Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Danielle's • NC24 • Moderately updated • FTS 5/26

surgicalsense

I'm no help. My BTA has no bubble tips but all the tentacles are out and color is good so I have given up worrying for now. They are finicky suckers. I'd give it a few days.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Anemone can take a very long time to recover from stress (such as a new enclosure), and if it's being pestered (such as from your peppermint shrimp, which is one reason they are not welcome in my tank), it will likely never recover. I'd keep a close eye on, but only act if it begins to look worse and stays that way. No need to unnecessarily mess with it and cause more stress, just give it a while to figure things out on its own.

Question:

Would a peppermint shrimp eat the tentacles of a anemone if it was able to?

... my nem is eating, but half of the tentacles look retracted and irritated. Color looks fine also.

yQU0Idq.jpg

This is almost a duplicate picture.

CNoCESn.jpg

What about the clowns? Their much bigger then it and from the pics you posted originally they were hosting it. They could be getting a bit too rough with him.

Anything else in there that could possibly eat him? You got rid of the emerald right?

jedimasterben

If your anemone is not at least double the size of the clowns, they will (more than) probably beat it to death, and I'd recommend removing one or the other, if only temporarily until the anemone is of a good size.

It might be the clowns giving some rough love to the nem. Have you actually seen the pep on the nem? If you have then it could also mean that the pep is trying to get to the food the nem is eating.

surgicalsense

I'm no help. My BTA has no bubble tips but all the tentacles are out and color is good so I have given up worrying for now. They are finicky suckers. I'd give it a few days.

Thank you ... :)

Anemone can take a very long time to recover from stress (such as a new enclosure), and if it's being pestered (such as from your peppermint shrimp, which is one reason they are not welcome in my tank), it will likely never recover. I'd keep a close eye on, but only act if it begins to look worse and stays that way. No need to unnecessarily mess with it and cause more stress, just give it a while to figure things out on its own.

When I first got the nem it checked it out. But, so far I have not seen it try to bother it. However, I was really curious at night if it would try. I would need to lurk around the tank at night to verify this and report back.

What about the clowns? Their much bigger then it and from the pics you posted originally they were hosting it. They could be getting a bit too rough with him.

Anything else in there that could possibly eat him? You got rid of the emerald right?

The female is huge compared to the nem. As for the male, he is pretty equal in size. I am not sure if there is anything else in my tank that would secretly eat and pester the nem. As for the emerald, moved him out days after getting the nem.

If your anemone is not at least double the size of the clowns, they will (more than) probably beat it to death, and I'd recommend removing one or the other, if only temporarily until the anemone is of a good size.

... oh man, I will run it past my LFS because I don't have a place temporarily room and board either of them out side of the NC. My pico is perfect yet not mature enough for the nem and the lighting has not been upgraded yet.

:(

It might be the clowns giving some rough love to the nem. Have you actually seen the pep on the nem? If you have then it could also mean that the pep is trying to get to the food the nem is eating.

Only when I first introduced the nem into the tank, I did. Other then that, no. I was wondering if it was lurking around the nem at night. Like I mentioned to Jedi ... I might to lurk around my tank at night also to investigate anything else I have over looked.

...... Thank you, for all the additional suggestions and advise.

I will correct and figure this out ... Dang!

Can't you put the nem in a soap dish (the one you guys used for macros) until it gets a bit bigger? Or get a cheepo 10 gallon for the clowns to sit in for a little while just them. They don't need much a 20$ filter, some PVC and whatever ambient light will be fine.

Ahh thats terrible newz bout your beloved nem :(

If it dosent show good signs of improvement in a day or two. I would hit up Jin and see if can temporally hold it for u. I would but im a 2 /12 hours from there. But then again, thats only a normal ride home from work on the 5 Frwy in Cali :lol:

Good luc, im sure it will work out fine fingerscrossed

Can't you put the nem in a soap dish (the one you guys used for macros) until it gets a bit bigger? Or get a cheepo 10 gallon for the clowns to sit in for a little while just them. They don't need much a 20$ filter, some PVC and whatever ambient light will be fine.

+1

Didnt think about all that. Also some very good options!

Hope I helped a bit, I just don't want to see the pretty little nem get beat to death. horrible way to go. I bet $$$ it's the clowns though.

surgicalsense

What do you mean a soap dish? .... put that in NC to keep the nem stationary?

Something like this from Walmart, dollar store, target etc..

Make sure it has suction cups

126b45dc1e_zps3f911230.jpg

Oh....I like the purple!!!!! :D

I got to meet Felicia today. I just need to meet with Randi now.... and then all 4 of us girls together at one time :D

surgicalsense

I got to meet Felicia today. I just need to meet with Randi now.... and then all 4 of us girls together at one time :D

That is excellent ... yes, it would be really cool if we all could get together.

Something like this from Walmart, dollar store, target etc..

Make sure it has suction cups

126b45dc1e_zps3f911230.jpg

Oh I see now. Where would be the best location to place it in the tank? Also, how the heck do I get the nem to release it's foot from the LR it is in without hurting it? ..... thinking ..... thinking :lol: ..... seriously :blink:

Sorry to hear about your new nem. Randi's basket idea was great though. I use those suction soap baskets from Target for macros and mushrooms that aren't attached. I bet you could just keep the nem in there for a while to keep it away from the clowns. Sorry, but I know nothing about nems so I have no idea how to get it off the rock.

That would be so fun!

surgicalsense

No worries ...

Yes, her dish idea is excellent ... now it is removing/coaxing the nem to let go with it's foot so I can transfer it.

jedimasterben

I hate to say it, but you'll probably stress the nem out by putting it in that, especially for the amount of time it would need to grow beyond the size of your clowns. More harm than good, IMHO.

I still feel bad I didn't meet up with you guys when I was in California. So much going on lol. Missed my chance to goto Vivid too

I hate to say it, but you'll probably stress the nem out by putting it in that, especially for the amount of time it would need to grow beyond the size of your clowns. More harm than good, IMHO.

How? How would this happen when right now it's getting beat to death? I know it'll stress everything does but if it's in the same water the same flow and the same PAR WTF does it matter? And I hate to say it but didn't you lose everything when you tried your methods? I don't want to fight Ben but you are not 100% right and your tank proved that. Just sick of you bashing everyone's else's ideas or methods saying yours are the best when they haven't worked so far. K that's all. No fighting no arguing, just unless you have something helpful to say don't say it. Coming in here to say meh that won't work but not giving advise on how to help is redundant and not productive to these situations. (Sorry SS didn't meant to I am just at the end of a rope)

If it's covered with mesh on top so the clowns can't get in and placed on the bottom of the tank. I think moving the clowns would be the best idea but if that is not possible then this is another option. It's that or the nem dies for sure.

I like the basket idea, just do it right. Is he on a huge rock or a little piece of rubble SS? If it's a small rock just move the whole thing don't get him to detach.

jedimasterben

How? How would this happen when right now it's getting beat to death? I know it'll stress everything does but if it's in the same water the same flow and the same PAR WTF does it matter?

It won't be the same flow and it won't be the same amount of light, especially if it is screened. It will need to readjust, and if it doesn't like the place it is in, it will try and move, and if it can't get out, it will keep stressing.

If it's covered with mesh on top so the clowns can't get in and placed on the bottom of the tank. I think moving the clowns would be the best idea but if that is not possible then this is another option. It's that or the nem dies for sure.

Moving the clowns is a much better idea than moving the nem, I wholeheartedly agree on that, especially if the nem is in a spot that it likes already.

Im still new to keepings nems myself, but ill throw in my little 2 cents.

I had a nem that was very nice and gorgeous, bubbly and small just like yours was super bright to. It had no problem eat.

but started to lose its tentacles, and some started to shrink.

I had two possibilities, one my phosphate was alittle high. not bad though. all my fish and corals are fine and I have very little algea.

the other possibility was my clown, she was a big gal and she never would leave the nem anytime I came near the tank she was in it. and not just chillin she was swimming and wiggling and looked like she was almost beating it up.

eventually I felt bad for the nem and took it out.

Its now at a new store, in a nem only tank and after 2 weeks its bouncing back very nicely.

Clear mesh like you use on the tops of tanks will not change the Par.

Also if you work it right you can get the flow the same trust me I have done this myself. You just have to be careful and watch the bugger.

Like I said ben give advise not just criticism and you'll go further. ;)

For the nem to grow to a size that it won't get beaten to death by the clowns means a long time in a soap dish. Also since nems walk, there is no guarantee it will stay in the soap dish. Same thing with removing the clownfish how long to wait before the nem is big enough to handle the clowns?

Perhaps capping the nem with a bottle to protect it may work? Cut off bottom of bottle. Make holes on all sides for flow, use the top to feed it. Snails and things can crawl in but the fish won't be able to get to it.

I hope you get this anemone thing figured out! I like the soap dish idea the best. I think the only other option would be to remove the clowns and I know you don't want to do that!!!!

I still feel bad I didn't meet up with you guys when I was in California. So much going on lol. Missed my chance to goto Vivid too

SS wasn't able to make it that day either. Maybe we should all meet up in Vegas some day LOL.

I hope you get this anemone thing figured out! I like the soap dish idea the best. I think the only other option would be to remove the clowns and I know you don't want to do that!!!! SS wasn't able to make it that day either. Maybe we should all meet up in Vegas some day LOL.

Lolllll

I also agree with the soap dish....PEA keeps all thier nems in baskets similar to the soap dish at the end of thier runners

Archived