Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Danielle's • NC24 • Moderately updated • FTS 5/26

surgicalsense

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
surgicalsense

I'd say the best way to tell is if it is in two parts suddenly. :P

:lol: duh! ... it is hard to tell since it is in the soap dish.

But it has stretched itself from what I can tell in front and I tried to get a clear picture of the foot.

Q:

What are the tall tale signs of a nem that is splitting?

... other then it stretching itself out in two directions :mellow:

Show us a picture. :) Even if it's a "bad" one.
jedimasterben

This is the itty bitty one, right? If so, it's not going to split... and if it does, it's probably toast.

surgicalsense

This is the itty bitty one, right? If so, it's not going to split... and if it does, it's probably toast.

Yes, it is a itty bitty one, about the size of a silver dollar.

I have had mixed reviews on that. Many say it is going to die and many say it is not. So with that said I will have to take it as it comes.

surgicalsense

eAY5wzT.jpg

Splitting BTA

Show us a picture. :) Even if it's a "bad" one.

Posted it, I had to wait for L iphone :)

surgicalsense

Totally looks like it's splitting. I hope it does ok!!!!

It is doing just fine, but I wasn't! ... I returned the nem to Vivid.

• 2 weeks later...
surgicalsense

More boring updates :lol:

A little over 24 hours ago, I noticed my 6 line was acting odd. So, I fed the tank. She ate, so least that part of how ill the fish was was ruled out. Then to my surprise there was a discoloration on the right side of the fish on it's body. Pinkish bubble like. Of course I took pictures and failed to post them here for advise, because I am lazy like that.

Step 2 ... I finely (well my husband did) chopped up a halve clove of garlic and added it to my defrosted mysis cube. All the fish, etc. Nom'ed everything thing up. The bubble like parasite thing has slightly deflated. So, today I have another garlic mysis feeding ready for the tank. This time I let the garlic marinate with the mysis and chopped even finer. I hope I can save this fish or least make it comfortable.

If needed I will post the picture of parasite or whatever that is on the side of the wrasse. What could it be? In my 2 years of reefing this is my first issue with something on my fish.

More boring updates :lol:

A little over 24 hours ago, I noticed my 6 line was acting odd. So, I fed the tank. She ate, so least that part of how ill the fish was was ruled out. Then to my surprise there was a discoloration on the right side of the fish on it's body. Pinkish bubble like. Of course I took pictures and failed to post them here for advise, because I am lazy like that.

Step 2 ... I finely (well my husband did) chopped up a halve clove of garlic and added it to my defrosted mysis cube. All the fish, etc. Nom'ed everything thing up. The bubble like parasite thing has slightly deflated. So, today I have another garlic mysis feeding ready for the tank. This time I let the garlic marinate with the mysis and chopped even finer. I hope I can save this fish or least make it comfortable.

If needed I will post the picture of parasite or whatever that is on the side of the wrasse. What could it be? In my 2 years of reefing this is my first issue with something on my fish.

If it's a parasite, sounds like an isopod. Freshwater dip would probably do the trick. I've done them before for flukes. You just have to match temp and pH (easy to do with baking soda). If isopods are anything like flukes, it should just drop right off.
surgicalsense

Gena the crazy part is. How the heck do I catch the 6 line? She is in and out of the rock scape like a damsel.

Gena the crazy part is. How the heck do I catch the 6 line? She is in and out of the rock scape like a damsel.

Yep...that's the hardest part. I was able to do it with mine. Hmmmm...trying to remember how I did it. :lol: I'm pretty sure food was involved. LOL. I was able to dip my coral beauty angel and the sixline. More than one time too. Sixlines are so smart. I think I used a clear container and when the sixline went near it for food I scooped it right out.

If you do manage to catch it and dip it, be warned...it will look like it's dead in the dip. They can't stay upright in freshwater.

surgicalsense

Yep...that's the hardest part. I was able to do it with mine. Hmmmm...trying to remember how I did it. :lol: I'm pretty sure food was involved. LOL. I was able to dip my coral beauty angel and the sixline. More than one time too. Sixlines are so smart. I think I used a clear container and when the sixline went near it for food I scooped it right out.

If you do manage to catch it and dip it, be warned...it will look like it's dead in the dip. They can't stay upright in freshwater.

OMG I feel pretty lame ... I do not have baking soda, I have baking powder. Is there a huge difference and what does that do in the process to the isopod besides kill it. I am still going to do the garlic feed, only because it looks like it is making the fish more comfortable. But, that might be my chance to catch it to.

How the heck did I get a isopod in my tank?

OMG I feel pretty lame ... I do not have baking soda, I have baking powder. Is there a huge difference and what does that do in the process to the isopod besides kill it. I am still going to do the garlic feed, only because it looks like it is making the fish more comfortable. But, that might be my chance to catch it to.

How the heck did I get a isopod in my tank?

Baking powder is NOT the same thing. :) You need baking soda. Arm and hammer or generic. Just make sure it's baking soda. The baking soda is strictly for raising the pH of your freshwater. It does nothing to the isopod. The freshwater is what kills the isopod. I think we need to see a picture though before you go through all that hassle. It could just be an injury.

Isopods can HH on live rock.

surgicalsense

Posting in a few, not super clear but you can see the pinkish blemish on the side of the wrasse.

Good news is it has healed 80% since I have started the garlic feed. But she is not in the clear :unsure:

OKo9dHY.jpg

You can see the raised bubble on her side. Not super clear here.

surgicalsense

Could she have gotten stung by something? Or hit by a clown?

It would of been the hammer coral and the duncan, if that is the case. I do not have anything else that aggressive corals. Plus the nem is living somewhere else now. Very possible with the clowns.

I wonder if they didn't give him a good head butt.

Eating and swimming okay? No other marks? It's not an open wound right?

How are you doing by the way I have been meaning to call you and check on you since our last conversation and everything else. :flower:

surgicalsense

I wonder if they didn't give him a good head butt.

Eating and swimming okay? No other marks? It's not an open wound right?

How are you doing by the way I have been meaning to call you and check on you since our last conversation and everything else. :flower:

Yup, eating like a glutton as usual. No it does not look like an open wound, even when it was at it worst 36 hours ago. I wonder if the garlic mysis shrimp marinate is helping fingerscrossed

Yes, much better. Now just problem solving the shoulder issue.

surgicalsense

.... Garlic

What a amazing veggie ... the enzymes work wonders. After 3 days of mini Mysis marinated/minced garlic feds, my 6 line has recovered from what ever parasite was on it. There appears to be a small irritated area once where the, "thing" was. I hope it was clear up completely with no scars.

:)

As for the rest of the tank, I miss not having the baby nem. But honestly regardless of how mature my 2 year old tank is. My tank was really set for a nem. But once I get my shallow under way. I do feel my need for a shallow reef is beginning to trump my want for a RSM ;)

Shallow reef w/ a sump is my vote! You'll never look back.

I love my RSM.......But I have to totally agree with Zia, I think you'll be much happier!!!!

surgicalsense

I love my RSM.......But I have to totally agree with Zia, I think you'll be much happier!!!!

I am so glad that you and Zia know what tank will fill me with happiness :lol: .... agreed, I always have taking a huge liking to the shallows. Plus I would need to always use a step stool with the RSM ... well I do that already with the NC :lol:

Archived