Top Shelf Aquatics

Danielle's • NC24 • Moderately updated • FTS 5/26

surgicalsense

surgicalsense
We need a new FTS. It's such a wonderful tank that needs to be shown off more. You've really done a marvelous job with it :)

I asked L, he has been forgetting. I will remind him again. He mentioned something about white balance with the shutter speed, then the rest of the talk about cameras sounded like, blah blah blah to me :lol:

* also we will be putting that macro gift box together for Sara within the 3 weeks ;)

The porcelain crab is MIA :unsure: out of all the inhabitance I have, could there be any of them that might eat the crab? Maybe I should turn my blue LEDs on and see if I can find when the orange glows.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
surgicalsense
That is a good practice. Macros eat up nitrates in a tank, and there is such a thing as too little nitrates. Macros also use up Iron. All elements in the correct amount are essential in a reef system.

I really like the look and balance they bring to the tank :happy: . I have also learned that some macros do not do well in my tank. I do dose a tad bit more, but still only drops. Because of what is left from the single large feeding session.

ScubaEthan
I have the blue lights on and dimmed the whites. That macro is red actually.

Yes, there is absolutely a threshold where to much macro will mess up the balance. I trim mine back often, I have given a bunch to gena and I am also mailing more of the green stuff to Sara, too. My corals put out more waste then my fish/inverts and the my feeding habits of the tank. I have to watch what I do.

Aaaahhhh

I will probably be in the macro trading fun in the near future. If any wants plain ole caulerpa that is.

Where did you get your poopometer?

surgicalsense
Aaaahhhh

I will probably be in the macro trading fun in the near future. If any wants plain ole caulerpa that is.

Where did you get your poopometer?

:lol: I did, but it is still sitting the box. Soon enough I will be using it.

Hey Danyello!! Dendros now gorgs??? WAAAY COOL!!!

Yes, the feedings are making it happy!

Spirofucci
:lol: I did, but it is still sitting the box. Soon enough I will be using it.

Yes, the feedings are making it happy!

I think some of those guys might be in my future, I really like them.

I really like the look and balance they bring to the tank :happy: . I have also learned that some macros do not do well in my tank. I do dose a tad bit more, but still only drops. Because of what is left from the single large feeding session.

Ulva totally melts for me, have tried it twice. Currently I have one little piece left in my macro fuge under T5's so hope it makes it. Blue Ochtodes are doing great. Yellow macros also completely melt, they need a very specific spectrum from what I understand.

surgicalsense
Ulva totally melts for me, have tried it twice. Currently I have one little piece left in my macro fuge under T5's so hope it makes it. Blue Ochtodes are doing great. Yellow macros also completely melt, they need a very specific spectrum from what I understand.

The Mermaids tail did not make it, but that was because the hermit had it for salad and grazed it down. So far everything else is growing like crazy and I am going to need to do some gardening in my tank soon.

I'm with them on you needing to post a new FTS. Its been too long! I need to see all the new stuff!

Spirofucci
I'm with them on you needing to post a new FTS. Its been too long! I need to see all the new stuff!

^THIS.

surgicalsense

I am waiting on L again.

Oh, I've been meaning to ask you. Can you explain to me how you frag your xenia, because I'm going to practice fragging it first before I start in on my zoas and palys?

surgicalsense
Oh, I've been meaning to ask you. Can you explain to me how you frag your xenia, because I'm going to practice fragging it first before I start in on my zoas and palys?

My xenia is a walker. so it was a portion of it that split itself and for some odd reason climped on a tube worm. I broke that part off and glued it to the plug and it stayed alive long enough for Gena to place it. The one I did before that, looked good for a day, then it crashed the next. But I did find a tutorial on youtube on fragging them. Hope that kinda helps, sorry I do not have more. I also haven't attempted to frag anymore since. Plus it keeps walking around that one side of my tank and looks like another stalk is finally going to split again. :P

My xenia is a walker. so it was a portion of it that split itself and for some odd reason climped on a tube worm. I broke that part off and glued it to the plug and it stayed alive long enough for Gena to place it. The one I did before that, looked good for a day, then it crashed the next. But I did find a tutorial on youtube on fragging them. Hope that kinda helps, sorry I do not have more. I also haven't attempted to frag anymore since. Plus it keeps walking around that one side of my tank and looks like another stalk is finally going to split again. :P

Thanks for the info! Mine is walking too, but its walking onto the main rock. I'm wondering if I can slice it off with a razor blade and then glue it to the plug, or if I have to use the bone cutters to take a chunk out of my pretty coralline coated rock (which I'd prefer not to do). Hmmm, off to youtube I guess :D

I like this approach. Seems easy!

surgicalsense

Yes, that is exact tutorial I used. I just did not do the rubber band thing.

I used the razor, I honestly think I did a lousy job and it was really awkward for me :P But I wouldn't want to do that to the rock either.

Yay macros! I need salt and sand to get my 40B going! Then I can have the fuge all ready for these. They'll go in my pico too!

surgicalsense
Yay macros! I need salt and sand to get my 40B going! Then I can have the fuge all ready for these. They'll go in my pico too!

In just a few weeks darlin. I just want to make sure I am able to give you a nice clipping. Then that stuff is going to growing so fast, your going to clipping it all the time ;)

Yes, that is exact tutorial I used. I just did not do the rubber band thing.

I used the razor, I honestly think I did a lousy job and it was really awkward for me :P But I wouldn't want to do that to the rock either.

I'm sure its going to be much harder than it looks. Especially since I can't take it out of the tank and will have to cut it with my hands down in the tank. I may just use the soft tissue scissors I ordered to cut it instead of trying to deal with the razor blade.

surgicalsense
I'm sure its going to be much harder than it looks. Especially since I can't take it out of the tank and will have to cut it with my hands down in the tank. I may just use the soft tissue scissors I ordered to cut it instead of trying to deal with the razor blade.

That would be a clean cut, which I think is better. When I used the razor, it was a jagged mess.

Good to know! One of my xenia stalks has walked off and is producing shade over my undata so I figure its the perfect piece to practice on first. Thanks for the advice guys :)

surgicalsense

Update:

Water change√

Fed tank√

... missing porcelain crab :( bummer, I only had the darn thing for 36 to 48 hours.

However, I am happy to report the pencil urchin is making it's way around the tank. Everyone else is accounted for and happy.

All 3 of my porcelain crabs are experts at hiding. I only see them once a week or so. Its the same with my pom pom crab. I used to get worried about him when he disappeared for weeks on end and then all of a sudden I'd see him out and about. I wouldn't give up hope on the crab yet!

My pom pom disappears all the time too. It likes to come out when I put in phytofeast. Then I see him mopping all the rocks with his nems. :)

Archived