Pod Your Reef

Danielle's • NC24 • Moderately updated • FTS 5/26

surgicalsense

surgicalsense

GSP, Blue cloves, mushrooms.

Thank you ... I do want more colorful mushies. Cloves too.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

What is low growing and I can grow it near finger leather with out the leather starting some sort of chemical warfare?

Clams. :)

surgicalsense

Clams. :)

I wasn't thinking that :lol: ... no room for a clam in this NC. I have my little orange bi-valve.

Get a Be Be clam, their so cute when their like 2" or so, and they grow kind of slow.

The when it gets bigger it's your excuse to get a bigger tank! My plan with kevin and the new one.

surgicalsense

Get a Be Be clam, their so cute when their like 2" or so, and they grow kind of slow.

The when it gets bigger it's your excuse to get a bigger tank! My plan with kevin and the new one.

So I can create ... tank stress. Not yet! :lol: I have to keep this nem alive first. That is stressing me out enough for now :closedeyes:

I will up grade soon, but not within this year for sure. Not enough $$$$ for that and this NC has to first grow out first.

jedimasterben

I wasn't thinking that :lol: ... no room for a clam in this NC. I have my little orange bi-valve.

No room? BS. :P

Hitchiker bivalves don't count. :)

Yep, crocea (not recommended for this tank though) would grow about 1mm per month, squamosa and derasa would grow around 6mm per month, and maxima (probably not best either) would grow around 3mm per month.

surgicalsense

No room? BS. :P

Hitchiker bivalves don't count. :)

Yep, crocea (not recommended for this tank though) would grow about 1mm per month, squamosa and derasa would grow around 6mm per month, and maxima (probably not best either) would grow around 3mm per month.

No clam to add tank stress I can not mentally handle :lol: .... Nem drama is bad enough for now :P

jedimasterben

Clams aren't bad as long as you give them plenty of light (400+ PAR for crocea, 200+ for maxima, 100-150+ for derasa and squamosa) and have some dissolved nitrogen and don't let alk fall too much, they'll do fine for the most part.

Clams are very, very interesting creatures. After reading through James Fatherree's book on them (Giant Clams in the Sea and the Aquarium) I'm simply fascinated by them.

Get a small squammi, but I bet you could keep a crocea on the top rock.

And with the smaller ones under 3" it;s mostly about broadcast feeding phyto after they get 3"+ they mostly rely on their light.

jedimasterben

Get a small squammi, but I bet you could keep a crocea on the top rock.

Crocea need immense amounts of light. Two Panorama modules will not cut it, even with the clam directly at the water's surface IMHO.

And with the smaller ones under 3" it;s mostly about broadcast feeding phyto after they get 3"+ they mostly rely on their light.

Not true. Clams begin to capture and culture zooxanthellae during to immediately after settlement (when they start forming their shells) and are self-sustaining on zooxanthellae from there. While they have the ability to filter feed (and do to varying extents), as long as there is dissolved nitrogen and phosphorus in the water (in the form of ammonia/ammonium, nitrate, and phosphate), they have no need to filter feed except to try and capture new strains of zooxanthellae - most of the particulate food they capture they will spit right back out without processing it as psuedofeces (James Fatherree refers to this as 'fake turds' lol).

Filter feeding in theory could make up for a light deficiency, but in practice, the clam will still starve to death over a period of a few months without dissolved nitrogen and phosphorus. The CZAR (contribution by zooxanthellae to average daily respiratory needs) in a well-illuminated clam will be at least 125% of the daily carbon/energy needs of the clam and it will be fully self-sustained, and is this way immediately after settlement.

James Fatherree's book is awesome, busts all kinds of myths out there and has a ridiculous amount of information. Well worth the purchase price!

Crocea need immense amounts of light. Two Panorama modules will not cut it, even with the clam directly at the water's surface IMHO.

Not true. Clams begin to capture and culture zooxanthellae during to immediately after settlement (when they start forming their shells) and are self-sustaining on zooxanthellae from there. While they have the ability to filter feed (and do to varying extents), as long as there is dissolved nitrogen and phosphorus in the water (in the form of ammonia/ammonium, nitrate, and phosphate), they have no need to filter feed except to try and capture new strains of zooxanthellae - most of the particulate food they capture they will spit right back out without processing it as psuedofeces (James Fatherree refers to this as 'fake turds' lol).

Filter feeding in theory could make up for a light deficiency, but in practice, the clam will still starve to death over a period of a few months without dissolved nitrogen and phosphorus. The CZAR (contribution by zooxanthellae to average daily respiratory needs) in a well-illuminated clam will be at least 125% of the daily carbon/energy needs of the clam and it will be fully self-sustained, and is this way immediately after settlement.

James Fatherree's book is awesome, busts all kinds of myths out there and has a ridiculous amount of information. Well worth the purchase price!

Can I borrow the book along with the light meter Benny?

surgicalsense

I need to find a local tank sitter <_<

I had to make an emergency trip to Los Angeles at the drop of a dime.

... so of course my tanks did suffer :( while I was away.

:unsure:

I'm sorry to hear that. What happened?

Bummer about the tank. I hope it's just minor issues. How many days did you end up being away? 4-5?
surgicalsense

I'm sorry to hear that. What happened?

My son had a head injury which resulted in a brain bleed and emergency surgery. He is stable and home now.

Left my tanks with no one to watch them. Lost a fish, my pretty leather coral. All the other corals are mad but recovering. My nem is a strange creature. Looks awful. Yet it is happily thriving and growing. So I am doing something right.

Bummer about the tank. I hope it's just minor issues. How many days did you end up being away? 4-5?

About 5 total.

I went to my LFS and told them what happened. He kind of chewed me out, saying next time have them come and tank sit for me. Which I will. Thank goodness for Vivid Reef. Also, their RODI water is the best. I made SW this afternoon for that second WC I told you about. Mixed up so nice. 12g they sold to me and only charged $4.50.

surgicalsense

Glad to hear your son is stable, that must have been a very worrisome time for you. Hugs.

Yes, thank you and a awful 13 hour drive straight to the hospital. Also, the way he received the injury is just :blink:

On his razor scooter (not even going fast, let alone moving at all) leaning forward, with the back wheel up and all his weight on the handles and baring down on the front wheel. Before he knew it and could even react to even break his fall. Bam!!! head first right into the pavement.

OMG Danielle, so sorry to hear bout your sons injury. As parents that's always our worst nightmare. Happy that hes home and hope he makes a speedy recovery! Bummer on the coral & fish loss. To top it all off Boston lost the series tonight :(

So i'm sure your hubbys not in a good mood either. Good to know in future Jin can be a TS for you atleast. Well, keep your head up. Let me know if there's anything i can do.

About 5 total.

I went to my LFS and told them what happened. He kind of chewed me out, saying next time have them come and tank sit for me. Which I will. Thank goodness for Vivid Reef. Also, their RODI water is the best. I made SW this afternoon for that second WC I told you about. Mixed up so nice. 12g they sold to me and only charged $4.50.

That's nice knowing you have a TS now! I need one. So cool you still have a "Vivid" LFS. :D
surgicalsense

OMG Danielle, so sorry to hear bout your sons injury. As parents that's always our worst nightmare. Happy that hes home and hope he makes a speedy recovery! Bummer on the coral & fish loss. To top it all off Boston lost the series tonight :(

So i'm sure your hubbys not in a good mood either. Good to know in future Jin can be a TS for you atleast. Well, keep your head up. Let me know if there's anything i can do.

Thank you, Z

surgicalsense

That's nice knowing you have a TS now! I need one. So cool you still have a "Vivid" LFS. :D

It helps knowing I can go to them. They took them name Vivid from the Vivid we know in Canoga Park. I was told the store in Canoga was his inspiration to the Vivid Reef he has opened. I always get greeted by first name when I walk in the door which is pretty cool, better then the treatment I would get from the stores I would frequent back in Cali.

:happy:

surgicalsense

Oh and I did not lose my tiny male pom pom .... I found him when I took the LR out of my pico and looked really hard in little holes in the rock. I wasn't kidding when I said he was tiny.

Archived