man!

Thanks Begow!

How long? Come back man! Your tank is calling..

!

Depends. If I like it out here, I'll go to grad school out here too and probably stay out here. If I don't, I'll move back home next summer after my lease ends. But don't worry if I like it I have a whole tank build on mind, and I have most of the big equipment I need. (Lights, ato, doser, vessels) but I have a long way to go before I can set it up. My current apartment doesn't allow fish tanks so if I stay I'm moving somewhere that does.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Depends. If I like it out here, I'll go to grad school out here too and probably stay out here. If I don't, I'll move back home next summer after my lease ends. But don't worry if I like it I have a whole tank build on mind, and I have most of the big equipment I need. (Lights, ato, doser, vessels) but I have a long way to go before I can set it up. My current apartment doesn't allow fish tanks so if I stay I'm moving somewhere that does.

Interesting. It sucks that you can't have a tank now, but it's awesome that you have that equipment already. I'm guessing you're thinking an SPS dominant tank since you have dosers?

LOL, I would never ask an apartment complex if I could have a tank. Although, I'd probably just ignore them if they told me outright before I even asked.

Interesting. It sucks that you can't have a tank now, but it's awesome that you have that equipment already. I'm guessing you're thinking an SPS dominant tank since you have dosers?

LOL, I would never ask an apartment complex if I could have a tank. Although, I'd probably just ignore them if they told me outright before I even asked.

i'd rather not gamble since the property management people are pretty awful to deal with in general.

i'll always be an sps guy! ;D

• Like 1

Love that new FTS. Its a cool idea how you have the SPS corals out on branch pieces like that. I'm so glad to see the anemones are recovering. I can definitely see that the one rainbow is getting its color back.

• Like 1

Awesome Mr M! I know what it feels like to have the tank infested with algae. Having similar problems myself. However for me, it is not practical to start over like that. Don't have the time or money, so I will nurse it until the problem goes away. Had it before, I can get rid of it again. I like your idea better though :D

• Like 1

currently in boise, id. :o

Corals4cheap is a pretty good LFS up there, Ive been once, had a good selection of everything. Gonna make a trip again in a month or so.

@Mr.Microscope this is such a good FTS, looks amazing!

ftsblue20140929_zpsb18cf420.jpg

• Like 4
Mr. Microscope

Make the trip out to ReefWise.

I love it there!

Gotta plan on it one of these Saturdays. Maybe a local Nano-Reef meet-up!? Perhaps I'll have to start a thread.

EDIT: Heads-up! http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/351895-nano-reef-meet-up-oct18th-reefwise/#entry4843813

Love that new FTS. Its a cool idea how you have the SPS corals out on branch pieces like that. I'm so glad to see the anemones are recovering. I can definitely see that the one rainbow is getting its color back.

Thanks Felicia! This is the proudest I've been of my tank in a long time.

Yeah, you can almost see the rainbow on in the blue FTS better than you can in the close-up of the nem garden. lol.

Awesome Mr M! I know what it feels like to have the tank infested with algae. Having similar problems myself. However for me, it is not practical to start over like that. Don't have the time or money, so I will nurse it until the problem goes away. Had it before, I can get rid of it again. I like your idea better though :D

Thanks Friar! I really wanted to upgrade and build a whole new tank, but that wasn't in the cards for me financially. This new rock was kind of a fresh start and an upgrade in a way. If you go with dry rock, Dr. Tim's for cycling, and a cheap 10 gallon holding tank for your livestock during the switchover, you could probably do the change for less than $75. Something to think about.

@Mr.Microscope this is such a good FTS, looks amazing!

Thanks Slown! (and thanks for the FTS bump ;) )

Looking good :D tempts me to go BB again. I think I just need less sand.

Thanks Jaime! If you can keep a very thin layer in place with your flow( < 1/2 inch), I imagine it'd be pretty close to BB as far as maintenance goes. In that case, it'd just be aesthetic and easy to siphon out completely.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Looks fantastic, Mr. M!!!!! I love that you went back to SPS for this tank too. I think pillar aquascapes like that pretty much demand some SPS :).

Thanks Gena! Yes, and they're loving my water and feeding regime at the moment. Also, the branch rock really gives them adequate space to grow without bumping into each other. That was one issue I had innitially with SPS when I started getting into them a couple years ago; I positioned them growing too close together and had to move some as they grew.
  • Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Just received my 1 liter of pods from keydiver and added them to the tank. I dumped all of them in there at once and tested for Nitrates and Phosphates before and after adding. Neither were affected! I can't wait to see them swarm!

Thanks Tim!

• Like 1