Pod Your Reef

Danielle's • NC24 • Moderately updated • FTS 5/26

surgicalsense

surgicalsense

Yea, i have some in my display fuge.

Okie doke :) ... what I would like to find are the short blue xenia.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that i think about mine are blue but there longer stem ones. They pulsate like crazy. If its different than what you got, i have plenty of frags of it in the frag tank.

surgicalsense

Now that i think about mine are blue but there longer stem ones. They pulsate like crazy. If its different than what you got, i have plenty of frags of it in the frag tank.

Mine stand 2.5in tall the most. Real thick, bushy, and pastel pink. And lean and walk.

surgicalsense

I was standing guard with my long tongs because:

I even gave them lil snacks prior to try to relax them, but ...

Between my two clowns and six line ... it was so bad I had to turn the lights off so my nem can eat without be bothered by the fish. Good grief!

:angry: bad fish.

Is your nem looking any better? My nem is still going through a crappy looking phase. I am actually thinking about putting it higher in the tank. I don't think It is getting enough light for some weird reason. Do your clowns steal food from the nem? My clowns actually take food to the nem once they have ate enough, or at least the female does. I have never seen a clown fish steal food from their nem, I have only seen them feed their nem.

surgicalsense

Is your nem looking any better? My nem is still going through a crappy looking phase. I am actually thinking about putting it higher in the tank. I don't think It is getting enough light for some weird reason. Do your clowns steal food from the nem? My clowns actually take food to the nem once they have ate enough, or at least the female does. I have never seen a clown fish steal food from their nem, I have only seen them feed their nem.

If I do not police the feeding, both clowns and the wrasse will try to steal food. My clowns are not that bright and are gluttons, I have not seen them take any food to the nem yet.

Maybe they are just using the nem instinctively, they have yet to fall in love. :lol:

I read a cool article on the symbiotic relationship, in addition to feeding the nem, the clownfish snuggling behavior brings water flow and air to the nem. Pretty cool.

surgicalsense

Maybe they are just using the nem instinctively, they have yet to fall in love. :lol:

I read a cool article on the symbiotic relationship, in addition to feeding the nem, the clownfish snuggling behavior brings water flow and air to the nem. Pretty cool.

That least the male clown did, snuggling :wub: ... the female hasn't fallen in love yet confused actually. But, they are bad food thieves. This includes the wrasse :angry:

Once I moved the them, the clowns freaked a little bit wondering where it went all of a sudden. The nem looks content right now. It is trying to bubble up, so I think it will better off isolated from the "abusive food thieves" for a bit.

Turned my lights up a bit more, the nem is happy. however the monti is not (not surprised :P) I may move it down lower just so the nem will trump the light % over what the monti wants.

surgicalsense

Fluval Pico update:

For the few who recall my Marine land 3g that I upgraded the lights with. Well I took the Ecopico strips out of that and mickey moused them in my Fluval pico. Due to the size of the stock hood cover the the strips, it was the cleanest job. But it is not sloppy either, hood sticks up a tad in the rear but nothing horribly noticeable at first glance .... maybe the second :lol: ... please keep in mind the few corals in there have thrived, but their colors look iffy while only under the weak stock white only LED that came with the Fluval.

Pics soon ;)

• 2 weeks later...
surgicalsense

Okay strange days!

I found my pistol shrimp the rear chamber of my tank. But wait there's more! It was on top of my filter floss of my inTank media rack :blink:

Not sure how long it has been there or how it got there. Just so random.

... sorry I have not posted pictures of the pico, my son just got into town and I have been swamped. I will asap promise.

Okay strange days!

I found my pistol shrimp the rear chamber of my tank. But wait there's more! It was on top of my filter floss of my inTank media rack :blink:

Not sure how long it has been there or how it got there. Just so random.

... sorry I have not posted pictures of the pico, my son just got into town and I have been swamped. I will asap promise.

Crazy lil pistol! You found em alive i hope?

And the crowd chants..Pico pics Pico pics.....

Hey Danyello! Just got caught up with yer thread.....

Glad to hear your son is OK and the tank seems to be doing well!!!!!

surgicalsense

Crazy lil pistol! You found em alive i hope?

And the crowd chants..Pico pics Pico pics.....

Yes it was alive, thank goodness. My tiger pistol is pretty awesome. Almost 3 inches long and still thriving.

I will post the pico pictures tonight, will us L's iphone :)

Hey Danyello! Just got caught up with yer thread.....

Glad to hear your son is OK and the tank seems to be doing well!!!!!

Yup he is here now with me in Abq. I glad your feeling better, I hope :happy:

Alright if things could not get weirder in my NC. Also, I obviously need to do my homework on feather dusters.

My feather duster lost it's feathers :o ... Do they molt?

yay pics...

huh, I had my tiny little feathery things lose their feathers before, but eventually they came back. Not sure why it happened and wasn't aware that it could. Hope they come back soon. I hope you don't mind if I don't read your whole thread >_> it's way too long lol.

and silly pistol shrimp! lol

surgicalsense

ecGhbXC.jpg

yay pics...

huh, I had my tiny little feathery things lose their feathers before, but eventually they came back. Not sure why it happened and wasn't aware that it could. Hope they come back soon. I hope you don't mind if I don't read your whole thread >_> it's way too long lol.

and silly pistol shrimp! lol

Please do ... it is a mess of nonsense and great stuff AIO :lol:

Also it appears it still is inside the tube.

plyRKaU.jpg

+1 on what Nic said ^ They can grow back.

There's a few reasons they can loose their crown:
Stress
Starvation
Growth

Feather Dusters rely on water current to bring them food.

too strong of a power head beating it, picking fish etc.. are just some of the things that stress them and cause the crown to fall off.

You need to add Kents microvert, zooplankton or something like it to the water for it to feed on. Feather dusters are filter feeders. A fan worm will keep losing it's crown and regrow it smaller and smaller until it dies. Be careful to not overfeed, what feeds feather dusters...also feeds algae.

surgicalsense

eAAPEJ0.jpg

I think this was taken several weeks back. Notice the duncan is mad. Today it is pretty perky.

Also the nem is still in the rock in this picture. It has been in the soap dish and is growing back it's tentacles.

+1 on what Nic said ^ They can grow back.

There's a few reasons they can loose their crown:
Stress
Starvation
Growth

Feather Dusters rely on water current to bring them food.

too strong of a power head beating it, picking fish etc.. are just some of the things that stress them and cause the crown to fall off.

You need to add Kents microvert, zooplankton or something like it to the water for it to feed on. Feather dusters are filter feeders. A fan worm will keep losing it's crown and regrow it smaller and smaller until it dies. Be careful to not overfeed, what feeds feather dusters...also feeds algae.

I know for a fact that none of the fish or other inverts bother it. It is a pretty nice area where the current gets it in the back of the tank and it has also moved itself/tubing into a position it likes. However, I do need to crop dust the tank, I have fumbled on that part this week :unsure:

Please do ... it is a mess of nonsense and great stuff AIO :lol:

Also it appears it still is inside the tube.

aio?

I will read eventually... :)

cute tank

surgicalsense

aio?

I will read eventually... :)

cute tank

AIO = All In One :D

Thank you .... it has improved since I first set it up.

AIO = All In One :D

Thank you .... it has improved since I first set it up.

that's what I thought you meant, but wasn't sure :P

It'll take me a while, though D:

Wow, didnt expect that Pico to be so awesome. There so small, hard to do anything great with em. But you nailed it. Love the scape, so cool how the rock is wider at bottom and spirals and gets smaller at the top. Looks so clean and natural. The gorg n gobie rock!

surgicalsense

Wow, didnt expect that Pico to be so awesome. There so small hard to do anything great with em. But you nailed it. Love the scape, so cool how the rock is wider at bottom and spiral and gets smaller at the top. Looks so clean and natural. The gorg n gobie rock!

Mind you this is my 3rd clown goby <_< for the pico. 3rd one is a charm, so far.

The LR are actually two rocks. I was lucky, they worked and thank you :) .... The gorg was not liking the NC so much these days.

Thats right, i totally spaced. That gorg was in the NC, derp. Looks better in the pico. Its the star of the show in there. Hey great idea on epoxying him to the rock like that. I just shoved all mine into crevices in the rock in my display fuge. I need to quit being lazy and go back and epoxy them so they don't lean, fall, have parts die off that rubbing against rock etc.. Dam it, another 'honey do project' for me to ad to the list. i swear i'm a slave to my tanks...

surgicalsense

Thats right, i totally spaced. That gorg was in the NC, derp. Looks better in the pico. Its the star of the show in there. Hey great idea on epoxying him to the rock like that. I just shoved all mine into crevices in the rock in my display fuge. I need to quit being lazy and go back and epoxy them so they don't lean, fall, have parts die off that rubbing against rock etc.. Dam it, another 'honey do project' for me to ad to the list. i swear i'm a slave to my tanks...

That is what I was doing with the gorg, shoving it into the grooves in the LR. I figured I better hop to it and get it done.

• 2 weeks later...
surgicalsense

Q:

What are the tall tale signs of a nem that is splitting?

... other then it stretching itself out in two directions :mellow:

Archived