Pod Your Reef

Danielle's • NC24 • Moderately updated • FTS 5/26

surgicalsense

surgicalsense

How? How would this happen when right now it's getting beat to death? I know it'll stress everything does but if it's in the same water the same flow and the same PAR WTF does it matter? And I hate to say it but didn't you lose everything when you tried your methods? I don't want to fight Ben but you are not 100% right and your tank proved that. Just sick of you bashing everyone's else's ideas or methods saying yours are the best when they haven't worked so far. K that's all. No fighting no arguing, just unless you have something helpful to say don't say it. Coming in here to say meh that won't work but not giving advise on how to help is redundant and not productive to these situations. (Sorry SS didn't meant to I am just at the end of a rope)

If it's covered with mesh on top so the clowns can't get in and placed on the bottom of the tank. I think moving the clowns would be the best idea but if that is not possible then this is another option. It's that or the nem dies for sure.

I like the basket idea, just do it right. Is he on a huge rock or a little piece of rubble SS? If it's a small rock just move the whole thing don't get him to detach.

No it is not on a small rock. It has literally walked over and attached it self to the largest main base LR in the tank <_< ... so there is no way I am moving it with a rock. I think the basket idea is great, I totally forgot Gena did that with all those carpet nems she had and nursed them back to health.

Also if anything I know my tank. If I was able to move the nem into the basket, it would get the exact same water flow and lighting. I am actually confused that where it has walked over to and settled is less lighting, nothing drastic of course.

I still feel bad I didn't meet up with you guys when I was in California. So much going on lol. Missed my chance to goto Vivid too

Oh do not feel bad. I was unable to change my work schedule around during that time, even while I was working in Santa Monica the time you were able to visit. But, it would of been totally awesome to hang out and party with you :D

I hate to say it, but you'll probably stress the nem out by putting it in that, especially for the amount of time it would need to grow beyond the size of your clowns. More harm than good, IMHO.

Even if I was able to get the nem to go into the basket, it would get the same moderate flow and light it needs. All I would need to decide is which side of the tank would ideal to stick the suction cup basket to. But, I understand you concern of more stress being given to the nem.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
surgicalsense

Discovered this, this morning when I turned my tank lights on.

Okay ... well now my porcelain crab has found the nem. It is hosting it, The clowns near by it, but not snuggling it. The crab is right next to it hanging upside down on the huge LR the nem is attached to.

I guess the porcelain will keep the clowns away?

I also agree with the soap dish....PEA keeps all thier nems in baskets similar to the soap dish at the end of thier runners

Yeah for about 2 days before they are sold. I would be interested to see who has used a basket for a long term solution.

jedimasterben

Okay ... well now my porcelain crab has found the nem. It is hosting it, The clowns near by it, but not snuggling it. The crab is right next to it hanging upside down on the huge LR the nem is attached to.

I had a pair of porcelain crabs that shared an 8" anemone with a pair of clownfish. When I moved my tank, the anemone shrunk to maybe 4" and the porcelain crabs annoyed it and stressed it out. They eat the mucus that comes off of the anemone in addition to filter feeding and scavenging, and in moving around can annoy the tentacles and cause it to shrink up.

Yeah for about 2 days before they are sold. I would be interested to see who has used a basket for a long term solution.

At the lfs I used to work at we kept all of our nems in baskets and they all did fine. We even had nems in them for months on end if we weren't able to sell them and they all did fine.

your kidding right? Obviously the nem cant walk anywhere but in the basket. Glass and plastic make nems easy to detach....they did this long term as well. They had these 3 nems once that were there for months. As long as there is flow and light and they can attach to something, flat or not, they will be able to hold themselves upright and not roll around. Just sayin...

your kidding right? Obviously the nem cant walk anywhere but in the basket. Glass and plastic make nems easy to detach....they did this long term as well. They had these 3 nems once that were there for months. As long as there is flow and light and they can attach to something, flat or not, they will be able to hold themselves upright and not roll around. Just sayin...

No no, not suggesting it won't attach, it will, it has to because survival depends on it. Looking at the size of the clowns in this tank and the nem, can anybody say how long before the nem is big enough for the clowns not to beat it to pulp? Also the nem won't walk out of that shallow soap dish you say? okay I'll allow that. What is stopping the clownfish from jumping into the basket?

My female clownfish was given a time out in a breeder net suspended at the top of the tank. The net is double if not more in height than a soap dish. Barely a week into punishment she jumped. Thank goodness I had a hood so she fell into the tank.

surgicalsense

The store I purchased kept the nems in a 9 x 5 basket and there where several in there thriving even with a clown. So the basket works.

However, I am being to wonder what is really pissing the nem off. Because when I purchased it, there was 3 other small nems in the basket and 1 black clown fish hosting 1 of the nems.

No no, not suggesting it won't attach, it will, it has to because survival depends on it. Looking at the size of the clowns in this tank and the nem, can anybody say how long before the nem is big enough for the clowns not to beat it to pulp? Also the nem won't walk out of that shallow soap dish you say? okay I'll allow that. What is stopping the clownfish from jumping into the basket?

My female clownfish was given a time out in a breeder net suspended at the top of the tank. The net is double if not more in height than a soap dish. Barely a week into punishment she jumped. Thank goodness I had a hood so she fell into the tank.

In my experience, clowns that have a nem that they are being hosted by will not jump even when spooked. I have kept clowns in different tanks and the only clown that ever jumped on me didn't have a nem. My current clowns have been in my tank for months without a top and haven't jumped. your clown probably jumped out of the breeder net because it was scared and didn't like being in a breeder net. my lfs keeps clowns in the baskets with the anemones to be sold as a nem clownfish bundle and while I worked there we never had a clown jump out of the basket.

Hold on let me rephase that. The dish will work as long as the top of the dish is out of the water.. nem will pick where it likes best...just in a small area

In my experience, clowns that have a nem that they are being hosted by will not jump even when spooked. I have kept clowns in different tanks and the only clown that ever jumped on me didn't have a nem. My current clowns have been in my tank for months without a top and haven't jumped. your clown probably jumped out of the breeder net because it was scared and didn't like being in a breeder net. my lfs keeps clowns in the baskets with the anemones to be sold as a nem clownfish bundle and while I worked there we never had a clown jump out of the basket.

Yes clowns and nems are hard to tear apart. The problem here is they need to be separated as they might be beating the nem too much.

surgicalsense

... also just fed the nem. It munched down the shrimp.

Works for what?

Just in general. Containing the nem.

Yes clowns and nems are hard to tear apart. The problem here is they need to be separated as they might be beating the nem too much.

correct. I was just going off of what you said about your clown jumping out of the breeder net. As long as the top of the basket is out of the water I don't think there would be an issue of the clowns jumping into basket with the nem. I would think it would be out of sight out of mind.

surgicalsense

correct. I was just going off of what you said about your clown jumping out of the breeder net. As long as the top of the basket is out of the water I don't think there would be an issue of the clowns jumping into basket with the nem. I would think it would be out of sight out of mind.

Plus my clowns are not so bright :lol: ... I think my six line would pick it up faster then them.

oh, yes for sure. Not sure how long you would have to hold the nem for it to grow large enough (not just inflate) to not be abused.

With daily feedings of half a silverside or shrimp it shouldnt take too long. definitely months but not years lol

surgicalsense

With daily feedings of half a silverside or shrimp it shouldnt take too long. definitely months but not years lol

Bubble tips are fast growers? As long as their environment is stable.

Bubble tips are fast growers? As long as their environment is stable.

I'm no bta expert but the ones that I have owned grew quite a bit when I was doing daily or every other day feedings. They didn't grow much when I stopped the feedings.

I would still blame the clowns and now the the crab is making it worse. Move it best idea for it. If you're worried about it crawling out cover the basket with the clear mesh from idk is it BRS and keep a flap so you can feed it. Simple. ;)

Hold on let me rephase that. The dish will work as long as the top of the dish is out of the water.. nem will pick where it likes best...just in a small area

:lol:

OMG Love you man crack me up. ;)

Also as a edit/side note, my LFS all of the 10 I frequent keep their nems in baskets until sold. Some have been there over 3 months, they look amazing.

surgicalsense

I wasn't worried about it crawling out, that was everyone else with their remarks. I was trying to see if someone could advise what is the best course of action to remove the nem from the LR it is on now without damaging it's foot. The crab is just beside it on the LR, I have not seen it crawl on it at all.

This is a tall order and can be a very frustrating process.

Some things ive done or heard of others doing in the past.

1) If it's foot isn't deep into the rock yet.

Use a turkey baster to blow at the its foot and use your fingernails or credit card to gently lift under the foot to keep it from reattaching.

2) Point a power head directly at it and hope it will move on it's own to a spot where you can detach it easier.

3) Use a old credit card to scrape gently at the base but if its on a porous surface like a rock it won't be as effective. In that case, use your fingernails to slowly peel up the base. This isn't something that will work in 2 minutes....it takes time and is not easy at all.

4) Another safe way is to remove the rock if you can and chisel off portion that it is attached to. Rock is expendable.

5) I would suggest changing the flow or lighting in some way so they will move on their own to find a better spot. Best case scenario is if you could put a small rock in their path and when they climb up on it, remove the rock with the Nem attached to it. Again, it will take some time.

surgicalsense

This is a tall order and can be a very frustrating process.

Some things ive done or heard of others doing in the past.

1) If it's foot isn't deep into the rock yet.

Use a turkey baster to blow at the its foot and use your fingernails or credit card to gently lift under the foot to keep it from reattaching.

2) Point a power head directly at it and hope it will move on it's own to a spot where you can detach it easier.

3) Use a old credit card to scrape gently at the base but if its on a porous surface like a rock it won't be as effective. In that case I use your fingernails to slowly peel up the base. This isn't something that will work in 2 minutes....it takes time and is not easy at all.

4) Another safe way is to remove the rock if you can and chisel off portion that it is attached to. Rock is expendable.

5) I would suggest changing the flow or lighting in some way so they will move on their own to find a better spot. Best case scenario is if you could put a small rock in their path and when they climb up on it, remove the rock with the Nem attached to it. Again, it will take some time.

Thank you!!! ....

I have done the whole lowing the lighting thing. Did not work, strangely enough it did not move.

Can not do the rock thing. It has crawled onto the main/largest base rock in my tank that supports the whole scape.

So I will keep, keep my eyes pealed on it and see if I get a chance to use the whole turkey baster plan.

:)

Archived